• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A horn you feel is clearly superior to an Eterna Severinsen

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: A horn you feel is clearly superior to an Eterna Severinsen Reply with quote

Really a devil's advocate question. I just got a Severinsen and feel like it's an amazing playing horn. Hard to envision a horn that plays nicer.

So, if you've had one and got something you thought was clearly superior, what was/is it, and why? Maybe I'll hunt for one and compare.

To clarify, ideally not just some trade-show comparison but you had played an Eterna Severinsen as your primary go-to Bb and were very familiar with it, but at some point decided you liked something better.

Yeah I know, ymmv, there's no such thing as the best horn, yada yada. I'm just curious.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll toss this out: "superior" in what way(s)? Tone color (and WHAT tonal color, bright, dark, etc. Someone wanting a bright sound would not like a horn that tends to play darker)? Slotting (and not everyone likes secure slots)? Mechanics (valves, etc.)? Overall build fit/finish? Openness? "Efficiency"?

My point is, "superior" or "better" is pretty subjective, IMO.

Brad
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Ok, I'll toss this out: "superior" in what way(s)? Tone color (and WHAT tonal color, bright, dark, etc. Someone wanting a bright sound would not like a horn that tends to play darker)? Slotting (and not everyone likes secure slots)? Mechanics (valves, etc.)? Overall build fit/finish? Openness? "Efficiency"?

My point is, "superior" or "better" is pretty subjective, IMO.

Brad

Yes, it can be subjective. For my purposes, what I'm asking is a horn anyone decided they preferred to play over a Severinsen whatever the reason, ideally not just on the basis of a few minutes at some trade show but that they had previously played the Severinsen as their go-to horn. In fact I'll modify my original question to reflect that. At the moment that would be covered under the "why" of my original question.

So, for my purposes my answer to your question is "yes".
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is really only one person who can answer that.

Doc himself. And he did move on to put his name on other horns.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a 72 Severinsen for a couple years and generally appreciated it. However, I eventually compared it to a new Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, sold the Sev, and kept the Classic. Sound and response for me were virtually the same. Ergonomic qualities of the Classic were superior - again, for me.

While I really appreciate my Classic if I could have only one Bb trumpet, it would probably be my Strad 180S37. This in spite of the fact that the horn I have been playing for the last couple weeks has been my restored Leblanc 707 Sonic - the doggone thing is such a pretty horn...

Jim
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll respond with something. The two easiest horns to play that I own are my 1956 Selmer Balanced Model 23A and my 1956 Martin Committee Deluxe. They are both super-responsive horns. Both horns are in pristine condition.

I own a Getzen Eterna Severinsen LB in pristine condition and it is a fine horn, too, but the Selmer and the Martin are easier to play/more responsive than the Severinsen. I do like the sound produced by the Severinsen a lot. I can understand why Doc loved that model.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Severinsen I've ever played was at the Getzen display at the 2013 NAMM show. I only played it briefly and didn't like it. To me, it was stiff and didn't feel like it was playing with me, but was fighting me. Some players I imagine like the resistance thing, but I like a "willing dance partner." To me, there are many trumpets I would rather play. Here are some of them:

Wild Thing
Schilke X4
Kanstul 1601
Kanstul 1001
Getzen 3052
Scodwell (I don't know which model)
Bach 180S7/7
Bach Commercial ML
Selmer CG

All of these trumpets have a smooth blow, intuitive response and together feel, none of which the Getzen Severinsen had.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I think there is really only one person who can answer that.

Doc himself. And he did move on to put his name on other horns.

It would be interesting to hear the details of why he left Getzen, whether it was primarily a business issue or what. If it's common knowledge I've never heard the story. I recall hearing him express some disgruntlement with one his later sponsor affiliates - Conn maybe? - basically because he felt they weren't listening to him. Maybe someone can correct me on who that was.

The first time I met him at the Tonight Show he was playing an old Strad which I later heard was his pet horn. Whether that's a fact I don't know.

Comeback wrote:
I played a 72 Severinsen for a couple years and generally appreciated it. However, I eventually compared it to a new Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, sold the Sev, and kept the Classic. Sound and response for me were virtually the same.

My understanding is the 900 Eterna Classic is supposed to be identical in playing characteristics to the Severinsen.

But it doesn't have the cool factor of Doc's name on it!
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Getzen Severinsen was designed to be able to adapt to anything because Doc couldn't make up his mind what he really wanted. It's a really interesting beast to play, but I never really "lock into" it.

The new Getzen Proteus is simply amazing, and also covers an enormous tonal palette, even with the same mpc. I don't know how far along they are with developing their custom Reserve Bb, but it'll be a monster!

There are a couple Companies Doc was disappointed with after Getzen. They're a hard act to follow!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
There are a couple Companies Doc was disappointed with after Getzen. They're a hard act to follow!

I see he went back to Getzen for a couple of years.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to Brian's comment about the Severinsen Getzen feeling stiff - I think I've played horns from every manufacturer where Doc has put his name on a horn. To me, they were all "stiff" so clearly that blow is what Doc really likes and you can't argue with his success.
Over the years, I have always liked the original Getzen Severinsen models over other Doc horns. They're still great horns.
Fast forward to now - I am playing on the Shires Doc model as my main horn. It really suits me well and - for me - it's the best one yet.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comeback wrote:
I played a 72 Severinsen for a couple years and generally appreciated it. However, I eventually compared it to a new Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, sold the Sev, and kept the Classic. Sound and response for me were virtually the same.

Robert P wrote:
My understanding is the 900 Eterna Classic is supposed to be identical in playing characteristics to the Severinsen.

But it doesn't have the cool factor of Doc's name on it!

Pretty much identical playing characteristics between the old Sev and modern Classic were indeed what I found to be true. The first slide saddle and redesigned third slide stop and finger ring were improvements for me in the Classic. I also really appreciate the use of sterling silver and silver plate in the Classic, which seems to keep the horn cleaner longer due to the oligodynamic properties of silver.

I enjoy listening to Doc, and frequently do so. His name on my horn didn't seem to do much for my trumpeting...unfortunately.

Jim
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I played a Getzen Eterna (early 70's) for a brief time, but I didn't like the response and tone nearly as much as my Selmer K-mod. I have played on numerous horns since that time (Benge, Bach, Schilke, Yamaha), and all of them for various reasons. Now I've come full circle and my favorite all-around horn is the Selmer K-mod. Go figure.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Eterna Severinsen in 1975 after graduating from high school. It was my first pro horn and I loved it, but my teachers never did. In 1983 I bought a Claude Gordon Selmer. I was getting ready to do my senior recital, and wasn't really planning to transition completely to it until after the recital because I had practiced so much on the Getzen. I had a musician friend in the band room with me, sitting at the other end of the room, when I A'B'd the horns. I played the opening section of the Kennan on the Getzen, and then played it on the Selmer. Her eyes got really huge and her jaw nearly hit the floor because the sound was so much bigger and darker. I sold the Getzen to one of my students and played the Selmer for the next eight years. The Selmer was more versatile and had more depth in the sound, and still responded like a smaller horn. The one thing it didn't do as well as the Getzen, for me, at least, was cut through the band in the upper register. In spite of the fact that it sounded louder to me, it didn't have the focused projection of the Getzen and wasn't nearly as bright. For years I had to deal with band leaders saying they couldn't hear me even though I felt I was blowing my brains out. I finally retired the Selmer in favor of a Bach LR180, which I've been playing now for 24 years (my son has been using my Selmer now for eight years and loves it). It has that great Bach sound, with better response and intonation than the standard Strads I tried, but it is still not as free in the upper register as my Severinsen was. There are days I really miss my Getzen. It wasn't as good for all-around playing as my Bach, but it sure was a great lead horn. Maybe someday when I've got money to burn I'll get another one, though I'd really like to try some other horns, especially the Stomvi VRII and the S3 before I go back to a Getzen.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Doc and Getzen Reply with quote

I feel I can lend some input on the Getzen Severinsen Eterna model, almost from day one. For starters, Doc never played "his" Eterna with the Kiefer made two piece bell that was on the production models instead having a Bach bell with the name sanded off and the Getzen logo rolled on. He did perform only on the Getzen for years and lobbied Harold Knowlton (owner of Getzen at the time) to start using a one piece bell like the Bach. There was a bit of tension between Doc and Knowlton due to the fact that Doc had stopped drinking alcohol and Knowlton consumed quite a bit so as a former drinker Doc was put off by this. Sandy Sandberg was the head of sales and really did launch Doc's concert and clinic career driving all over the country in Sandy's Chrysler in the sixties. When Knowlton sold the company Sandy left Getzen to go with LeBlanc and was instrumental in getting Maynard, Al Hirt and Pete Fountain to play their instruments and for reasons left unsaid, went to Conn and enticed Doc to go with them on a new Severinsen model. Conn had moved to Texas by this time and Doc wasn't too happy with the horns being produced and was playing several Bachs and Bessons during this period before getting his BelCanto trumpets in production with Dick Akright. A lot of money was invested with the BelCanto project and many horns were produced always with changes as Doc fiddled with the design. Again playing his vast collection of Bachs and Bessons for a while, he was approached by the Getzen Company which was now back in the hands of the Getzen family making fine instruments. For some reason this combination didn't work out and Doc decided the only way to have a trumpet made to his satisfaction was to go to an "old world craftsman" in Germany (working along with Byron Autry) and have his personal model made by Franzie Straub and shipped to the US for sale. Fifty were made in total and again Doc wasn't happy with the quality. Now, Buffet- Crampon had worked out a deal with Doc for Kanstul to produce the 3* and 5* Destino trumpets to be distributed by Buffet-Crampon, again with design input by Byron Autry and Doc play testing each horn for approval prior to being shipped. Again Doc was not happy with this agreement and the partnership dissolved. Lee Walkowich at Washington Music Center told Doc he should talk with Steve Shires who was interested in making top level trumpets in addition to the world class trombones already in production and the newest Destino model was developed and put into production. Whew!!!

Probably more information than you cared about but as I was there for most of these deals I think my information should be accurate.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Doc and Getzen Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
I feel I can lend some input on the Getzen Severinsen Eterna model, almost from day one. For starters, Doc never played "his" Eterna with the Kiefer made two piece bell that was on the production models instead having a Bach bell with the name sanded off and the Getzen logo rolled on. He did perform only on the Getzen for years and lobbied Harold Knowlton (owner of Getzen at the time) to start using a one piece bell like the Bach. There was a bit of tension between Doc and Knowlton due to the fact that Doc had stopped drinking alcohol and Knowlton consumed quite a bit so as a former drinker Doc was put off by this. Sandy Sandberg was the head of sales and really did launch Doc's concert and clinic career driving all over the country in Sandy's Chrysler in the sixties. When Knowlton sold the company Sandy left Getzen to go with LeBlanc and was instrumental in getting Maynard, Al Hirt and Pete Fountain to play their instruments and for reasons left unsaid, went to Conn and enticed Doc to go with them on a new Severinsen model. Conn had moved to Texas by this time and Doc wasn't too happy with the horns being produced and was playing several Bachs and Bessons during this period before getting his BelCanto trumpets in production with Dick Akright. A lot of money was invested with the BelCanto project and many horns were produced always with changes as Doc fiddled with the design. Again playing his vast collection of Bachs and Bessons for a while, he was approached by the Getzen Company which was now back in the hands of the Getzen family making fine instruments. For some reason this combination didn't work out and Doc decided the only way to have a trumpet made to his satisfaction was to go to an "old world craftsman" in Germany (working along with Byron Autry) and have his personal model made by Franzie Straub and shipped to the US for sale. Fifty were made in total and again Doc wasn't happy with the quality. Now, Buffet- Crampon had worked out a deal with Doc for Kanstul to produce the 3* and 5* Destino trumpets to be distributed by Buffet-Crampon, again with design input by Byron Autry and Doc play testing each horn for approval prior to being shipped. Again Doc was not happy with this agreement and the partnership dissolved. Lee Walkowich at Washington Music Center told Doc he should talk with Steve Shires who was interested in making top level trumpets in addition to the world class trombones already in production and the newest Destino model was developed and put into production. Whew!!!

Probably more information than you cared about but as I was there for most of these deals I think my information should be accurate.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Awesome! I was hoping you would chime in. A while back I had a chance to talk with Dick Akright about his working with Doc. He had nothing but positive things to say about the experience.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: getzen Reply with quote

I was told that the bell of the Eterna is almost identical the old French Besson horns.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Doc and Getzen Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Doc never played "his" Eterna with the Kiefer made two piece bell that was on the production models instead having a Bach bell with the name sanded off and the Getzen logo rolled on.

Interesting - I had always heard Doc played an off the shelf Eterna. A bit not completely honest since people were buying a horn that was ostensibly just like Doc's - particularly given the whole bit about the reward if anyone saw Doc playing anything but a Getzen. Why didn't they build them to be exactly like the horn Doc played?
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to superior horns, I would say that it's purely subjective. The build quality on these horns is definitely pro quality-I had a Severinsen Eterna in high school (early 70's) and my early career. As for the newer ones, I haven't played them.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another truly superior horn that I had a chance to play test a few years ago was the Scodwell made Harry James model (thanks to Washington music). This horn played with such resonance and broad feel that it seemed like magic. But I'm sure the magic was that Tony put his amazing talent into making those special horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: