• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Don't give up!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjtrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Don't give up!!! Reply with quote

So, I got into grad school today. A pretty bloody good school, too, but that's not why I'm here.

If you're a young, aspiring trumpet player, this is for you.

I struggled with a LOT of stuff trumpet-wise throughout my life. In 5th grade, just as I was starting, I broke my two front teeth totally off, requiring some temporary caps to be put on.

Then I got braces.

Then I got my braces off (just as frustrating).

Then I put all my eggs in one basket, and didn't get in to my undergrad of choice. I went to my very, very far second choice, and found out halfway through the summer that the trumpet prof who was going to help me get into choice A at semester, retired. So now I'm stuck with this new guy who I know nothing about, who most likely won't help me get my foot in the door at school A.

Then I had my wisdom teeth removed.

Then those front teeth that were broken off, yeah they're bothering me now. This time I get proper, permanent crowns.

Then one of the crowns turns black. Two dentist visits and two new crowns later (the next one turned black as well), I ended up needing a root canal.

Then the drill for the root canal broke off in my tooth, so now I need oral surgery. It takes them two hours to get it out.

Now on to music stuff:
I'd say 80% of my college career consisted of...
Knowledge- Excellent
Fingers- Pretty darn good
Tone- Airy, crap
Flexibility- Meh
Range- I mean, I can play a high C

But for some reason, I kept at it. I worked hard, kept a consistent, intense practice routine, and watched the Tanglewood trumpet masterclasses from a few years ago more often than I'd like to admit. Everything listed above improved by 200% this past year.

Yeah, I broke down about once every 6 months, wondering why I would put myself through this physical and emotional pain.

Yeah, my professors and teachers said "I think you're ready," but what do they know?

I mean, seriously, I can't even LISTEN to my recital!

Yeah, and those video recordings I sent in for those distant schools, most stressful weeks of my life. Miss that C at the end of Kennan? Sorry, gotta do it again.

But, somehow, I did it. I got into an excellent grad program, and I'm on to a (hopefully bright) future.

I see a lot of successful players on here, and a lot of young hot shots who are genuinely good at the trumpet. I'd like those of you who are more like me (exceptionally average players) to know that if you work hard, and KEEP AT IT, good things can and will happen, even if you don't go to Jewelyard.

Sorry, this got a bit long, but I figured this community would understand. Most of you are pretty cool dudes.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man! Congrats to you. Persistence is the number one reason for success, and it sounds like you've got it in spades.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
thedoctor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your accomplishment. Hard work pays off. Where you heading?
jjtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCPA at Roosevelt University in Chicago. I'll be studying with Channing Philbrick and Mark Ridenour!
Robert_3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's seriously a testament to your strong willpower, and I have much respect. Like you, in sixth grade I fell in a garage and broke my two front teeth, oddly enough in an "A" shape. My dentist told me I'd most likely develop problems in a few years when the nerves inside began to die from the blunt trauma they endured. My sophomore year of high school they began to die. Excruciating pain for weeks as they became infected, and having to live off painkillers just to talk. It was there that I thought my trumpet career was going to be history before I even got a chance to begin. With prayer and tons of Tylenol, I pushed through it and a round of antibiotics was able to kill off the infection caused by the nerve decay. I have fortunately been able to evade root canals, but soon I'm going to have to have the reconstructive surgery again and my biggest concern is how well my dentist can match what he did previously, as an embouchure change and adjustment is my worst fear heading into college.
Bach Stradivarius LR180 25 LP #72 Bell
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo
King Cleveland Superior Cornet
Eastman Flugehorn EFG412S
Eastman C ETR530S
Eastman Bb ETR520S

Virginia Commonwealth University
Trumpet Performance
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story of woe and overcoming all kinds of issues may surprise you to know is quite the "norm" for many/most trumpet players. Even some of the most accomplished players have had to deal with much similar stuff. It's life happening right in front of your eyes. Good luck in grad school!
shanty93

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
trumpetninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations jjtrumpet!! Keep it up. I am very ambitious and persistent like you. I barely got into a music school for my Undergrad, but I worked as hard as I knew how and then I got into Baylor for my masters and now I am at Eastman for my doctorate. Hard work turns into good luck.

Best of luck at your new school.

E
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! and Congrats!

It's funny and/or annoying that there are some players out there like Maurice Murphy etc who play amazingly, have bucket loads of talent etc, but for whom it is purely a job.

Then there is those who love it to bit, but struggle and sweat and drive ourselves practically insane and going through all manner of hell trying to learn how to play well.
Needless to say, life has quite the black comedy.

Anyway, thanks for the inspirational story!

---

What advice would current you give to mini-you if time travel were a thing?
KRossum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - and I'm not talking about grad. school. If you can put up with / overcome all of those (major) setbacks, and continue to practice and play music on the trumpet, you have "it."

"It" is what most people lack, the stubbornness, and personal dedication to keep going within an extremely challenging field: music.

Remember, the secret to longevity in a music career is to do it for a long time.

ONward.
-Kelly
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
This story of woe and overcoming all kinds of issues may surprise you to know is quite the "norm" for many/most trumpet players. Even some of the most accomplished players have had to deal with much similar stuff. It's life happening right in front of your eyes. Good luck in grad school!

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking as I read the OP's post.
LIFE HAPPENS!!!
Does the OP really think that he is the only trumpet player who has faced challenges,
both physical and emotional concerning the on going battle with the TRUMPET ?
And then, of course, other folks want to share their "sack of woe" stories.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! That "stick to it" attitude will take you far. Best of luck in your studies!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:

Does the OP really think that he is the only trumpet player who has faced challenges,

Well the very famous ones normally either haven't had a lot of serious problems or they don't talk about them.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Trumpetingbynurture"]
homecookin wrote:

Well the very famous ones normally either haven't had a lot of serious problems or they don't talk about them.[/quote.

Really ?
I seem to recall that Rafael Mendez suffered a severe lip injury and had to totally relearn to play the trumpet.
I also recall that Bud Herseth was involved in a car accident that severely injured his lip.
The same is true for Freddie Hubbard, he also suffered a severe lip injury.
Jack Sheldon had a stroke a couple of years back, and is now playing the trumpet with his left hand.
I'm sure that if I did a little research, I could come up with a longer list for you.
As someone stated earlier, the OP's hard work and dedication will serve him well throughout his life and his career. And I wish him good luck in his endeavors.
But as someone else also stated... there is nothing uncommon about his story.
Dollard147

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats dude.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="homecookin"]
Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
homecookin wrote:

Well the very famous ones normally either haven't had a lot of serious problems or they don't talk about them.[/quote.]

Really ?
I seem to recall that Rafael Mendez suffered a severe lip injury and had to totally relearn to play the trumpet.
I also recall that Bud Herseth was involved in a car accident that severely injured his lip.
The same is true for Freddie Hubbard, he also suffered a severe lip injury.
Jack Sheldon had a stroke a couple of years back, and is now playing the trumpet with his left hand.
I'm sure that if I did a little research, I could come up with a longer list for you.
As someone stated earlier, the OP's hard work and dedication will serve him well throughout his life and his career. And I wish him good luck in his endeavors.
But as someone else also stated... there is nothing uncommon about his story.

I dunno. All of your examples are of very good players who had a one-off problem. They were great player *and then* something happened they had to overcome. I very rarely hear anyone talk about serious difficulties in actually getting to be a good player to begin with.

IMO it's one thing to run into a serious problem when you're already well on your feet, and it's another to have to face serious obstacles on the way there. Success allows for a certain resilience that continue struggle and failure doesn't. It's one thing running into major obstacles when you're well equipped with a lot of knowledge and experience, and quite something else to have to face it on faith alone.

Anyway. I think this all misses the point. The original poster was sharing their story to say "I know, it can be tough, but don't give up!".

It's an important message and sharing such stories helps to embolden the spirit of others who are also struggling on the journey and feeling hopeless. It's not a p---ing contest, it's humans reaching out so that we know we aren't alone!
Maybe you don't find his story encouraging, but there will be others who certainly do.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno...
Everyone of the players that I referenced have been written about extensively.
And all of them have been very open and forthcoming about the hours and hours and years and years of practice and working experience that went into developing their craft.
They also have spoken about their own experiences with struggling with the TRUMPET.
It is just...reality !
It affects everybody !!!
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
roynj wrote:

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking as I read the OP's post.
LIFE HAPPENS!!!
And then, of course, other folks want to share their "sack of woe" stories.

I bet you're awesome to be around in real life.
jjtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidBrassObsession wrote:

It's an important message and sharing such stories helps to embolden the spirit of others who are also struggling on the journey and feeling hopeless. It's not a p---ing contest, it's humans reaching out so that we know we aren't alone!
Maybe you don't find his story encouraging, but there will be others who certainly do.

^This is correct. I'm not here to brag, make myself feel good, or toot my own horn, as it were. The intent was to (hopefully) encourage others who are also tripping and stumbling their way into a potentially promising career in music.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJ makes a good point. I auditioned for graduate school after 5 years of undergrade. Did not get in anywhere! I just about gave up. However, a few months down the road, my friend won a job at a school. He encouraged me to pick up my feet and audition for his TA spot. I did get the spot, and the offer is excellent. Those other schools would have cost me money, but this one is paying me money!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: