• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

cheek puffing and lip buzzing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: cheek puffing and lip buzzing Reply with quote

I have always been perplexed by the fact that when I do the daily lip buzzing drills, I never puff my cheeks, but when playing I do have a tendency to puff slightly, and sometimes one of my cheeks will suddenly puff out. Why is it that puffing never occurs when lip buzzing?
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to give one answer to this question but to attempt a guess I'd say it's probably in part due to the fact that when you're lip buzzing you're just blowing into the air, whereas on the trumpet you have a mouthpiece and horn to counteract the outgoing air pressure more. When the player's mouth cavity is smaller than average, he has puffing tendencies, and this is probably in response to the natural internal pressure* which occurs when playing the trumpet.

Reinhardt said that cheek puffing is not necessarily bad, but should be avoided whenever possible. He also said that a cheek puff should never occur in a player's middle or lower registers.

*The internal pressure should not be excessive, and you shouldn't really notice or feel it when you play.
CalletJazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play with an airpocket on one side that also blew up that one side's corner muscle. It was only happening in the lower and lower middle register.

I developed this bad habit to try to play with less tension, but I didn't realize it would hinder proper development.

My playing went gradually downhill from there, what it created was an uneven connection between low and high register, as I would compensate for the unactive muscles in my embouchure. As it turned out, I developed two different embouchures in low and high register, making playing out of tune and a shaky, airy tone.

I have worked my ass off the past two years to eliminate this problem. What I did was:

- breath attack a long tone in low register while blowing up everything (cheeks and lips) and while sustaining the note, gradually bringing in corners and lips to create a firm embouchure whilst keeping the relaxed feel. The idea was to have just enough tension to make the note speak.

- lip buzzing in the same manner i.e.: blown up embouchure gradually making a buzz and bringing in cheeks and lips. From there I buzz scales and chords. Slowly taking it higher. Short sessions and making sure I don't kill myself.

- I made sure I ALWAYS kept my lips just touching and take mouthcorner breaths to ensure a consistent position (placing my finger on aperture for lip buzzing procedure).

Gradually I felt muscles being used that I never felt before, like the masseter at the outer back of the jaw.

It cured every problem I encountered like lower lip dissappearing completely, extreme low horn angle, double buzz, dull tone, attack, flexibility.

My sound is so much more full and vibrant, creating a strong sound full of overtones.
I can now play a strong high F#, sometimes a G and Ab are within reach.
I used to kill myself for a high E (that was always very low pitch and weak).

My embouchure looks much better also (not that it matters). It cured a spreading problem also and my chin is much more firm. It is not flat, nor bunched. Something in-between, but it is stable.

It was a long and frustrating process, but the results were spectacular.

Good luck!

A happy trumpeter from Belgium!

Last edited by CalletJazz on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:19 am; edited 3 times in total
CalletJazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have to mention that it also cured a great deal of my neck puff.
Whereas I puffed my neck even in the low register, it now occurs only slightly in the high register.

It is quite obvious the neck puff was due to a non efficient way of playing. Not being able to transform the air pressure in a relaxed buzz to enter the instrument.

Endurance is still something I have to work hard on, I'm still improving.

Another big difference is that the high register is now also attainable on my deeper mouthpiece. In the past, it was almost impossible to play a strong high note on it. The high F#'s are as full and loud as on my shallow mpc that I use for big band and salsa gigs.

In case you wondered: I'm a IIIa typed by Chris Labarbera.

Best wishes,
J.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Josh gave you the correct answer.

I'd like to give you one more piece of advice.

I think you said this cheek puffing bit only happens in the middle and lower registers. Well what you do is work from the "top down".

Start in the high register and gradually descend while trying not to move ( except your pivot)

Good luck,

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: