• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Has Sibelius seen better days?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Has Sibelius seen better days? Reply with quote

I've been using Sibelius since it has been on floppy disc. Since it has transferred to Avid, the customer service, especially registration and initializing functions, seem to have gotten more complex, cumbersome and time consuming.

Has anybody else had this experience? Is it time to transfer to Finale?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Sibelius seen better days? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I've been using Sibelius since it has been on floppy disc. Since it has transferred to Avid, the customer service, especially registration and initializing functions, seem to have gotten more complex, cumbersome and time consuming.

Has anybody else had this experience? Is it time to transfer to Finale?

I still use Sibelius. I've been using it since version 1.4. I gave up and froze my version around version 7.5, after numerous cases of Avid giving Sibelius users the shaft, and forcing a switch to a subscription and lying about what they'll get for their money (much of it, money thrown down the drain).

As long as my operating system supports Sibelius, I'll continue using it, and suffer through the customer "service" pain when I need to move to different machines. Some day, when Sibelius 7.5 becomes untenable, I'll look at Dorico. It's written by the Sibelius development team that Avid fired (the first of several times they abandoned Sibelius users). If you're considering dumping Sibelius for Finale, you might have a look at Dorico. I haven't been following it lately, but early on, it looked very promising.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorico looks promising. The learning curve should be minimum, coming from Sibelius. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Dorico looks promising. The learning curve should be minimum, coming from Sibelius. Thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder if that is true. I checked out their webpage and didn’t see any thing saying they used a similar interface. I am a Sibelius user and would be happy to change over if I ever need to upgrade.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was jumping ship from Sib, I would investigate Dorico. I trialled Finale and found it quite unusual. I'm sure 10-20 hours working in it would iron out things. That said, I am a happy Sib user (from ver 1.4!).

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In temporary retirement mode, I have lost access to the institution's Sibelius account, so I installed it on my desktop last week. Took all of 15 minutes from start to finish.

I really can't complain about customer service, as I have NEVER had an issue. Ever. When I get stuck I consult the PDF manual search and generally find the solution in a couple of minutes.

Having flown Notator, then Finale (and teaching both at college level) and then to Sibelius, all I can say is these are tools, not life choices. Far too many get all invested in one platform or another.

I remember well what it was like to be a professional copyist doing jingles by hand: 10am recording session, two more versions to write out, no photocopiers, etc. etc.

It gives me an appreciation of how these applications make life easy...

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: