• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece for the Soprano Cornet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knut Andreas Lil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece for the Soprano Cornet Reply with quote

Hi people. This is the first post I have made on here, as I figured you guys might be able to help me out here.

I'm a 17 years old soprano player from Norway. I've played the Sop for 2 1/2 years now, but I still have a problem yet to figure out; The mouthpiece. I'm currently playing on a Denis Wick S, but I have some problems with it. Here is a list of the mouthpieces I've tried, and a short description of them on how they felt for me, personally.

Yahama 6B4: By far the worst I've tried. Too small diameter and too shallow cup. I had a bad range and tone with this one.

Denis Wick S: The mouthpiece I'm currently most comfortable with. The problem with this particular mouthpiece is that I feel I can't get enough air through, and I lack a bit of the crispy "soprano sound". My volume (Decibels) in the top of my register (around the high C), is also strongly reduced (Despite my A's and A# are fine)

Vincent Bach 3C: Got recommended this by a lot of people. Played on it a couple of months. I think the problem I had with this mouthpiece was the diameter was just a tiny bit too big, so it didn't feel comfortable on my lips. I liked the sound I got with it though (perhaps a bit too crisp), but my range was reduced compared to the S. (The peak of my registre was around A#)

Can you guys help me out here? I feel like I need in the mix of a 3C and S, but I'm not sure where to look.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a lot of success with Mark Curry's 3P on a Schilke Eb Soprano Cornet.
If the Bach 3C felt too big, I'd suggest Curry's 5P.

Tone, Range, pitch, and edurance have all been the best without question of all the mouthpieces I've tried on this instrument..

I've used Bach 1.5 C, 3C, 3B, 5C, Yamaha 14B4, Wyck 4, a couple of Conn's and the Schilke that came with the horn.

good luck on your hunt!
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Mike Lockman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too play the Eb soprano chair in a brass band. I have settled on the Denis Wick S Herarige series mouthpiec. I have trie the Bach 3D, 7C,7D, and 7E. The Bach mps all feel good and I could play at he high parts I always felt the sound was too bright. The Denis Wick has the perfect brass band sound.As far a range, my setup tops out around the high B. My parts in the band never go any higher than Bb. iMHO the soprano part needs to soar above the but not stick out with a bright trumpet sound. If I were you I would stick with the Denis Wick S. The Heritage series is a take off on the old cornet shaped mp. Good luck!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't honestly name all the pieces I've put in a sop...

Like yourself, I couldn't play the 6B4.
The Wick S was also too small ID for me, really.
The 3C is more my kind of ID, but like you I find it a bit too bright.
I can't say the 5C worked for me (my Mt V 5c is currently for sale) as a sop piece, rim isn't really supportive enough - the Curry 5C I tried had a very similar rim to my mt vernon.

The Bach 6C is worth trying - you get a little more cup volume than the 3C and the ID is a little bit smaller, it's a really comfy rim, too... most underrated piece in the Bach Catalogue, IMHO.

In all honesty, there are WAY too many pieces out there to give a comprehensive list of suggestions - and your post doesn't really narrow it down all that much .
Is there somewhere you could try a few out?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which soprano cornet do you play? That makes a difference about which mouthpiece I would recommend. I recently tried many and brought many mouthpieces to each session. There was not a universal fit.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Richard said, the selection of an MP may depend a lot from the brand and model / variant of the Eb .
you play.

E.g. On my CarolBrass CCR-7775 Eb with gold brass bell, the Wick S seems to be somewhat loud and perhaps subtly brash, with a slight nasal component to the sound. Oddly enough, the S is quite lovely and sweet on my CarolBrass CCR-7772 3-crooks Bb with gold brass bell. In some ways, it sounds slightly darker than the Curry BBC... Go figure!

On the Eb, my prefered pieces are the Curry DC and TC for a more brilliant sound, the Curry BBC for a more lyrical sound, and -- oddly enough -- the Kanstul FB for flugel Bach taper for a subtly more velvety sonic signature.

Amongst all of them, I suspect you might discover the Curry DC and TC to fit your needs more than the BBC... But I might be wrong.

Range does not appear to be an issue on any of the above.

On a related topic, I wonder how the sonic signature of the Wick S Heritage differs from the standard Wick S. One Wick cornet piece that I am also interested in trying out is the cornet Ultra series... Anyone tried it?

Regards, Guido
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I still want to know what the OP plays, I will echo Guido's recommendation for the Curry DC. In my B&H Imperial, it gives a warmth to the sound that I find pleasing, whereas the Wick S imparts a brightness and fullness that would be appropriate to some bands. However, the Curry DC did not work for some of the other sopranos I have tried. So back to the original question I had.

A partial list of mouthpieces I have and have tried:

Yamaha 7D4d
Bach 17C
Curry DC, TC, BBC, P
Kanstul CGP
Marcinkiewicz CGP, both 22 and 16 throats
Conn Special (Vintage)
Wick S and 5B

Conn 22B Trumpet
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a while to settle on a soprano mouthpiece. I did NOT like the Wick S. Throat was too large and created a tone that was too diffuse. Shallower cups provided support for the top range, but typically resulted in a too-bright tone.

I started on a Bach 7E, which is a deeper cup than you would suspect, and has a wide-open Bach 117 backbore. It was a surprisingly good combo, but was a bit too bright for my tastes. I went through some Warburtons, with progressively deeper cups, and eventually settled on a Sparx 4. It gave me a tone that had less "edge" to it, while not getting too diffuse, and worked well in the upper register as well.

It's also important to note that the mouthpiece is going to depend a LOT on the horn you're using too. I switched from a Schilke to a Getzen and it totally changed the right mouthpiece for me.

Good luck!
Knut Andreas Lil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Which soprano cornet do you play? That makes a difference about which mouthpiece I would recommend. I recently tried many and brought many mouthpieces to each session. There was not a universal fit.

I play a 7 year old Yahama Xeno, which is actually a pretty decent horn.
Knut Andreas Lil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Even though I still want to know what the OP plays, I will echo Guido's recommendation for the Curry DC. In my B&H Imperial, it gives a warmth to the sound that I find pleasing, whereas the Wick S imparts a brightness and fullness that would be appropriate to some bands. However, the Curry DC did not work for some of the other sopranos I have tried. So back to the original question I had.

Yamaha 7D4d
Bach 17C
Curry DC, TC, BBC, P
Kanstul CGP
Conn Special (Vintage)
Wick S and 5B

What I think I need is a mouthpiece with a slightly shallower cup than the DW S. I'm no mouthpiece expert, but I feel like I'm in need of a mouthpiece that is a bit better in the higher register, with a bit sharper, crisper sound, but at the same time allows enough air to pass through so volume won't be an issue. Is this too much to beg for? Does this description fit any of the mouthpieces you have listed?
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andreas, your request is quite reasonable... No need to "beg" *Grins!*

In the cornet pieces that I have experienced with my CarolBrass sop, I suspect the Curry DC would match your hope best.... Supports the upper range, has brilliance, and still retains a wonderful gracefulness in its tonal signature. Immediately following, is the Curry TC, with a slightly more fluted cup... A truly marvellous piece with a hairbreadth less brilliance, but with a gracefulness to die for.

In the Curry cornet line, the P is the shallowest of all, and the most brilliant as well... Perhaps its brilliance starts to merge into the domain of "brightness" and in my openion has less overall grace than the other two pieces.

Of course, with your Yammi, results might be different.

Saluti, Guido
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knut Andreas Lil wrote:
Richard III wrote:

Yamaha 7D4d
Bach 17C
Curry DC, TC, BBC, P
Kanstul CGP
Conn Special (Vintage)
Wick S and 5B

What I think I need is a mouthpiece with a slightly shallower cup than the DW S. I'm no mouthpiece expert, but I feel like I'm in need of a mouthpiece that is a bit better in the higher register, with a bit sharper, crisper sound, but at the same time allows enough air to pass through so volume won't be an issue. Is this too much to beg for? Does this description fit any of the mouthpieces you have listed?

Interesting. I now get what you are looking for. What is funny is that with the Xeno, the Wick had the best response for me. But with your requirements, I would say the Curry P might fit the bill.

Guido, I see where you are going with this also. I agree that the DC and TC might be good, however, personally, I did not find them a good match with the Yamaha.

Compromises are needed here. The Curry P will give the support and crispness, but you have to be careful as with more air it can get a little bright. I have a feeling that there might be something with some mouthpiece makers that are a little higher priced. I would be inclined to call Parke Mouthpieces. I have spoken to them as well as a very good player who uses them and I think the sound you are looking for might be there. They do offer trials for a price, but the bottom line is that they are more expensive.

Another option is GR. With the cup variations, dialing in of the sound you want is quite possible. However, $200 might be too much. You could order three Curry mouthpieces for that price.

Any input from other Yamaha players out there?

Conn 22B Trumpet
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard, you might be right about Curry TC and DC not being ideal matches for the Yamaha sops... So much of this is horn dependent as well as player dependent. The Curry P is definitely the crispest cornet piece in my possession. Might work better for Andreas than the other ones I use... And still does not break the bank with a premium price.

I would not be surprised if some GR or Park worked even better for ANdreas... But... Ouch, those would be expensive safaris to undertake *Grins!*

Guido
Knut Andreas Lil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuidoCorona wrote:
Hi Richard, you might be right about Curry TC and DC not being ideal matches for the Yamaha sops... So much of this is horn dependent as well as player dependent. The Curry P is definitely the crispest cornet piece in my possession. Might work better for Andreas than the other ones I use... And still does not break the bank with a premium price.

I would not be surprised if some GR or Park worked even better for ANdreas... But... Ouch, those would be expensive safaris to undertake *Grins!*

Guido

This Curry P mouthpiece you're talking about...How exactly is it compared to the Denis Wick S? The diameter of the rim for instance. Is it good all-round? Are there different models to it? (After looking up some information, it seems like there are models like 1P, 2P, 3P...Gosh, this isn't easy!)
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used DC and TC back when I used a Xeno (among many others).. Hard work up top but great sound. I used 2 & 3 rims though, and you'd probably want 8.5 or 10.5 so you may find them suitable.

Another option would be to try Warburton's - you'd want D or XD cups from sounds of it, and probably the 6 rim... A bigger backbore (10-12, usually star) is common on sop.
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andreas, for information on the Curry P, you can start by visiting the Curry cornet mouthpieces home:

http://currympc.com/index.php?id=49

You will find the P listed in several web sites, including Mouthpiece Express....

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=197_228_241

If you follow the links to any of the rim sizes, you will also find a link to the tech specs....

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/pages/popups/specs_curry_piccolo_tpt.html

To make things even more fun, Curry has also a 600 line of mouthpieces... I believe they might be designed to be more brilliant than the standard line, but I have not tried them. The 600 lilne has an S model, which is the shallowest of the group. See:

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=197_198_336_337

Welcome to the wonderful world of... Mouthpiece safari confusion *grins!*

Guido
Knut Andreas Lil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuidoCorona wrote:
Hi Andreas, for information on the Curry P, you can start by visiting the Curry cornet mouthpieces home:

http://currympc.com/index.php?id=49

You will find the P listed in several web sites, including Mouthpiece Express....

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=197_228_241

If you follow the links to any of the rim sizes, you will also find a link to the tech specs....

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/pages/popups/specs_curry_piccolo_tpt.html

To make things even more fun, Curry has also a 600 line of mouthpieces... I believe they might be designed to be more brilliant than the standard line, but I have not tried them. The 600 lilne has an S model, which is the shallowest of the group. See:

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=197_198_336_337

Welcome to the wonderful world of... Mouthpiece safari confusion *grins!*

Guido

Well, I have now invested in a Curry 10.5P mouthpiece. Hopefully it will work out (it's no disaster if it doesn't, it wasn't expensive), and I can probably give an update later when I receive it. Thanks guys!
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andreas, keep us posted!

Regards, Guido
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At GR we make 7 different progressive cups in many sizes as well as the Sparx Cornet Series for Ted Sparks.

http://grmouthpieces.com/gr-cornet.html

http://grmouthpieces.com/sparx-cornet.html

For Soprano most use the Sparx E, or GR Cor #2 Cup.
Contact Ted Sparks, he is a player with years of experience.

www.sparxmusic.com

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stork make a soprano mouthpiece. Give Phyllis at Stork a call.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: