• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BE and Maggio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
screemer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: BE and Maggio Reply with quote

I am new to the BE approach - just ordered the book. I find the idea of training the movements of the embouchure in isolated exercises and letting the subconscious mind aply them to the default embouchure over time very appealing (I hope I have understood this concept right).
My questions is :
Is there any relation between the Maggio system and BE?
It seems that the setup in both systems has some kind of relationship

Thanks! 😊
erstrad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: BE and Maggio Reply with quote

I found BE because of the similarity between the Maggio system and BE. I was looking for a replacement of the Maggio lesson book published by Carlton Macbeth using a search topic like “pedal notes” and found the BE link.
I’ve been practicing and using BE for 11 years, and the results in my playing have been just as described in Jeff’s book and by the experienced contributors to this forum. I feel I’ve made constant improvement during this time, improvement that still continues.
I used the Maggio system for 30 years after taking some class lessons with Macbeth. His system included pedal tones, forward embouchure, arched-tongue syllables, and mouthpiece placement 2/3 upper and 1/3 lower.
He stressed the first pedal C as the note that would set the embouchure for the entire range of the trumpet, while Jeff uses the double-pedal C. Macbeth’s advanced warmup did descend to double-pedal C, but that was its only function in the method.
Pedal tones are the only similarity between the two methods, and they are used differently in each.
I had some success with the Maggio system but reached a plateau that I was not satisfied with. The Maggio system took my trumpet playing only so far. Jeff Smiley found the missing link of trumpet playing for me with his Balanced Embouchure method.
spiegl

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Maggio system Reply with quote

I was Maggio student with Carlton Macbeth for years, and found it very successful (if done correctly) in opening up the upper register of the horn.
With Carlton it was all about the sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: