• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James R. New Mouthpieces Review

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: James R. New Mouthpieces Review Reply with quote

I’m pleased to report that Jim New, formerly in charge of mouthpiece design and production at Kanstul Musical Instruments, has his own mouthpiece business up and running and has designed and is now producing a WONDERFUL line of mouthpieces. In particular, in addition to the great craftsmanship and consistency he has always been known for, his new line of mouthpieces is very logically thought out, including all possible combinations of 3 different rim shapes, three different cup shapes/depths, and five different rim (cup) diameters covering a range from the size of a Bach 10-1/2C to that of a Bach 1C. In between sizing can also be custom ordered and he has several additional custom backbores available.

Jim sent me a bunch of his tops and backbores to evaluate (they are available as two piece setups in the Warburton style, or one piece, all for very reasonable prices).

Of his rim shapes, the R rim is more rounded and according to his website, “modeled after the rim used by Del Steiger renowned for his flexibility studies”. Note that Claude Gordon’s rims were also modeled after the rim used by Del Steiger. So essentially, Jim’s R rim has the same shape as the rim on the CG Personal mouthpiece offered by Kanstul and C.G.P. mouthpiece offered by Marcinkiewicz. This will be of interest to those who play the CG Personal but would like to try a different rim diameter or cup depth.

The S rim (S for Standard) has a thickness and shape identical to the rim on Arturo Sandoval’s favorite Mt Vernon 3C. And again, one can order any of the different rim (cup) diameters or depths and get this fantastic rim on the mouthpiece size and depth of their choice. And here’s a hint: For those who have been searching for a way to get an accurate copy of Arturo Sandoval’s Mt Vernon 3C, here is the magic James R. New Model combo: S5M with the S Backbore. It’ll come with a 27 throat but Jim can put a 24 throat in it (as is on Arturo’s personal MV3C). The S5M with S Backbore is a digital clone of Arturo’s Mt Vernon 3C. This combination was among the different ones Jim sent me. I’m keeping it! I’ve finally been able to now send my copy of Arturo’s MV3C (the one Jim made me when he was at Kanstul) off to be gold plated as I now have a copy of it that feels the same on my face and sounds wonderful! And with its (smaller) standard 27 throat, that bit of added resistance actually makes the notes from High C to the G above pop out with a little more zip.

His W rim is a wider rim designed for comfort and endurance. While I don’t have a scans comparing it to other mouthpieces, I’d say it’s pretty similar to a typical Reeves 42 rim in terms of thickness and contour.

In terms of cup shapes/depths, his S cup is very similar to a typical Reeves S cup, his M cup has the shape and depth of Arturo’s MV3C and his D cup looks to me from the scan to be identical in shape and depth to the cup on Claude Gordon’s Personal mouthpiece (the CG Personal). So again, anybody who likes the CG Personal can now order a version of it in a variety of diameters. I plan to purchase a D cup version with the rim and diameter of my MV3C clone soon (this combo would be a S5D with the P backbore). The CG Personal has always felt just a tad too small in diameter for me (and that rounded rim never played nice with me).

Jim offers a variety of Backbore sizes. His L Backbore is the tightest and designed for high register lead playing. His C (“Commercial) backbore is more open but still generates a pretty bright sound. Of note, his S (“Studio”) backbore is a copy of the rather one-of-a-kind backbore on Arturo’s MV3C (in theory it is a Bach 10 backbore, but it starts off bigger than the typical 10 and ends up a bit smaller than a typical Bach 10 backbore). There’s something almost magic about this particular backbore. Lots of top guys including Charlie Davis have been getting mouthpieces with this backbore and I agree with them. It yields a really nice warm sound when that’s what you want, but seems to be real easy to “light up” when that’s what’s needed. Not too open, not too stuffy. Just right. Finally, his P Backbore (“Philharmonic”) is big and open and seems very similar to the backbore on the CG Personal mouthpiece. Someone wanting a near clone (save for the outer blank shape) of a CG Personal would order an R4D with the P backbore and a #22 (or a #20) Throat. Or, as I wrote earlier, one could substitute a different rim diameter of his or her choosing and would then be able to have a larger or smaller diameter version of the CG Personal.

I am really impressed with the quality and design of the mouthpieces Jim sent me, and it seems obvious to me this quality and level of workmanship is representative of all the possible size/rim/depth/backbore combinations Jim is now offering. He’s purposely placing his price point in a very affordable range. Make no mistake – his low prices are NOT in keeping with the extreme high quality and great designs he’s offering. Though he has decades of mouthpiece making experience, this is for him a new business and I’m sure he wants to build it up quickly. I imagine his price point is going to change in time. You might want to act sooner rather than later. The quality and craftsmanship will always be available – but I imagine the bargain pricing might be temporary. All in all I’m impressed. Very impressed.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
lynn9544

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: James R. New Mouthpieces Review Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more, John. Jim has been making my XPiece, Reversible Rim and now the Nicholson Personal. His work is not only outstanding, but he is extremely fast/affordable. He also offers attitude free input, depending your needs....

http://james-r-new.com/

Hope you are all well....
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim is making me some custom pieces too and has been very patient and helpful. Also, his custom work prices are fairly cheap
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review John.

I met Mr. New at Kanstul a few years ago and he made some copies of a mouthpiece for me. They were very accurate. I would think with the advances in technology that they may be even more so now.

His website doesn't mention copies; do you think he still does that?

Also, did you try his Gap Modulator, and if so, what do you think about it? From what I read, it seems that once a mouthpiece is fitted with one, it can be dialed in to any horn performing the same task as Reeves shanks.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

I just recently asked him about that, and he currently does not have the equipment to do digital scans, but he's hoping to add that in the future.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

I met Mr. New at Kanstul a few years ago and he made some copies of a mouthpiece for me. They were very accurate. I would think with the advances in technology that they may be even more so now.

Also, did you try his Gap Modulator, and if so, what do you think about it? From what I read, it seems that once a mouthpiece is fitted with one, it can be dialed in to any horn performing the same task as Reeves shanks.

He can provide further copies of mouthpieces he scanned in the past and still has the data for, but as the previous poster wrote, he cannot do new scans yet.

I'm not familiar with his Gap Modulator.

Best wishes,

John
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
markp wrote:

He can provide further copies of mouthpieces he scanned in the past and still has the data for, but as the previous poster wrote, he cannot do new scans yet.

Hi John

Regarding this, would Jim New hold the data for the scans he did of my Bach 3C in 2009, or are these the property of Kanstul? I'd like another modular top copy made some time.

Take Care

Lou

I'm not familiar with his Gap Modulator.

Best wishes,

John

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my 2 cents, Mr. New just completed a custom project for me. He was extremely analytical, helpful, did very accurate work, extremely reasonable in price, and most importantly solved my problem, which was complex to me, with a very straight forward, logical, minimalist approach.
I highly recommend him.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim New has always been great to deal with, and does exceptional work for a very reasonable price. I have always used him for my mouthpiece work and will use him again.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling for Mr. New. I was able to help him optimize a few of his website pages and he is excited to launch this business. At the same time, I have been very busy completely rebuilding my website and adding players so as to be in compliance with Googles new rules.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piling on here. Since reading about his new business, I've purchased two pieces, including one of his fantastic Arturo pieces. The Arturo 3C is really something very special and seems to have the really rich and flexible sound of a 1960s 3C I have but with an easier playability up and down the horn. Love it.

Communication, service, and craftsmanship have been absolutely first rate each time.
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowave wrote:

Communication, service, and craftsmanship have been absolutely first rate each time.

What he said...
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Hi John

Regarding this, would Jim New hold the data for the scans he did of my Bach 3C in 2009, or are these the property of Kanstul? I'd like another modular top copy made some time.

Take Care

Lou

I'm not sure. You should contact Jim through the contact form on his website:

http://www.james-r-new.com/contact.html

Cheers,

John
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Hi John

Take Care

Lou

I'm not sure. You should contact Jim through the contact form on his website:

http://www.james-r-new.com/contact.html

Cheers,

John

Hi John

Thank you very much.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ubieday
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad to see these posts about Jim New. Jim has done some wonderful work for me over the past several years. He has always been my go-to guy with custom mouthpieces. Now his mouthpieces are self-named, which is great, because people really should know his name -- he has been a pillar in the business for a long time. Even if Jim doesn't currently have an optical scanner, he has an enormous database from which to develop a custom piece. He can do things that I never even thought possible. For example, I have always loved the sound of a Bach 7D/117 for piccolo playing, but I have struggled with the rim contour. I took this problem to Jim, and he was able to take my usual rim, a Laskey 75C, and size it down to fit the little Bach picc mouthpiece. The result was a custom milled, one piece mouthpiece that has made an enormous difference for me while playing in the heat of battle. Check him out. He is really great guy to have in your corner. I consider him a friend, and have been cheering him on with his transition to his own mouthpiece company. Like Scott Laskey at Schilke, he has been the brains and hands behind Kanstull's success for decades. It's great to see him doing it on his own now.

Barry Hillam
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: James R. New Mouthpieces Review Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I plan to purchase a D cup version with the rim and diameter of my MV3C clone soon (this combo would be a S5D with the P backbore).

John, thanks for starting this thread!

Now, a specific question about ID sizes. If I understand Jim's nomenclature, this mpc would have an ID of .650". As I understand it that Arturo clone MV3C has the diameter of a 1.5C, which is .665". (Which is also how things register on my calipers) That's a pretty wide discrepancy; can you verify and/or elucidate further?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: James R. New Mouthpieces Review Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
I plan to purchase a D cup version with the rim and diameter of my MV3C clone soon (this combo would be a S5D with the P backbore).

John, thanks for starting this thread!

You're welcome! Happy to do it for Jim and for everybody's benefit.

razeontherock wrote:
Now, a specific question about ID sizes. If I understand Jim's nomenclature, this mpc would have an ID of .650". As I understand it that Arturo clone MV3C has the diameter of a 1.5C, which is .665". (Which is also how things register on my calipers) That's a pretty wide discrepancy; can you verify and/or elucidate further?

If I had a nickel for every time I've pointed out that one cannot compare numerical measurements of different mouthpieces, especially if the measurements come from different sources...

Jim's measurements seen to run a bit small compared to the way others measure, though according to his website he measures "the inner diameter at the point where contour arcs change direction or the point where a rim meets the bowl or cup of the mouthpiece."

I think the best way to compare (besides actually playing the pieces) is to compare digital scans against each other. Jim has set up a new Mouthpiece Scan Viewer and is loading more mouthpiece scans into its database all the time. All of his standard line are there now as well as many others:

http://www.james-r-new.com/untitled.html

Jim's S rim shape is identical to the rim shape on Arturo's favorite MV3C, and Jim's 5 rim size is the same rim size (cup diameter size) as Arturo's MV3C. Further, his M cup depth has the same cup depth and cup shape as Arturo's MV3C. So the combination of the S rim, 5 rim size and M cup depth yields a copy of Arturo's rim and cup. Merged with Jim's S Backbore (which is a clone of Arturo's backbore) this combination yields a very nice copy of Arturo's mouthpiece, but with a 27 throat (unless ordered with a #24 throat like Arturo's). I'm playing on that combo right now (typing while resting between exercises), the S5M/S setup. I love it! (My original copy of Arturo's MV3C is off being gold plated right now). With the smaller (27) throat, the higher notes have a bit more zing to them.

Lastly, note that in the selection of my prior writing you quoted in your post, I was writing about the idea of creating sort of a hybrid mouthpiece that combined the CG Personal cup shape and depth (and backbore) with the rim and rim size from the Arturo MV3C.

Cheers,

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: News Flash! Reply with quote

News Flash!

Jim sent me another top to try out. The first set of mouthpiece parts he sent me included the medium version of his cup (the S5M) and shallow version of his cup (an S5S). As I told him, I found the shallow version to be too shallow for me. It was not unplayable, but the sound was too bright (harsh) and I think I would have problems with bottoming out on it if my lips were slightly swollen from playing on a heavy show. I suggested he should create an in-between size and called it an MS cup. Which he did!

Jim made and sent me a S5MS top and it arrived yesterday. He basically split the difference between his M and his S cup shapes and depths. And it's wonderful.

Now I am in a rather unique situation. Where as most players are looking for that "Holy Grail" mouthpiece and can't find it, I now have a situation where I have multiple mouthpieces that I'm very happy with. My original copy of Arturo's MV3C and the two progressively shallower versions of it made for me by Karl Hammond are about to arrive back after being gold plated through Karl's company. And they're great and I look forward to having them all back. And now I've got the S5M/S and S5MS/S (the final S referring to Jim's S for "Studio" backbore) mouthpieces from Jim and I'm crazy about them, too!

Note that as I understand it, Jim's "S" (Studio) backbore is a copy of the rather unique backbore from Arturo Sandoval's favorite Mt Vernon 3C, which in theory would be a standard Bach 10 backbore, but it starts a little larger and then doesn't open up as much as a typical 10 backbore. It has a great feel and sound to it and several top players, including Charlie Davis have had this backbore fitted to mouthpieces during Jim's tenure with Kanstul. It's my preferred backbore as well.

Here's my prediction: I think Jim's hot sellers are going to be the following models:

S5M/S - An exact copy of Arturo's MV3C but coming with a #27 throat instead of the #24 as Arturo had bored out to on his (of course one can ask Jim to increase the throat size to 24 if desired).

S5MS/S- A slightly shallower version of the above. This is going to be a GREAT mouthpiece for players who don't like / can't play well on the typical (significantly) shallow mouthpiece but want a brighter sound and slightly easier high notes.

S4M/S - Same as the S5M/S but with a slightly smaller cup diameter. I think in the long run this is going to be his biggest seller (though between it and the other three listed here it's going to be close).

S4MS/S - Slightly shallower version of the S4M/S.

His new MS cup is not on his MPV scan comparison tool yet ( James R New Mouthpiece Profile Viewer ), but here's a scan he sent me comparing it to the M cup and the S cup:

https://s25.postimg.org/qmlt8vbgv/JR_NEW_S5_S_MS_M.jpg

I really think Jim has created what could turn out to be some Holy Grail level mouthpieces for many players.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the S6M cup and the S back bore. The cup has the Mt. Vernon 3C rim shape, but wider diameter, more like the Bach 1 1/2C that I use, but somewhat shallower. I love it. It's more comfortable and gets a bigger, better sound.

Also really like the S back bore. I had some consistently bad notes on my trumpet (2-3 combinations) that I thought were the trumpet's fault or my fault. Always cracking and hard to bring into tune with a sound that was not consistent with other notes. This back bore cured that immediately. Every note from bottom to top sounds and feels alike now.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:

John Mohan:
If I had a nickel for every time I've pointed out that one cannot compare numerical measurements of different mouthpieces, especially if the measurements come from different sources...

Jim's measurements seen to run a bit small compared to the way others measure, though according to his website he measures "the inner diameter at the point where contour arcs change direction or the point where a rim meets the bowl or cup of the mouthpiece."

I think the best way to compare (besides actually playing the pieces) is to compare digital scans against each other. Jim has set up a new Mouthpiece Scan Viewer and is loading more mouthpiece scans into its database all the time. All of his standard line are there now as well as many others:

“If I had a nickel for every time I've pointed out that one cannot compare numerical measurements of different mouthpieces, especially if the measurements come from different sources...”

From Gary Radtke:

That is a good statement and today you might wish for a quarter.

1. When measuring the inside diameter you are dealing with a radius or nonlinear geometry. The change in diameter is very great, therefore, a specific depth must be given and all if all makers would provide the dimension it would help. Help, although with tolerances, buffing, and plating there would be some variation.

2. The bite radius, highpoint, and radius of the curvature can make the ID feel different. If the highpoint is closer to the bite it might feel smaller. If the bite is soft it will feel larger. If the alpha angle is higher or lower the lip engagement can change. A flatter rim with a sharp bite might feel smaller that it actually is and a rounded rim with soft bite and highpoint that is outward will feel larger.

3. Resistance of the system will have an effect on lip engagement and the more lip that goes in the cup, the smaller the cup feels.

How do you deal with this: r4………. This is the GR Parameter that gives a dimension at a given depth of .032” from the rim plane. This could be any depth just so everyone measured to this point. We give a dimension at r2, this is where the bite radius ends. The softer the bite the deeper it goes before it hits the alpha angle. So for the r2 dimension we do not provide a depth.

With GR mouthpieces the arcs don’t follow the change in direction that others use. Although, if they measure to a change in direction it will be further from the rim plane and a greater depth, therefore, the ID would be a smaller number than if it was measured at -.032”.

Comparing scans? Having experience with metrology and all the processes there are too many variables when looking an old mouthpiece and trying to scan it.

Visual is easy for many to see. Hard gauging will give accuracy, although, not easy for an unskilled person to do.

For this reasons the GR Parameters were created to communicate.

Gary Radtke
www.grmouthpieces.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: