• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Busking!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of a better one; a sax player who - buskers in crowded areas often get tips while packing up or setting up, "Sorry I missed you/sorry I can't stick around to hear you" - so one sax player apparently just set up and broke down all day, never played a note!
jazzman99
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I busk with my trombone friend as often as we can. We used to every Saturday outside of a local pizza shop (actually in the alley way beside it. Fantastic acoustics.) from 7:15/7:30 to about 10:15. Saturdays are car show days, and those are big in small towns like the one I live in...

We mostly do pure improv, but sometimes we'll throw in something we know. We've recently added Chameleon to our rep. We're not down there for money, although it's nice. We're down there to share our love and blessing of making music and to set an example. A lot of the youth today likes to ride around on their skateboards excessively and cuss and smoke and do drugs and blah blah blah... It gets old. Why not show the world not everybody is like that? Leave a positive example, inspiration and legacy.

As to how much money we make depends on the weather, time, and events. It has ranged from about two bucks a piece to 32 bucks a piece.

Getting to talk to and make an impact on people is great. It's far more rewarding than getting tipped. To know that you've made a positive impact on someone's day is really a fulfilling feeling.

We've never had an issue with the police. The only problem we've had was when we added a drummer and he got there before us one night and got kicked out due to noise complaints. Shame, as he was really a great addition with us... He could bring a smaller, less noisy instrument of percussion, which he probably will.

Also, it gets youth interested in making music and listening to it. Seeing little kids dance around can be pretty humorous, and it's really great when their parents/guardians have to drag them off. It's awesome to see someone really digging it, regardless of age.

It helps local business too... The owner of the pizza shop come out and was talking to us one night and explained how much of a crowd and business it brings by. He told us we were always welcome to that alley. It felt great to know we have a home, so to speak.

And you can really learn how to express yourself better the more you do it. I mean, sure that was a "DUH" moment, but it really applies to more than just making music. Being able to take a thought, positive or negative and turn it into a beautiful melody can open not only your eyes, but other's as well. My friend and I made someone cry once while busking/jamming.

Not to mention chop building. If you can go for three hours straight playing various types of music, you can learn to change your style easier. (and if you can keep your Double G's or so all night, it can be a real crowd pleaser if you use it correctly.)

You can meet new people to jam with and learn from them. And maybe even teach them something as well. You can also make many connections and hookups. The pizza shop I've referenced a couple of times usually has live music every night, and two or three country bands have had us come in and play with them. Learn your scales folks. Playing in the key of B and C# (for Bb trumpet) with a band you don't know in front of people expecting great things, because you've met the bands' standards can be daunting, especially if you haven't run scales in a while.

As I've mentioned before, people are what make it fun and worthwhile. You can get some stories from busking... One night a man came up to us and explained that in order to charge his phone, he had to leave his car running. He didn't want to leave it unattended while he ate, and said
"If you make sure no one runs off in my car while I eat, I'll tip you guys $20." We agreed. "Great!" He replied. He then pulled out a $20 bill and ripped it in half, and put one half in my case. "I'll give you the first half now to make sure you do your job, and I'll give you the other half if my car's still here after I finish eating." My friend's jaw was as long as his trombone slide. The man held his word and gave the other half after he finished eating.
One time, a drunk lady came out and started hugging us. "You guys are great!" she exclaimed. You could tell she was a heavy smoker by her voice. Real... Smokey... Every time we would stop playing to take a break she'd yell "Come on! You guys can do it! Don't stop!" My friend eventually told her that we had to pack up and go inside, to which we did. It was a fun experience, none the less.
Then, one night I was soloing alone, and a man came up and we struck up a conversation and he said "I play the bones." I asked him if he meant trombone, and he said no. He pulled out three beef ribs from his back pocket and we jammed together. Who knew beef ribs could pick up a session and make it lively...

Oh, the fun stories and memories are fantastic. I wish I would have kept a diary of our jam sessions. The stories can be wild and need documentation... I'm going to start one now, because who knows what will happen.

I've made a long post, and I've certainly left out a bunch. Jam sessions/busking is tones of fun, and the memories and friendships built from it can last a lifetime... It's more than simply Jamming/busking, and I wished more people realized what all it actually is.

Thank you, OP for staring this thread. It's brought back many memories
and fanned the flames of my already huge passion for jamming.
Jupiter 1700R Piccolo W/ Yamaha Allen Vizzutti MP
Kanstul 1525 w/ Flip Oakes Wild Thing Extreme #1.25
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holidays are the best (Christmas) played outside Fannuil hall, Boston once made $100.00 from business men & women as they exited their office Christmas parties, etc. . . . also did it in NYC one Christmas, made enough for 4 of us to go to 7th Avenue south and see Brandford Marsalis wailing on Tenor Sax. We even got to loan him a neck strap (as he was missing his) one of our crew (who played tenor) had one that he lent.

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzman99 that was one heck of a post, thanks!
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - neat getting to see Branford Marsalis, and how's a pro like him end up w/o his sax strap? Even neater that you had one handy for him.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just want to say thank you, all, for such a positive thread about busking. It's good to see something other than condemnation and long rants about how the cops are gonna haul ya' away for playing on the street, etc. Many instructors encourage their students to go out busking, to learn to overcome "stage fright" and to teach them to find a "link" with the public.

It's been great.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
I do it pretty regularly on trombone in Washington Square Park in NYC. We generally make around 60-80 bucks per man for an hour and a half, which we promptly spend at the closest bar.

You also play Trombone? Mike you are truly a man of musical mystery!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the best threads I've read here in a long time!
jazzman99
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
This is one of the best threads I've read here in a long time!

I agree. To those who do busk, what do you play?
Classic tunes, pure improv, etc? What's some of your favorite licks?

If I start to jack the thread, lemme know and I'll ask in an original thread. I'd hate to be a thread jacker.
Jupiter 1700R Piccolo W/ Yamaha Allen Vizzutti MP
Kanstul 1525 w/ Flip Oakes Wild Thing Extreme #1.25
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We played Holiday tunes with a "Jazzy Flair" arrangement-wise. I also used to play duets (classical) with a Berklee College buddy of mine at Government Center T-station Boston. Chris Zimmerly from Long Island, was his name, and unfortunately he died as a result of a freak accident (falling out of the back of a pick-up truck) right after we graduated.

I actually composed a piece of music for one of my first teaching gigs (jazz combo) and dedicated to him.

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:
I do it pretty regularly on trombone in Washington Square Park in NYC. We generally make around 60-80 bucks per man for an hour and a half, which we promptly spend at the closest bar.

You also play Trombone? Mike you are truly a man of musical mystery!

Interestingly enough, I make a considerable portion of my living playing trombone.

If you had told me that 10 years ago, I would have told you you were crazy.

Link

Link

Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, you guys got me all jazzed to try busking again. I've only ever done it with a barbershop quartet, not trumpet. I have to say that there is no way I could hang with Mike Sailors or John Mohan, and I don't have a band. However, I just bought a Roland BA330, a small(ish) battery operated PA system and some Jamey Aebersold backing tracks. I'm retiring in a couple of months so I will have the time. I just need to scout out some local venues.

By the way, technically it is not busking, but playing for the elderly in a nursing home is the next best thing. It can be rewarding (not in a monetary sense). I once performed for some Alzheimer's patients. One woman, who looked comatose, slumping over in a wheel chair, came to life when I performed. The nurses were shocked. They had never seen her show personality before, but she perked up, started smiling and sang along. Funny how she could remember the words to the songs. It appeared as though I had brightened up her day, but really, she brightened up mine. I'll never forget that moment. To me, that is what music is about, sharing what you love and brightening up people's day.
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Andrew deValpine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
Interestingly enough, I make a considerable portion of my living playing trombone.

Yeah, Mike . . . you were especially killin' it on "Addicted To Love."

You da man!

And to think I may have been among the first people to ever hear you attempt to play a trombonish type of an instrument!

BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to be able to play solo unaccompanied.. and keep the audience interested. It's hard work and a real art in it's own right, I believe. I've tried rehearsing such a performance. I got up to 15 minutes.. It's nice to have a guitar player, or even a percussionist.

There's an App!!!! Relatively new.. It's called "Busker". You can live stream your busking (or any) performance, and send and receive tweets within the app (eg. people can tweet requests).. and not only that, your fans can tip you with the on line tipping feature (uses Paypal). Also, when you have a performance, you can instantly notify every one in your twitter or FB contacts. I haven't tried it, but sounded interesting..

Last edited by BPL on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:

Yeah, Mike . . . you were especially killin' it on "Addicted To Love."

You da man!

And to think I may have been among the first people to ever hear you attempt to play a trombonish type of an instrument!

You were THE first!
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Loved your uploads. Really nice music. Thanks.
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: I'm back Reply with quote

Well here it is just about exactly 3 years since this thread started.

I went out busking more, got to where $10-$20 an hour was pretty much par for the course, then I got frustrated with my inability to go above the staff with any ease at all, and started working out of a book that was supposed to get me up there. I was really stubborn and forcing myself, and I finally got frustrated when I went to practice one night and it's almost like my throat clenched up.

In the middle of this was a move to a new building too, so that didn't help.

In the last year or so, I've seen my city, San Jose California, become almost busker-less. Leroy and his sax are still seen very occasionally, Recorder Guy seems to have left town, Rabbit Trumpet Guy is only seen occasionally and no, he's not improved, and I'm starting to feel the itch to get back out there.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about the bunny man, he's consistent. I'm not sure if I ever tipped him. But for sure the sax guy got money from me. We were in San Jose about a month ago but didn't go downtown. Glad to see you are still around.

Regarding busking. My band played yesterday at a little ice cream shop in our very small town. They let us play inside. No pay of course. But we get some tips and it's air conditioned. That's great when it is 100 outside. How about finding a business in your area that will allow you to set up and play? Maybe one of the San Pedro restaurants with a patio area?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I play at the "old spag" these days I'd be right by some outdoor seating areas ...

There's a new busker in town, Gabriel, who plays violin and is very good. He has a deal with a wine bar on a street that crosses 1st called "Paseo de San Antonio" where he gets tips plus they pay him, apparently. He's worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: