• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

An e-mail from Laurie Frink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Raymond,
Thank you for your email and the address to the Trumpet Herald--I was not aware of it's existence. It is exciting to see that you are keeping CC alive. Carmine wanted his approach to evolve and as I teach I am constantly amazed at what can happen. In terms of the tension while nose breathing--it differs from student to student. When I do Master Classes I try to take the most cautious route since I can't be present to monitor everyone's practice. When I teach privately I have some students maintain tension and others not depending on the stability of their embouchure. I studied trumpet with Carmine and I also studied teaching with him. I sat in his studio and observed him teach. After each lesson he would explain his strategy for each particular student. I'm sure you understood him perfectly when he told you (and others) to maintain the tension--but for some it works better to relax the tension.
This I got directly from Carmine in the late 70's and early 80's. Many people have asked me about updating the MCFB. This is something that I would really like to do but feels soooo difficult because his approach was tailor-made for the individual. Perhaps you have some thoughts on this?
Sincerely,
Laurie Frink
Max Reverb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charly for sharing that with us. Maybe she will be inclined to post on the forum!!!
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a follow up e-mail from Laurie Frink that clarifies her position even further.

Dear Mr. Raymond
Actually, my experience has shown that the most cautious approach when dealing with someone who I won't be seeing regularly is to not maintain mpc pressure. I understand why we might differ on this, however trumpet players being as neurotic as they can sometimes be, often "over-do" and get hurt, or stiff, or swollen. As I said before, I am taking what i hope is the most cautious stance on this--particularly if I can't moniter someones practice. As I'm sure you know, there is a lot of confusion about CC method because of how one-on-one his instruction was. I have seen way too many folks who think it is about "no pain=no gain" and end up hurting themselves and/or others. Please feel free to share my thoughts with anyone. Thank you for keeping Carmine alive!!!
Laurie Frink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: