• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NEW Bach Commercial Trumpet Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rap wrote:
Wonder what vintage lead piece the MV is designed from.

My guess would be Jet-Tone
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a new and totally unique design. I helped design it along with some folks at the Bach factory.
www.richwetzel.com
www.facebook.com/rich.wetzel
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple clips of me playing my Bach 7MV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-mw8b0W5ps

https://youtu.be/nZZGGGUDZm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2_3PE8Rahw
www.richwetzel.com
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Depth? Reply with quote

groovinhigher wrote:
ronnyc wrote:
So what are they calling shallow - is it an E cup, an F cup?

Those two cups were traditional bowl designs.

These are new designs with a little relief and different angle but shallow to medium shallow with a completely new backbore so the best thing is to go try it.

Yes, Bach E and F cups are certainly 'traditional bowl,' glad to see somebody say it! Ample room in the market for Bach to come out with something commercial. Today I got to play the Bach commercial trumpet with my Greg Black 1.25 S mpc that I'm pretty used to playing now. That axe was a joy to play! Esp while stepping on the gas, it did get a nice "Bach" sound, and was really stable.

I can envision benefit to a mpc designed to mate that trumpet. Hope these become available soon!

Rich, are you playing a Bach commercial trumpet in those youtube clips, or what? Talk about some sizzle, good Lord!

Now I can see people getting the MV confused with Mt Vernon, haha
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Depth? Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
groovinhigher wrote:
ronnyc wrote:
So what are they calling shallow - is it an E cup, an F cup?

Those two cups were traditional bowl designs.

These are new designs with a little relief and different angle but shallow to medium shallow with a completely new backbore so the best thing is to go try it.

Yes, Bach E and F cups are certainly 'traditional bowl,' glad to see somebody say it! Ample room in the market for Bach to come out with something commercial. Today I got to play the Bach commercial trumpet with my Greg Black 1.25 S mpc that I'm pretty used to playing now. That axe was a joy to play! Esp while stepping on the gas, it did get a nice "Bach" sound, and was really stable.

I can envision benefit to a mpc designed to mate that trumpet. Hope these become available soon!

Rich, are you playing a Bach commercial trumpet in those youtube clips, or what? Talk about some sizzle, good Lord!

Now I can see people getting the MV confused with Mt Vernon, haha

Thanks and yes, I am playing the large bore Bach commercial trumpet, lacquer finish, the LT190L1B with my Bach Commercial Trumpet Mouthpiece the 7MV with a slight modification in that I had a rim I have been playing for years threaded onto the mouthpiece.

I feel really blessed and lucky too, both turned out awesome and a lot of great players are digging both the trumpets and the mouthpieces!

Dealers should be getting them in this month, March
www.richwetzel.com
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm interested in the MP with the MV cup. I have no experience with this cup. I abandoned Bach mouthpieces years ago when I found Schilke rims to be more comfortable. Can someone tell me what this cup is like? Is it just a shallow V version of the S or is it a more, and larger/deeper, V cup? I currently play a Denis Wick 4C and have been looking at the 5MV and the 7MV, which would be closer to the 4C? I've looked at a chart, but I have found charts to be iffy. Everybody seems to have their own measuring point.

Thanks, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a little off topic, but I just played some of the clips on You Tube with Rich Wentzel and if I thought for one moment that a new Bach commercial mouthpiece would let me play like him, I'd order a dozen tonight. ln my dreams I play O Danny Boy like Rich.
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
jerseyguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Dillon this weekend to try out their Flugel and also try some different mouthpieces for the drum corps I'm doing (G bugle), and they had a 7S, but that was it - that's the only one Bach has sent them (I believe elsewhere in the thread someone said they were going to ship to dealers in March).

I currently play a Curry 3B or Schile 14a4, but played around with the 7S. It was a lot lighter than I thought it would be.. I'm not an experienced player so I havent tried all different types of MPCs, but I thought based on the shape and pictures it would be heavier, but it felt lighter than the Curry 3C I was also trying.

I also expected it to feel a lot smaller than the Schilke 14a4, but it felt almost the same size. The rim was very comfortable (with a slighly bent forward tooth, a lot of rims hurt - but the Curry 3 rims and the Schilke "4" rims I find very comfortable, and the Bach 7S was just as comfortable!)

Two interesting things - notes slotted much better for me on the Bach - in another thread I posted about how E above high C is a trouble note for me, alwyas under or overshooting, and even when holding it it pops up or down, but on the Bach it wasnt - first time on any horn or any mpc where i could just hit it dead center repeatedly. However - i really couldn't play anything below low B - just couldn't get a sound to come out.. I guess maybe a little too shallow or small (even though it didn't feel it)? Doing a chromatic from low C down just stopped after B.. sometimes the Bb came but that was it.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyguy wrote:
I also expected it to feel a lot smaller than the Schilke 14a4, but it felt almost the same size. The rim was very comfortable (with a slighly bent forward tooth, a lot of rims hurt - but the Curry 3 rims and the Schilke "4" rims I find very comfortable, and the Bach 7S was just as comfortable!)

You say that the Bach was comfortable but would you say that the rim and bite of the 7S were more similar to that of the Schilke 14a4, the Curry 3C or the traditional Bach 7C?
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
rap

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Did the 7S feel very shallow? Was it similar to the 14a4 or shallower? How was the sound? Did you feel you could vary the tonal colors?

I’m looking for an all round commercial piece and am drawn to the 10.5MV as the specs suggest it is a similar inner diameter to pieces I use but the advertising and videos suggest they may be specialized lead pieces and perhaps not what I’m looking for.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two-week waiting period for mine to be shipped from Mouthpiece Express is creeping up on five weeks now. Wonder if I'd have had better luck ordering from some other vendor.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
The two-week waiting period for mine to be shipped from Mouthpiece Express is creeping up on five weeks now. Wonder if I'd have had better luck ordering from some other vendor.

I ordered a 5MV and 7MV from Dillon Music, and they let me know today that they are starting to get a trickle of the mouthpieces from Bach...so Bach is just now starting to get them out to their vendors.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So has anyone played the 3MV? Just wondering how the depth compares to a 3C.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an email from Dillon Music my 3MV is on the way!! Hope to have it Tuesday or Wednesday. Will post my feedback after I have a chance to play it!!
trptmindfk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, About to receive a 3MV tomorrow. Yay! Do you know if anyone has tried these with drilled out throats? I ask because many players seem to prefer a 25 or 24 instead of the stock 27. I know most principal players using Bach mp on their C trumpets go to a 24 or 23 drill, not sure how this works on the Bb.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptmindfk wrote:
Rich, About to receive a 3MV tomorrow. Yay! Do you know if anyone has tried these with drilled out throats? I ask because many players seem to prefer a 25 or 24 instead of the stock 27. I know most principal players using Bach mp on their C trumpets go to a 24 or 23 drill, not sure how this works on the Bb.

Great question. My 3MV also just shipped from Mouthpiece Express and should be here by tomorrow.

Has there been any movement toward adding the MV 1 1/2C to the lineup?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess the new 3MV isn't a mouthpiece you'd want to use on a C trumpet for classical music. Haven't tried, one, though, so that's just a wild guess based on its description as a commercial mouthpiece. Same goes for a large throat on a commercial piece for "commercial" Bb playing.
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usedtobegood wrote:
Got an email from Dillon Music my 3MV is on the way!! Hope to have it Tuesday or Wednesday. Will post my feedback after I have a chance to play it!!

OUT FOR DELIVERY! The three favorite words of any trumpet player!!

Thank goodness I work from home!!
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usedtobegood wrote:
Usedtobegood wrote:

OUT FOR DELIVERY! The three favorite words of any trumpet player!!

Thank goodness I work from home!!

Awesome! I'm very curious about this mouthpiece, so I'm looking forward to your review.
trumphat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my 7MV and 7S. Played thru the lead book of Basie Straight Ahead, along with the cd, on the 7S. I usually use a Yamaha 7A4 for lead work, however the 7S felt very much the same on my chops, but the results were a brighter, more cutting tone. Intonation and slotting were very good. Overall I'd say it was a better fit for me when doing this kind of work. I like the 7MV too, however for jazz playing I use a NY Bach 7BW and a Reeves 41 C2J, so I'm not sure what situation I'll use it for. Time will tell. Overall I think these are great additions to the trumpet players arsenal of tools. Bach did a great job designing these and the name "Commercial" is right on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: