• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

RIP Denny Schneider, 1931-2016

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: RIP Denny Schneider, 1931-2016 Reply with quote

In Memoriam: Dennis Schneider (1931-2016)

Former UNL professor and trumpet great Schneider dies
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An awesome teacher and a wonderful man. I played in the UNL Lab Band in 1973-74 under his direction. He was primarily an orchestral player but he was a pioneer in jazz education. He established the Jazz Studies program at UNL in an era when such programs were few and far between. It was Denny who inspired me to found the Nebraska Jazz Orchestra 40 years ago. To me he will always be the most important person in the history of jazz music in Lincoln.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny was everybody's friend. Such a kind man! I studied with him for two summers during my high school years, and we were friends ever since. His beautiful, warm tone on the trumpet was the best I've ever heard. I am so sad about this.

Dave Hickman
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting what a small world this is and how things seem to come full circle if enough years go by. In the prior post Dave Hickman refers to studying with Denny in the summers during the time Dave was in high school. I attended the All State summer music program at UNL for two summers when I was in high school. As I recall, the program was three weeks in length. Denny would meet with students in groups of three during that program. My group was me, Dave Hickman and Don Gorder. WOW!! Dave and Don became monster players. I just think of myself as a guy who plays and loves the trumpet.

In retrospect, what an honor it was to be in the study group with Dave and Don and have the privilege of working with Denny!! Denny's combo played at my wedding reception and he was featured along with me, Mike Brownson and L.J. McCormick on a Nebraska Jazz Orchestra regular season concert several years ago entitled "Trumpet Madness." It was one of Denny's last public performances.

Denny and I both had an interest in Benge trumpets. Denny had studied briefly with Elden Benge in Chicago. Back in the 1960's Denny was a Benge "dealer". Back in those days Benge sold trumpets primarily through trumpet teachers rather than through stores. My father purchased my Burbank Benge 3X through Denny in 1966. I've been playing it as my primary horn for 50 years.

In my signature I quote the fact that the problem with the trumpet is that when you open the case you don't know whether you're looking at a friend or a can of worms. Denny had heard that quote somewhere and told me about it during rehearsal for the "Trumpet Madness" concert. He had such a wonderful sense of humor about the trials and tribulations of playing trumpet.

Denny was an amazing gentleman and a fabulous trumpet player. I will always treasure his memory.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to reconnect after all these years. Don went on to become a monster jazz player, and is now the director of the Berkelee School of Music. Laurie Frink was also in my group one of my summers there. She had terrible chop problems back then, but Denny fixed her up. No surprise that she became a great chop doc.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to resurrect this thread - I got to know Dennis a little bit when I was growing up in SW Nebraska. I attended a clinic that he gave once where he ripped through the Goedicke at about warp 9 and made it look like child's play. Wonderful player, super nice guy.

He adjudicated me at least once at district music contests and awarded me a 1+ on my trumpet solo - the aforementioned Goedicke.

I was sad when I heard he'd passed, but no one lives forever, and at 84, he had a heck of a run.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in knowing more about Denny (and trust me, you DO!), please check out my dissertation...link below.

Straight Ahead: The Life, Pedagogy, and Influence of Dennis L. Schneider

It was one of the great honors of my life to research Denny, and to speak to so many of his amazing students. I was fortunate enough to study with Denny a bit in college (although I didn't go to the University of Nebraska...my undergrad professor did).

Louie
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: RIP Denny Schneider 1931-2016 Reply with quote

Living in S. Dakota I know of this man only by reputation. But, I think something that a hockey announcer said about Wayne Gretzky is also true of Mr. Schneider. The announcer said Wayne Gretzky is the greatest hockey player of all time, but he is an even better man. This is doubtless true of Denny Scnneider also. He has left a pretty big footprint
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: