• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet vs Trumpet-New Member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedFuZZy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently found this great resource here and now I have to vent all of my questions here. lol I hope yu don't mind. Even though this is probably a dumb question to most here, what is the big difference between a cornet and trumpet. I'm so used to seeing them as well abused school horns and mixed in with the last chair trumpet players. I'm curious as to what the difference in sound qualities might be. I've heard they are kind of in between the flugel horn and trumpet and aren't as bright sounding as the trumpet. Any help would be greatly appreciated on resolving this confusion of mine.
MaynardProdigy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornets are supposed to give you a darker tone. Think dark, full, rich tone. More like concert band, symphonic band, soloist. I love the cornet for very technical solos but that is my opinion. Trumpets to me are stronger, louder, fanfare, marching band, Jazz solos, Screaming, but can also have cornet qualities if you use the right technique. To tell you the truth, the only way that you'll ever find out the truths and differences about trumpets and cornets is experience it yourself like most of us have.
In middle and high school no one played the cornet beause the trumpet was cooler. The cornet was for thoes geeks that couldn't do jazz solos. That was 7 years ago for me. Oh boy has that attitude changed. I love cornets and trumpets as equaly as I like classical and jazz.
Hope you learned something from what I have experienced

Was that a fast enough responce for you?

Silver/Gold Bach Stad 43
81' MF ST-302
51' Olds Super (LA)
631 Yamaha Flugel
***Working on***
Yamaha Xeno
Martin Committee
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are really 2 different types of Cornets. Long Bell and Short Bell. This can really confuse the questions. In comparing sounds of these 2 cornets, the Long Bell can sound very close to a Trumpet, while the Short Bell sounds closer to a Flugelhorn. While they can both play the same parts in an ensemble, the cornet will blend much easier with woodwinds while the trumpet is designed to stand out. Many advanced concert bands will purchase a matched set of cornets for concert use while having the same players play trumpet during marching band. I have found that I can't trill a middle C to D on any trumpet I've played however, I can play this same articulation on any cornet. Go figure? My point here is that they also play differently than a trumpet.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, quite a few people are turning to cornet for jazz -- at least, I've read a lot about that on the TH. If you're playing upper statosphere, screaming jazz lead stuff, use a trumpet. If you're improvising in a setting where you don't need to cut through a cornet can be a great choice for jazz. It's not either/or, it's a matter of picking the right tool for the job! I don't think I've said that very well, but I suspect that if you search TH for "cornet" and "jazz" and look at posts by Rich Willey (BeboppinFool) and Tom Turner (tom turner) you'll find some excellent information.

When I'm playing in a small jazz/swing group, cornet is my instrument of choice for a lot of the ballads -- "Misty" and "Tenderly" come to mind.

I do agree that in the past, cornets were often considered considered second-tier instruments in a lot of schools ... I know that was certainly the case when I was in high school back in the early '70's.

The best way to understand the difference between the horns is to play them both (with proper mouthpieces, please don't use a trumpet piece in your cornet!) and listen to the difference.

Steve

"Please! Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

[ This Message was edited by: swthiel on 2003-11-09 06:58 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a good example of a cornet used in trad jazz, tune into NPR's "Riverwalk" program (I think it airs at different times around the country, depending on the schedule of your local public radio station) to hear Jim Cullum, who plays a Conn 80A Victor cornet.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: