• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jerry Hey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Jerry Hey Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUPu-MtZTW8&fbclid=IwAR2PVk9yL664lgZJ4h03AJQ4WoN2XMzlDtxdacZLim0uk2Iaq_gEnrm8MSk
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to resurrect this thread. I love talking about studio/session musicians because they are unsung heroes of the music industry. Jerry Hey is right there at the top and anyone who thinks they haven't heard him is deluding themselves - he's EVERYWHERE!

I've known who he was for a while, but I'm just now digging into his body of work.

If anyone has recommended recordings, or has any stories about meeting him or hearing him, feel free to add them.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Jerry in the hallway of a venue when he was on tour with Quincy Jones in 1982. We were both William Adam students in different eras and Mr Adam encouraged all his students to hear each other when possible.

The Quincy Jones performance required some physical contortions for the two trpts. I kidded Jerry about his IU "Marching Hundred" days and how it probably prepared him for this type of gig. As far as I know no young trpt student escaped playing at least one season in the IU marching band, no matter where they ended up later as a professional.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a good bit of that interview. He joked about the fact that he never graduated or earned a music degree - "If only I'd have graduated I might have had a good career!"

It's interesting how that works out sometimes thought. The idea is that you go to college, learn a bunch, earn a degree, then try to find work as a trumpet player.

I've always regretted not going that route, but I did the Army Band thing straight out of High School - I managed to find a way to gig and get paid right out of the gate, and by the time I might have otherwise gone to school, I was already playing at a level somewhat beyond many 4-year music school grads, although I wonder how much better I may have gotten if I had gone to a conservatory.

In any case, no one can take anything away from Jerry, regardless of the fact that he never graduated from college - he's an amazing player and arrange with the session credits and recordings that prove the point.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I've known who he was for a while, but I'm just now digging into his body of work.

If anyone has recommended recordings, or has any stories about meeting him or hearing him, feel free to add them.

Allmusic had a discography of him that was 1119 recordings!

Hands down favorites of mine are all he did with Seawind very early in his career starting in 1976.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerry Hey Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUPu-MtZTW8&fbclid=IwAR2PVk9yL664lgZJ4h03AJQ4WoN2XMzlDtxdacZLim0uk2Iaq_gEnrm8MSk

Just to do a little name-dropping, I played in a combo at UNT with Henry Hey when he was 19 years old. Talented way beyond his years. Must run in the family.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Jerry when he came out to Bloomington for a week's worth of lessons with Mr. Adam, and was practicing on the 3rd floor. This was in 1988-1989 oir so.

I found him to be a kind, generous and friendly guy. We had lunch one day at Bear's Place, and got to chat for a bit. He didn't need a degree to do what he did, and yet saw the value in seeking out the best to work with to improve his craft. It was a tremendous lesson for a guy who was in Bloomington to finish a doctoral degree, and made me question a lot of what I had done and choice I had made. Not because of anything he said, but just because he was able to do what I had always wanted to do, do it at the top of his field, and did not need a degree (or three) to do it.

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest I got to the man was in the mid-70s when Seawind came to Southern California. I saw them in some tiny venues. I remember sitting right up against the stage for an early show. When the band returned for the second show I was still sitting in the exact same spot, which didn't go unnoticed by a few of the players. One of them quipped "You still here?" and another said, "Still in love". At a glance that may seem conceited, but it was absolutely accurate. I adore that band to this day.
Rickperon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circa 1979, I was stationed at March AFB, Riverside CA., while there, I was part of the horn section in the Contemporary Christian Rock Band "Sweet Comfort" ... the Seawind horn section did the horns for them on I believe their 2nd & 3rd LPs, arranged by Bob Wilson (Drummer & leader of Seawind), it was a lot of fun playing those arrangements! We did open up for them at Disneyland one summer along with comedian Mike Warnke... I met Jerry briefly , super nice cat! He was warming up just before we were to go on, I was so intimidated that I dare not even take my horn out of the case until we went on stage! And of course, they sounded amazing! Bob & Pauline Wilson did show up at one later concert we did & came back stage afterwards to let us know that he really enjoyed our playing.... that was nice. Also just a little tidbit, the sax player in the section was Saul Miller, who eventually ended up going to the Airmen of Note in D.C. ..., we were very good friends, I knew his family at the time as well when Reggie Miller & Cheryl Miller were just kids.... great memories!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickperon wrote:
Circa 1979, I was stationed at March AFB, Riverside CA., while there, I was part of the horn section in the Contemporary Christian Rock Band "Sweet Comfort" ... the Seawind horn section did the horns for them on I believe their 2nd & 3rd LPs, arranged by Bob Wilson (Drummer & leader of Seawind), it was a lot of fun playing those arrangements!

It looks like this went uncredited. Either that or these recordings never made it into the Allmusic database.
Rickperon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It looks like this went uncredited. Either that or these recordings never made it into the Allmusic database"

That's a shame, doesn't appear that there are any credits for any of their recordings in Allmusic.... except that they (The Sweet Comfort Band) are the primary artist.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickperon wrote:
"It looks like this went uncredited. Either that or these recordings never made it into the Allmusic database"

That's a shame, doesn't appear that there are any credits for any of their recordings in Allmusic.... except that they (The Sweet Comfort Band) are the primary artist.
Just for fun, can you recall any of their tunes that featured the horns?
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?HT_Search=XARTIST&HT_Search_Info=Jerry+Hey

Search Discography at CD Universe.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
https://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?HT_Search=XARTIST&HT_Search_Info=Jerry+Hey

Search Discography at CD Universe.

Looks like a good site for buying recordings but I'm not finding musician credits there.

I have just tripped upon Discogs.com which credits Jerry with 2082 recordings () including some with the Sweet Comfort Band. So much for Allmusic.
Rickperon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, there you go.... Discogs.com pretty much confirms at least that the Seawind horns were on "Breakin The Ice" and "Hold on Tight".... I had moved on by the time Hearts of Fire came out, but yeah... Larry Hall and Ollie Mitchell listed as the trumpets. Cool!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall and Mitchell. Awesome.

Another cool coincidence is that one of the players in Sweet Comfort also worked with Allies and I know a guy that used to be with them, Kenny Williams. One of the few musical geniuses I've ever known.
shofar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny Williams was indeed an absolute genius. Such an amazing musician and an absolute joy to work with. He was whet we like to call "Good Peoples".
k0elw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:
I met Jerry in the hallway of a venue when he was on tour with Quincy Jones in 1982. We were both William Adam students in different eras and Mr Adam encouraged all his students to hear each other when possible.

The Quincy Jones performance required some physical contortions for the two trpts. I kidded Jerry about his IU "Marching Hundred" days and how it probably prepared him for this type of gig. As far as I know no young trpt student escaped playing at least one season in the IU marching band, no matter where they ended up later as a professional.

I was in Jerry’s starting class at IU in 1968. I remember him from Marching 100 (which music Ed majors were required to play in one year.) Another trumpet classmate from the same year Ed Cord, a performance major (now on faculty at IU) managed to avoid Marching 100. Jerry was an immediate standout, later I learned he studied with a Chicago Symphony member when
in high school. I graduated from IU in 1972 and went on to have a successful career as a software developer in a medical research lab. Perhaps had I dropped out I could have been a contender.
Dwils_01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Jerry Hey Warmup Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/rmfgNWQzeuY?si=B0M5ecT_CfAisKZZ

This is probably one of my favorite random recordings of Jerry Hey warming up in the studio. My professor Dr. Sievers sent it around once and I always find myself coming back to listen to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: