• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Callet mouthpiece - SC1ss

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: New Callet mouthpiece - SC1ss Reply with quote

Talked to Jerry yesterday and learned of a new mouthpiece he is very pleased with. It's a very narrow diameter (in the Bach 17-20 range) evolved from his Jazz, Solo, Buddy, 1*, etc. Jerry's mouthpieces are designed to fix chop problems as well as sound great. And he has already seen some struggling students make some big breakthroughs with this piece. It seems to hold the chops just right. And you can't overblow, blast, or press this piece. You actually have to play right.

I should have one in a week or two. I'll update after I get some time on it.
tptguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Superchops 1ss arrived and I had two things to say on day 1 - wow, this thing is small. And 2, I can't play it!

But after some phone guidance from Jerry, I continued for another hour of VERY careful workout. As careful as I've always (thought) I practiced, this thing clearly forced me to a another level. Use even a small amount of bad technique of any kind - press, blow hard, arch the tongue, smile, etc - and this thing stops you right away. It won't tell you what to do, but it sure lets you know when you are practicing with even the tiniest of bad habits.

Forward to 2nd day. I picked up my horn for a brief warmup and concentrated on eliminating even the most minute of yesterday's chop mistakes. Immediately, my sound was more centered and focused than ever. Flexibility was greatly increased. Easy warmup range was high F with more ease and projection than ever. And to my big surprise, the mouthpiece in my horn was the 1ss! It felt 'normally wide' now. I expect my G and A will be back within a few days, and with the new ease and power - but no need to push it. I'm also double tonguing up there with more ease than ever so that's another sign for me that it's right. I called Jerry and played over the phone so we could both smile about the big step forward.

I know this won't mean much to most TH readers. Spreading the sound, hissing with the tongue, pressing the lips, overblowing for high notes, etc will still be the rule for most. That's what we've been taught for so long. But for players serious about learning to play with a rich, focused and in-tune sound with ease - Harry James, Horst Fisher, James Morrison, Charlie Shavers type ease - this mouthpiece could be an exceptional tool. It's too early to tell, but I might be able to make this my primary mouthpiece. Then, I'd never be building bad habits. That would be sweet.
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this experience Kyle. Please keep us posted if you decide to stick with it. Is this mouthpiece shallow like an SC6, or more like the depth of an SC3/4?

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know this won't mean much to most TH readers. Spreading the sound, hissing with the tongue, pressing the lips, overblowing for high notes, etc will still be the rule for most. That's what we've been taught for so long. But for players serious about learning to play with a rich, focused and in-tune sound with ease - Harry James, Horst Fisher, James Morrison, Charlie Shavers type ease

There is a huge amount of value in these words. Whenever I'm working on something and losing accuracy, range or sound I look for the statements like these and it nearly always puts me back on track. I usually realise that one of the typical habits has taken over.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a pic?
tptguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics should be on the Callet site this week. I'll update here when I see them.
Not sure if it's the SC-1ss or just my time. Perhaps the stars have just aligned. But I'm sure lovin' what I've learned from this thing. As I've heard Jerry say a thousand times, once you stop forcing the sound it will come alive and easy. But, you don't know what easy is until you feel - and hear it!

I don't want anyone to think that merely playing this mouthpiece will fix the many problems we've been taught to accept. But, it surely will force you to confront your ills - or give up, LOL!

This Friday, I'll be playing with Jack Jeffers big band at Zinc Bar in Manhatten. I plan to play just SC-1ss (with Callet NY Soloist trumpet, of course). I'll bring SC3 mouthpiece just in case. But I'm confident! If you are in the area please come by. Be sure to say hi between sets.

Art Blakey Big Band with Valery Ponomarev follows so should be great night! Usually just $10-15 cover, but call ahead to check - Zinc Bar, Greenwich Village.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might stop in to see you at the Zinc. Are you subbing for Mac I assume?
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy playing lead in Jack's band is a great player....Latin guy from the Bronx. Nice guy and has a good style. What's his name? If I remember he plays an old Martin I think?
tptguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had such a good week on the 1ss that I didn't consider using anything else this eve. Can't say just what makes this mouthpiece so special for me, but anyone working with Superchops should really give it a try. If you have troubles on it then use it as the perfect tool to figure out why.

A few charts were passed around but Junior Vega played the lead book.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior Vega. Forgot his name. Lots of history in the PR salsa scene years ago. Great player.

I was working in Hoboken or I would have stopped in. Hope you had fun and glad the new piece is working for you.
tptguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC, You are probably thinking of James. Yes, very nice style. The section was Junior, James, Mac, and me. And 1/SC-1ss! Lol

Mac played a very similar size last night so he's going to try the 1ss when he can. Thought about swapping last night but didn't get a good opportunity.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack is a classy leader. Glad the hit was fun. I always liked the fact that even though nobody gets rich on a big band gig, but Jack makes sure everybody gets some cash. He even throws a few bucks for rehearsals which I think might come from his own pocket. Good guy.

I've played the Zinc Bar a bunch of times. Little known fact, Anderson Cooper lives on that block. I've seen him a bunch of times coming in and out of his building there.
tptguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some nice pics of my 1ss but had to hit the road before I could post them. I'll get them up when I get home next week. But Yumiko has 1 good shot at Jerry's studio. So call Jerry if you'd like a pic sooner than next week.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no internet where you're going?
tptguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics and info about the SC-1ss are now up on the Callet site. Check it out.

http://www.callettrumpets.com/Mouthpieces.htm
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like it was designed for me. I liked the newer sc pieces, but they were just too wide for me. This is my cup of tea.

And the rim looks a bit flatte too...looks like a copy of what I've been using shape wise.

I WANT IT!!!
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:

For comparison, the dime in the photo is .705"

Kent
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: My take on 1ss Reply with quote

I don't play with Jerome's method but I now exclusively use his mouthpieces. I am not an extreme hi player but can now do a very usable hi g (as in like a note in a run not a squeak) and have all the volume needed for this note. I tried the 1ss on Jerome's recommendation since the cup width matches the Buddy 5x I am in love with. The cup is almost identical to the Harry James Parduba (VERY shallow), with the Buddy 5x width (VERY narrow), and the Charlie Shavers rim (Jerome's words - which I think makes any mouthpiece playable and is BY FAR the best rim I have played). I believe Jerome uses this rim on his 3 sc as well (at least these 3 + the 1sc I played all had the same velvet feel on the rim). I can play them all without trouble I believe because of the rim. I had always played Bach and Shilke and mostly in the 3-7 bach cup sizes, and in the old days (late 60's had same range I have today).

I don't blow hard now (I did) and during my 7 month comeback after a 48 year layoff, have made a lot of changes to the way I play. I now find that the narrow cup (like the Buddy 5x and the 1ss) cause you to use your air much more efficiently, there simply isn't as much room to fill. I see this as making you concentrate on quality rather than quantity to get upper notes and they seem to be much clearer with more core and less airiness. I remember hearing some great big band lead players do hi g's and a's that were much more impressive than lesser players dbl c's and e's. They were real notes. I believe the narrower cup promotes this. I cant say enough about the rim as it is by far the most comfortable of any MP maker I have tried and I feel is the biggest reason I can play all of Jerome's MP's well. The shallowness of the 1ss will help some with range and should help anyone with endurance. This will be a tradeoff (in my experience) with some overtones. The 1ss will be a much more a lead style 'brilliant' sound, at least for me. Since I like to hear all the overtones that the SIMA makes I prefer the Buddy 5x which is a bit deeper with the lacquered SIMA to get all the sound. I have a great 66' Conn 60b super constellation which is a true lead horn, with it I like the 3sc as it takes some edge off. The very similar rim allows me to go between the horns without any adjustments. I believe that if you need the endurance and help with range the 1ss is a great MP, but you have to play it the way it wants to be played which I think will improve anyones playing, because it requires you to play with strong fundamentals. Its the most extreme mouthpiece I have seen on the market with the .685 width and Parduba HJ type cup, but if you play long and make your money above the staff this could be a big help. Learning to play it will probably make you a better player too, talk to Jerry about that.
Rod
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:

About the same specs as the pieces i use. Curry 00 size, I have a 00m with a 30 drill that is insane. The SC-1ss looks to have a real comfortable rim. may have to give Mr. Callet a call and drive the 5 mins to his house for a try.

i have the original SC 1 but its just to big for me now diameter wise. this size looks about right for me though.

tom
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry has been making these huge mouthpieces for the last decade that I just can't play. Too damn big.

I'm glad he's getting back to the smaller hardware he has made in the past. They just work better for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: