• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ITG 2016 Fanfare with Doc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: ITG 2016 Fanfare with Doc Reply with quote

I'm a bit surprised not to find more chatter about yesterday's attempt to break the record for trumpets playing John William’s 1984 LA Olympic Fanfare, conducted by Doc Sevrinsen.

The organizers were planning on ~120 players and by initial estimates, there were twice as many. Wound up playing a warm-up piece then the fanfare before taking it all outside. After the playing the fanfare they handed out an arrangement of "Here's That Rainy Day" that we played with Arturo improvising over the final phrase.

The only minor bummer was when one of the players passed out. Hope he's okay.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: ITG 2016 Fanfare with Doc Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I'm a bit surprised not to find more chatter about yesterday's attempt to break the record for trumpets playing John William’s 1984 LA Olympic Fanfare, conducted by Doc Sevrinsen.

The organizers were planning on ~120 players and by initial estimates, there were twice as many. Wound up playing a warm-up piece then the fanfare before taking it all outside. After the playing the fanfare they handed out an arrangement of "Here's That Rainy Day" that we played with Arturo improvising over the final phrase.

The only minor bummer was when one of the players passed out. Hope he's okay.

Maybe I'm just overly cynical and mean for my age, but my understanding is that not many people really care about those big group performances. I'm glad they had good attendance and that the people participating enjoyed it, but not everyone is interested in giant mobs of messy, out-of-tune trumpet playing. Plus, they do those types of things all the time at ITG, NTC, etc.

Okay, I'll stop being a cranky-pants now.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too tend not to enjoy trumpet-only ensembles though I have heard some extraordinarily good ones. This one held together fairly well all things considered. And hey, I got to see Doc and Arturo!
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I too tend not to enjoy trumpet-only ensembles though I have heard some extraordinarily good ones. This one held together fairly well all things considered. And hey, I got to see Doc and Arturo!

Gotta admit that it's not my thing either. That being said, if I had been in the area, I would have taken part just for the novelty of it!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about trumpet ensembles. Not my particular bag either. However, these large assemblages of trumpets include a good number of college trumpet teachers. That might not mean anything to many but for them it means more monetary assistance from their respective college/university to attend the conference due to their direct participation (it's called presenting in university speak), versus simply attending the conference. Big difference. Also, having college-age participants included prior to each program just makes obvious sense. Student exposure to the conference is vital and important.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
I agree about trumpet ensembles. Not my particular bag either. However, these large assemblages of trumpets include a good number of college trumpet teachers. That might not mean anything to many but for them it means more monetary assistance from their respective college/university to attend the conference due to their direct participation (it's called presenting in university speak), versus simply attending the conference.Big difference. Also, having college-age participants included prior to each program just makes obvious sense. Student exposure to the conference is vital and important.

Perhaps for private schools, but for state schools (here in Virginia, at least) that's not the case. I regularly work with travel authorizations and reimbursements, and it doesn't matter whether the person is just attending, participating, or presenting; everyone is entitled to the same state-mandated rates of travel, lodging, food, and conference reimbursement.

Granted, if the faculty is adjunct, presenting may be merit for also being paid their adjunct rate while attending.

That being said, I would agree that in general, attending conferences like ITG is a good way to recruit. Taking ensembles to compete in things like NTC is another good way to attract young musicians.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing that piece back in the 1990s with 80 trumpeters when the Pope visited Baltimore. That was a great experience.
And, I also recall doing a trumpet ensemble with Doc at University of Southern Mississippi called A Night of 1,000 Trumpets. It turned out to be more like 800 but we all performed in the basketball arena with Doc. When he walked in and saw all of us, he kind of rolled his shoulders and shrugged before saying "I think I can take all of you". Of course, he meant that in jest, but everybody believed him anyway.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to find video of the fanfare but here's the other piece we sight read right after.
https://youtu.be/GpNW24VzSNo?list=FL7pK7XgBTFxxkakRsHcXPTw
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I've yet to find video of the fanfare but here's the other piece we sight read right after.
https://youtu.be/GpNW24VzSNo?list=FL7pK7XgBTFxxkakRsHcXPTw

Reminds me of this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OkNUrV_bmIw
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say it could be worse, but the following is actually more musically tolerable...

Link

(Now the bagpipes one was a different story...)
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ITG 2016 Fanfare with Doc Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

Maybe there was no chatter because it, quite frankly, sounded like crap. Yes I was there. Yes I played. Yes I was embarrassed.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ITG 2016 Fanfare with Doc Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Maybe there was no chatter because it, quite frankly, sounded like crap. Yes I was there. Yes I played. Yes I was embarrassed.

How many people hung over on the last note?
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Awful Reply with quote

This is absolute crap, and the reason I dont go to ITG anymore. Out of tune, bad sounds and terrible time. It is embarrassing.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide if it makes me more of less cynical that I really had no great expectation that a huge heard of trumpets with no qualifying and no rehearsal would sound rough. I went for the spectacle. And to see Doc.

But if they ever do it again I sure wouldn't mind if they had a few more times through the piece, perhaps a bit more to play, and more visible conducting. It certainly could have been better.
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Awful Reply with quote

Jabroni wrote:
This is absolute crap, and the reason I dont go to ITG anymore. Out of tune, bad sounds and terrible time. It is embarrassing.

Totally.

I get it though... ITG is deliberately catering to typical schmo trumpet players because they know they'll shell out big bucks to do this kind of thing. There's less and less enjoyment for seasoned pros.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OkNUrV_bmIw
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew... I had to find this to make sure it wasn't the song...or Doc...

Link

1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have participated for novelty's sake as well, and yes, to say I played with Doc. But large scale trpt productions, eh...

Had a bigger name on the other line anyway... wife's bday.

ed
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Awful Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Jabroni wrote:

Totally.

I get it though... ITG is deliberately catering to typical schmo trumpet players because they know they'll shell out big bucks to do this kind of thing. There's less and less enjoyment for seasoned pros.

It never ceases to amaze me regarding the negative attitudes of some of the members here. Frankly, as a "seasoned pro" (as described above) with over 40 years of professional experience, I find the negativity expressed her to be more embarrassing than the 350 ITG trumpet ensemble. Sure it was out of tune and sure guys hung over on the last note. I know, I was there. There is no way something like this is going to sound like the trumpet section from a major symphony. So what. It was what it was and it was fun. And as far as those of you that won't "shell out the big bucks" to attend ITG, fine, don't go. But as a "seasoned pro, I have found ITG to be quite rewarding and a good value for the money. The performances, the clinics, the master classes were terrific. Having all those horns and accessories all in one place to play test was extraordinary. Every time I go, even as a "seasoned pro", I learn a great deal and experience great music. And where else would one find all that equipment is one place? Sure, it can be frustrating play testing a horn in a room with dueling high G's. Again, so what. Where else would you be able to listen to the likes of Arturo Sandoval, Chuck Findley, Michael Sachs, Jens Lindeman (sp?), the entire Los Angeles Philharmonic trumpet section, et al., in one venue?

For those of you naysayers, please stay away. We don't need your negativity. Stay home and continue to bitch on line.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Awful Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Jabroni wrote:

Totally.

It never ceases to amaze me regarding the negative attitudes of some of the members here.

I agree. The contempt for learners and the casual players is stupifying. And think about it, this is a forum that largely caters to students, often trying to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Perhaps we should ask the moderators to split the forum down the middle with one section for successful players, and another section for all the rest of us mortals.

There's a stereotype attributed to trumpet players. I hope I never live up to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: