• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James R. New Mouthpieces Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! Good to know, a S5MD would be nice for the Cornet.
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ms cup is excellent for Eb cornet, too.
Gives loads of support up high, but without being overly shallow and the tone works - can get very bright when pushed but will allow for enough warmth at quiet and mid dynamics.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexluther wrote:
I ordered a S5M and a S5MS with the S backbore. Jim was fantastic to work with. I love dealing with people and business's that have a "sense of urgency" with what they are doing. I am currently playing on a Bach Commercial 3MV. It will be interesting to compare these pieces with the Bach. I am especially looking forward to the MS version. I wonder if he has a Cornet bore, I forgot to ask?

I've tried the Bach 3MV (the Commercial is wider than a standard 3), expect the S5MS to be a bit smaller and a "lot" deeper but with an overall broader sound. The MS cup is not shallow at all, could pass for a deep cup on other brands. The rim is also different. I personally prefer the MS cup but i have trouble with shallow pieces.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently ordered the S5M with the S backbore and 24 throat. I really like the piece. I find the rim is somewhere between my 80s Bach 3C and the Curry 3C.. We are still in the honeymoon phase so I will have to let you know what I think after it starts leaving the cap off of the toothpaste and laundry on the floor.
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the mouthpieces were delivered today. I was super excited to get home and get to some playing. Um, looks like I am waiting until Christmas! The wife wrapped them and put them under the tree!! I'll report back in a couple of days. lol.
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexluther wrote:
Well, the mouthpieces were delivered today. I was super excited to get home and get to some playing. Um, looks like I am waiting until Christmas! The wife wrapped them and put them under the tree!! I'll report back in a couple of days. lol.

Dawww, sounds like you have a sweet wife. You can wait a couple days..

Merry Christmas
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I thought I'd share how pleased I am with my new James R New modular mouthpiece components.

He made me three more of the top which he made me whilst he was at Kanstul, a copy of the cup end of my 2005 Bach 3C, so that I can use this top on all my trumpets.

He also made me three new backbores. As I said earlier on this thread, these are Bach 10 backbores with the standard reamer depth, rather than his new S backbore, which differs from most Bach 10 backbores by having the backbore reamer inserted further as on Arturo Sandoval's Mount Vernon 3C, leaving a shorter throat cylinder, which gives a richer, fuller sound quality.

Jim cut these for sleeves for me, and I've chosen his 6.5 sleeve.

This new sleeved backbore has a very smooth and even response, and I am very very pleased with it, and have switched to it on all my three trumpets.

I wish everyone a Happy New Year and great 2017.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Happy New Year! I'm so happy to read all the positive comments about Jim's mouthpieces here! He's a good guy, and a talented craftsman and he deserves continued success, which I think he's going to have this year and in the coming years.

I want to add an observation regarding my exact copy of Arturo's MV3C Jim made me (complete with the larger #24 throat) when he was still with Kanstul and the S5M-S Jim recently sent me which is identical to the Sandoval piece save for its (smaller) standard size #27 throat: Though my teacher (Claude Gordon) always advocated larger throat sizes, in this case, for higher register playing, the S5M-S with its #27 throat is definitely better for me. That bit of added resistance helps, and the sound in the High C and above range is definitely more powerful and a bit brighter, and takes a little less effort. Down low in the staff and below I do prefer the Sandoval piece with its larger #24 throat.

I've received several messages from folks who have and like the exact Sandoval copy but feel it is a bit much for them in terms of endurance, etc. I think those and perhaps many others like them would be well served by getting the S5M-S with it's standard #27 throat, especially if they intend to play 1st Parts on it.

Best wishes, and Happy New Year,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received the S4M and MS cups. They are definitely a better match for me. That "tiny" difference in diameter makes a big difference on my lips. I currently play on Horn Trader 3-27 (no letter) and 3CS-28 pieces and the S4 is a very close match. The rim feels different: even if both are copied from Mt.Vernon rims the HT feels flatter to me.
Maybe i should try a W4M cup ... who knows.
In the meantime if someone may be interested i have S5MS and S5D cups new to sell or exchange.
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Based on John Mohan's write-up, I just ordered an S5M trumpet mouthpiece with an S backbore and 27 throat.

A number of years back, I acquired a Mt. Vernon Bach 3C mouthpiece. It had the most wonderful sound and response imaginable. The rim was perfect for me, and I felt I had finally found "the one". Well, I loaned it to the principal trumpet in one of the major orchestras and when I got it back, it had been converted to a screw rim! That was the end of my dream...

I am hoping the S5M will have some of the qualities of my lost love, and with a 25% holiday discount, its purchase was a no brainer for me. And yes, the sevice I received during the ordering process was second to none. It is clear that Jim is striving for excellence in both products and customer service.

During the last 15-20 years, I have been playing on another dream mouthpiece. It is a Mt. Vernon Bach 1-1/2C that I acquired new old-stock. I have a matching cornet version as well. For me, nothing can touch them. If the S5M turns out to play like I am hoping it will, I will be a happy man indeed!

Sincerely.

Steve Allison

What's the verdict?
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I got my pieces today....
Ordered a set of cups cut for screw-rims (all in 4 size - S, MS, M, D - Jim surprised me by sending an MD also), two delrin screw-rims (an S4 rim in black and W4 rim in white) and an "S" cornet backbore.
Jim had made some brass rims to screw onto the cups for the plating process and very kindly included them.

Everything unboxed:

My delrin S4 rim on the 4M cup:

Incase anyone might find it moderately useful...

Cups from left: S, MS, M, MD, D

Outstandingly well made, play superbly and again (and exactly as everyone else has experienced) absolutely astonishing communication and service.
Would without question be my #1 go-to guy for custom work in future (though I'm obviously hoping not to need it )

I've not had a huge amount of time to play with them yet, will report back when I've had more time to do so.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice set! Now i want a screw cup with delrin rims ... damn!
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, this is NOT criticism of Jim New, his products and service is second to none!

But — I have several Jim New pieces, S5S, S5M, 14A4 and Grant! I like the feel on the chops, but I can't really get them to scream! It feels like they all are holding back! The sound is too kind and won't give me the edge I want for lead and section playing! Reminds a lot of the Danish Elsberg pieces … beautiful sound, but no edge!

Anyone else noticed this? Any recommendations?
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzalez wrote:
First, this is NOT criticism of Jim New, his products and service is second to none!

But — I have several Jim New pieces, S5S, S5M, 14A4 and Grant! I like the feel on the chops, but I can't really get them to scream! It feels like they all are holding back! The sound is too kind and won't give me the edge I want for lead and section playing! Reminds a lot of the Danish Elsberg pieces … beautiful sound, but no edge!

Which backbore are you using. Sometimes, a tighter backbore shape can help make all the difference.
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Gonzalez wrote:

Which backbore are you using. Sometimes, a tighter backbore shape can help make all the difference.

Not sure, but I asked for the Sandoval-set up on the S5S/M, and Grant and 14A4 is stock
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know what the Sandoval set up is, but Arturo doesn't have the brightest sound. If you like the feel of the top, I'd try a tighter, more commercial backbore set up.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Well, I don't know what the Sandoval set up is, but Arturo doesn't have the brightest sound. If you like the feel of the top, I'd try a tighter, more commercial backbore set up.

The Sandoval set-up would have Jim New's S backbore.

According to Jim New:

The S backbore is a Bach 10 backbore, same shape as the Kanstul backbore which was copy of a Bach 10. The only difference is that the tool is inserted deeper in the material than what most Bach 10’s are. This leaves a shorter throat cylinder and gives it a richer fuller sound quality. Back when Vincent Bach was alive he would often experiment with backbore depths. The mouthpiece Arturo owns and plays is one that has the backbore inserted deeper.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read, Jims mouthpieces are cut with Warburton threads. I'm not 100% sure of that. If that is the case, getting a brighter backbore Fromm Warburton, or somebody else with similar threads should be an easy way to adjust the sound quality and maybe get the "edge" you are looking for.

A Schilke "A" backbore, or Warburton 4ish, or a Q or NY, or Reeves 69 might all be better options.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong!!
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have s4M and MS and yes, they are no screamin' pieces. With C or L backbore you can have a more crisp/sharp tone but i believe those pieces are not for the screaming player, they have a BIG and overall rich sound. You can play lead on them but not with the "qualities" that often are associated to lead playing. I like it much better than screaming pieces that, by the way, i've never been able to play with success and/or nice sound.
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
From what I read, Jims mouthpieces are cut with Warburton threads. ...

Yes, confirmed. I have on my desk a Warburton top with his S backbore right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: