• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Don't give up!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
I seem to recall that Rafael Mendez suffered a severe lip injury and had to totally relearn to play the trumpet.

I've always wondered about the veracity of that story about Mendez getting his horn bashed into his lip by a stage door. Dunno, has that melodramatic, Hollywood movie quality to it. Has anyone ever corroborated the story - as in they were there and saw it happen?

At any rate, someone who played as well as Mendez did wouldn't have to totally relearn trumpet - they're not going forget everything they knew. They'd heal and start playing again.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
dnbull

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this post. I considered myself a decent trumpet play all the way until I was 24y/or where I decided to get braces. I decided to get braces because I had chewing(food) problems. This is not the issue. The issue was that every ortho/dentist I have seen told me I needed jaw surgery.. two at that. I had to give up playing for a while. All I can think is that i am never going to be the same player.

It's been 2 years.. 2 surgeries (top jaw moved forward, bottom jaw moved back), 4 wisdom removed, 4 bicuspids removed.

I am slowly getting back to the routine but my mentality is shot. You motivated me.. Thanks man.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
homecookin wrote:
I seem to recall that Rafael Mendez suffered a severe lip injury and had to totally relearn to play the trumpet.

I've always wondered about the veracity of that story about Mendez getting his horn bashed into his lip by a stage door. Dunno, has that melodramatic, Hollywood movie quality to it. Has anyone ever corroborated the story - as in they were there and saw it happen?

I saw a video of Rafael telling the story himself. I have no doubt that it really happened.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Robert P wrote:
homecookin wrote:

I saw a video of Rafael telling the story himself. I have no doubt that it really happened.

Well of course, it really happened !
And I appreciate your input...chieden.
It is in the book, ...The Magnificent Mendez.
If anyone has any doubts, maybe you could ask
Dr. Jane Hickman, and Dr. Del Lyren.
I'm sure that they could enlighten you.
It also tells the story in the video about Rafael Mendez that was
produced by ITG a several years ago.

Now there are conflicting reports about the time that Al Hirt supposedly got hit in the face with a brick thrown by someone at the Mardi Gras parade.
Some people who were present at the time say that Al was drunk and ran into a pole and caused the damage to his lip himself.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I congratulate the OP on his persistence and his accomplishments! Playing the trumpet at a professional level is hard work and will involve challenges.

What I hope is that this story of persistence is not taken as an endorsement for endless frustration and time in "trumpet purgatory." There are those here who did suffer such and decided this must be the only way to do things. It is not. Regarding your setup and ability to play throughout the range, if you are set up right, progress should be steady and four years of high school or maybe less serious time on a trumpet should get you ready for college.

If you are not progressing, cannot play over high C after a couple of years of study, etc., there is something wrong in the way you are set up. Unfortunately, many people who play well and even teach musicianship well do not know much about the embouchure. If you happen to play well naturally or your playing type is the same as theirs, they may be able to teach you, but if not, you are likely to need help from someone else.

I struggled with books and a couple of teachers both before and after my comeback with not much in the way of results. When I found an embouchure guru who knew what to do, it took all of three afternoon-long lessons to set me up right. Unfortunately, medical problems (multiple hernias) prevent me from playing much now, but it isn't because of poor technique.

There's a story about Armando Ghitalla giving a workshop in Italy. He gets a guy off the stret who has never played trumpet and he has him playing over high C in thirty minutes. He tired out quickly, but he played the notes. It's all in knowing how...

I urge all those out there who are stuck to save up a few hundred dollars and find a chops expert to help them. You don't need years of lessons, just a few lessons with someone who really, really understands the embouchure and how it works for different people.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT thread! This type of thing by itself is reason enough for TH to exist.

This seems a good time to point out that it is possible, and a good idea, to get a mold made of your teeth. Making them is a craft, and of course the person who does it is important. It doesn't have to cost a huge fortune, and if any sort of accident happens, it allows needed dental work to restore the current position of your teeth.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: don't give up Reply with quote

I am reading this link and the replies 15 months later, and as a 67 year old who just picked up the horn again after 18 years, you have the best attitude. You had many things that could have side-tracked someone else and they never would have gotten back on track. I am playing an old King as I sold my precious Benge. That is OK because it is like being in 5th grade again and getting the Arban book out and going back to the very start. By the time you may read this you may have the masters. Congratulations. The one thing I realize after not making music my career but enjoying music all my life is this;
you will always get more out of the playing and practice time you spend than you could ever give back. I started out as a music major, quit college, went back and played football and then coached college ball for 9 years. People tire easily of practice in football. I used to tell the head coach I worked for in music you learn in the practice room so that you can perform, (play the game.) Most musicians love to practice. Keep that attitude and drive you showed from what you added here and life will be just great. Not without the broken crowns and stuff, but GREAT!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a seriously cool post. It shows great level of grit and determination.

I'm not sure what you want to do with your future as a musician, but personally I think it would be great if you'd go into academia rather than pursuing a career solely as a performer. Because you've had to overcome so much, it would give you a level of understanding and patience with students, many of whom will be similar to you in their struggles.

Great job, and keep up the great work!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: