• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How To:Maggio Method

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cornetist SPSMB

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: How To:Maggio Method Reply with quote

Hello TH community,

I have recently got my hands on the Maggio Method,but have no idea how to use it?Do i finish off one chapter in a week?
Please advise me!
Thank you!
TrumpetDan79
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggio is one interpretation of the same underlying concept. It's letting the embouchure come "forward" while playing any passage. You'll see this in the teachings of Stamp, Reinhardt, Thibaud, et. al. Manny Laureano describes it as a feeling of "toooooo" coming forward. Gabriele Cassone talks about allowing your corners to gently come forward as you play. This focus's the vibrating surface. Pops, to my understanding, refers to this as 'aperture tunnel.' He could describe the mechanics far better than I, but my comment mainly deals with the matter of HOW vs. what, regarding the Maggio book.

The heart of Stamp is bending. This brings things forward and more concentrated to the center.

The Maggio book is but one way to achieve forming the "little pillow" each day.

That way, the note intervals feel closer, the sound is richer, and your endurance will be helped usually.

There is a TON of posts and research on this, so my suggestion is to study the concept first vs. digging into a regimen of any kind. You probably will save a lot of time as this doesn't require a method.

Sorry I didn't answer your question directly, but this is where my mind went, haha. One justification for this type of response within the spirt of the "Pedagogy" forum, is to illustrate it is much more important in HOW we practice vs. WHAT we practice. That is my opinion.

Peace!!
hendan10

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man!
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been at Maggio, or some form of it, like Stamp, for 8 years, and I would agree with Dan, the How is more than the What. What isn't clear in the method that Carlton put out there is ALL of the Hows. I believe a lot of that is up to the user. Arturo taught me that I should play it with bravado, "Like the Queen is coming." I thought, "what queen?"

Malcolm McNab has shown me that use of pedal tones in his Stamp warmup, at least with me, should be fairly minimal, that pedal C may not be as important as those notes between low F# and pedal C, and frankly, that use of those notes brings my chops more forward than trying to get that damn C right!

The revelation was that playing low can get you high. It opened up my world.

ed
lerham

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The revelation was that playing low can get you high." I love that, Ed! I will be stealing that one for sure.

I would add that Maggio, Stamp, and my personal favorite Thibaud Advanced Method are very advanced concepts. Many not explained well, so their benefits can be lost and actually set you back if not approached correctly. Thibaud's Advanced Techniques book does the best job of explaining concepts well that is lacking in the Maggio specifically. Too much pedal playing, if not done correctly can be detrimental, in my opinion. But, if mastered they can be extensively used on a daily basis, if that makes sense.

I would recommend, doing the Maggio very slowly and repeat the sections for several weeks, even if you feel you are doing them correctly, focusing on beauty of sound at a full volume mf-f. Watch your set up in the mirror to make sure you are not shifting your embouchure between registers.

Good luck! Ask questions along the way.
Cheers!
Dan

Last edited by lerham on Fri May 20, 2016 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
pedal C may not be as important as those notes between low F# and pedal C, and frankly, that use of those notes brings my chops more forward than trying to get that damn C right!

ed

This is why I love pedal tones!!! I use my own modified version of Stamp in my daily warmup and for me it's the key to setting up my chops to play all over the horn with the same setup. Pedals from F-C# get me in a position where I can play low F# and E over high C without moving my chops. Great stuff.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
EdMann wrote:
pedal C may not be as important as those notes between low F# and pedal C, and frankly, that use of those notes brings my chops more forward than trying to get that damn C right!

ed

This is why I love pedal tones!!! I use my own modified version of Stamp in my daily warmup and for me it's the key to setting up my chops to play all over the horn with the same setup. Pedals from F-C# get me in a position where I can play low F# and E over high C without moving my chops. Great stuff.

How about deepening the love? By gently approaching the double pedals, BE way!!! Does wonders for me!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many great players use a Maggio "pucker" in their embouchure such as Wayne Bergeron. In a recent clinic on YouTube, Wayne talked about how he uses the pucker.
I have the Maggio book and don't ever use it. Complete waste of time in my opinion.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Turkle wrote:
EdMann wrote:

ed

How about deepening the love? By gently approaching the double pedals, BE way!!! Does wonders for me!

I used to do lower pedals (pedal C and below) but I felt that they weren't doing great things to my chops. It's probably how I was approaching them... But I removed them from my routine a few years ago. I'm sure they work for others though!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: How To:Maggio Method Reply with quote

Cornetist SPSMB wrote:
Hello TH community,

I have recently got my hands on the Maggio Method,but have no idea how to use it?Do i finish off one chapter in a week?
Please advise me!
Thank you!

While the Maggio book is a great book for reference and at its time was arguably one of the best methods to use, you'd be better served by reading through the book for reference, putting it away, then buying Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet and the books it assigns material out of (Clarke's Technical Studies for the Cornet, Lip Flexibilities by Walter Smith, Saint-Jacome's Grand Method for Trumpet or Cornet, Charles Colin's Lip Flexibilities for Trumpet, Arbans' Celebrated Method, and Clarke's Characteristic Studies for the Cornet).

Claude studied with Herbert Clarke for nine years and Louis Maggio for several years after Clarke's death. He took Maggio's basic exercises and ideas and expanded them into 52 versions and incorporated them into a full, well-balanced systematic daily practice routine with 52 lesson assignments to be done one per week (though it is better to stay on each lesson for two weeks as otherwise the material can build up too quickly).

In particular, Claude added a component to the Maggio Pedal Note exercises that builds tremendous levels of air power (the ability to generate air pressure) which is a requirement for achieving great endurance and developing the ability to play in the extreme upper register.

I think your best approach would be to take in-person or Skype lessons with a professional player who studied for years with Claude and could and would create a customized Daily Routine for you to do based on where your playing is now, and what particular areas of playing ability you personally want to develop.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggio worked on the fundamental use of the lips. I don't believe he got it right, but to his credit he recognized that correct use of the lips was too essential to leave to happenstance.

Most of us recognize that, regardless of diligence, the overwhelming majority of trumpet players crash and burn. Over the past few decades we've adapted a term for trumpeters that crash and burn somewhat later than average. We call them professionals, lol.

Unless you are part of a tiny group of genetically gifted in jaw, lips, and ear then the best you can hope for is: a) enlightened guidance - unfortunately nearly as rare as genetically gifted, or b) a medium level ability achieved primarily by forceful blowing. Most people, other than trumpet jocks, hear the B category as blasting, overforced pitches, not musical. But, these players do get some props from the tptJox and even some ' teaching' pesos. Buyer beware.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
Many great players use a Maggio "pucker" in their embouchure such as Wayne Bergeron. In a recent clinic on YouTube, Wayne talked about how he uses the pucker.

Here is the clinic. At around 7:00 into the video he talks about the Maggio setting (puckered embouchure).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wco0nNh1aM

Pity the recording sound is too distant to Wayne - a bit difficult to hear what he says.

Ole
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:

The Ultra-Pucker: With the puckered embouchure the corners are drawn towards each other, like you squeeze a plastic coin "purse," creating a small pinhole aperture in the center. To increase endurance, allow air pockets to form between the lips and teeth. The mouthpiece, then, is not pushing the lips directly against the teeth, this is what can give you even greater endurance.
As taught by Bill Knevitt
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Afternoon;

I'd like to second (again) the following comment:

EdMann wrote:
that pedal C may not be as important as those notes between low F# and pedal C, and frankly, that use of those notes brings my chops more forward than trying to get that damn C right!

I found a copy of the Maggio book after reading the OP's post last week, and have been playing with the ideas therein since.

As anecdotal evidence, I went from just barely playing the Chicowitz flow studies that go up to a written D off the staff last week, to just squeaking out an F# today, and played the flow study up to an F.

I incorporated the Maggio warmup into my usual routine, and then put the pedal exercises in between the other stuff that I practice (clark, arban, getchel, etc.). It's helping me.

Your millage may vary,
D
Ximo_molina

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new information on how you use L. Maggio's method?
Carol Brass Toreador Bb
Bach C 239 Malone leadpipe
Yamaha631 flugel
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Stomvi Titán piccolo
Stomvi élite Eb
GR mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: