• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can you help identify this horn?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Can you help identify this horn? Reply with quote

So I was thinking about dipping my toes back in the water after many years away and the local winds shop has a friendly rental program. I narrowed my choices down to a Getzen 390 and a Besson (I believe a BE1000). I was going to go with the Getzen, but asked if I could check out the fancier horns just for fun. The owner set me loose with a room full of cases.

I pulled this small case out and he apparently forgot he had the horn I grabbed, so was willing to rent it despite it seeming a step up from a student model.

The horn is a Sterling Concert Model. All I can find online is that it's a British company - its website is being overhauled and has no product information. The horn has some upscale-looking features like faceted valve buttons, a water slide as opposed to key, etc. On top of that the horn appears to be gold plated (the store owner said it was, too). It seems to play very nicely and a teacher in the shop played it for me as well. It sounds very nice.

Mostly I'm just curious; any information about Sterling instruments would be helpful. I have posted a couple of photos. The logo picture is a little blurry but hopefully it gives you an idea of the font (it says "Sterling Concert Model").

p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other people will chip in I'm sure, but I think a Jinbao stencil horn.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Weril valve block and serial # engraving to me.
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there was a Sterling made in the UK by my research, and also a Selmer-Sterling, but those latter had Selmer engraved as well as Sterling. Some say that the UK Sterling was a high intermediate level horn. However, I think they are playing you about the gold plating. I don't know why anyone would gold plate an intermediate horn. It should be pretty easy for a tech to tell you whether it is lacquered or gold plated. The photos look lacquered to me, but photos can be deceptive.

If the rental price is reasonable, you might rent it for a few months. I wouldn't get into a long term contract until I knew more about what I wanted, and still would probably look to purchase something rather than rent long term.

A few months with a rental should tell you whether you want to continue.

Any decent music store should have somebody on staff who can tell a gold plated instrument from a lacquered one, and if they are aware it is probably lacquered and trying to pass it off as gold plate, that leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, no matter how reasonable the rental.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
BrentD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input so far. The rental is very reasonable and if I should change my mind I can turn it in or, if I upgrade to another horn, they apply my payments toward the new instrument.

I sent an email to the UK Sterling company and we'll see if they respond. It's three in the morning there so it'll be a while anyway.

More than one person in the shop said it looked plated, though I don't put it past a salesman with a staff to corroborate each other even if they shouldn't be doing so. I mainly was hoping to avoid a trap horn and the reasonable rental/trade out option may protect me here. I'd be a little ticked if it weren't a high-quality horn, mostly because I feel strongly that the Getzen is even as a student model.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK what the rental rates are there, but an Olds Ambassador, a nice beginners horn, is available for $60 to $150. I got one out of a local pawn shop where it had sat for a while (they had two) for $60 a while back. It needs a little de-denting and maybe I'll try a new leadpipe on it or make it into a Frankenhorn with sheet bracing...haven't decided yet.

There are also lots of craigslist King 609's and Bach TR300s and other starter horns. Esp. in the summer before school starts in August/September. Then the prices goes up.

But my point is that these are very nice beginner's horns for cheap and you can get your money back if you decide to chuck it. So I wouldn't be stuck in the rental trap any longer than it took me do decide whether I wanted to play or give up. You should probably be able to decide that in the first month. Good luck!
BrentD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
[] I wouldn't be stuck in the rental trap any longer than it took me do decide whether I wanted to play or give up. You should probably be able to decide that in the first month. Good luck!

That's the idea! I figure if I schedule a lesson or two and do some daily work I'll figure out whether I want to continue pursuing and, if so, how strongly.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
Looks like a Weril valve block and serial # engraving to me.

I will bow to Trent's superior knowledge here - there is a Stirling Brand floating around Australia at the moment that is Chinese, so thought of that, but realise it's different spelling....sneaky....

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
...there was a Sterling made in the UK...

Not sure if this is the same company,
but over the years I've serviced quite a couple of "Sterling" branded euphoniums distributed by John Packer London and I was generally underwhelmed with the quality of the instruments (poor plating, solder joints and valves). Rather expensive too for what was being offered. In this class Jupiter does a far better job for less money.

Again, I'm talking about Euphoniums and your instrument may come from a completely different source; I've never come across a Sterling trumpet.
BrentD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I talked to a place that had this horn (it was purchased by my local shop in a liquidation from a place a few hours away when they switched to only selling tubas and euphonia). They said it was a student horn likely given as a sample piece by the manufacturer, not plated, and is probably 15 years old. They referred me to Paul Riggett as the manufacturer.

It feels like a nice enough horn but I have a bit of a bad taste from the deal. Although I can switch out at no cost, I still feel like I should have taken the Getzen 390 to begin with.

Thanks for all of your input.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentD wrote:
It feels like a nice enough horn but I have a bit of a bad taste from the deal. Although I can switch out at no cost, I still feel like I should have taken the Getzen 390 to begin with.

The Getzen is a very good student instrument.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brent,

I forgot to mention in my post that "Concert Model" sounds like a fake or stencil name, not a pro horn designation.

I did note that it was unlikely that the horn was gold plated and that your seller "knew or should have known" that. You were warned, but you're not the first to be tempted by a shiny new horn. If it seems too good to be true, it is.

I would either keep it or switch to the Getzen or whatever if the other plays better. Then I would give it a month to decide what I might like to do. If you decide to stay with it, there are lots of good options for used pro level horns or good starter horns (such as the Ambassador) from $100 to $700.

If I were you, when I took the rental back I would let the folks in the store know that you feel you were lied to and had...and that they have just lost your business from now on. In most towns, there's more than one music store. You might also consider a letter to the BBB.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that you're embarking on an exciting venture, learning to play the trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn/bass trumpet/alto horn. Lots of fun, lots of possibilities. Yea! Go for it! Hope you like it.
BrentD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I wasn't warned as I already had the horn by the time I first posted. I asked the guy about it today and we had a chat. I think he really thinks it's plated and since he's cool about switching out I won't be a turd.

Mostly I just wanted to figure out what I had. For the money, I'll probably switch horns if I'm going to stick with it. I'm a comeback guy but I play a few other instruments and there's only so much time in the day.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading back over your thread, the wording doesn't make it clear to me that you already got the horn and then asked for advice about it...hence my remark. But glad it is working out and I apologize if I jumped to a conclusion.

As you'll probably learn if you become a horn freak like me, gold plated horns are few and far between and they tend to look very special with other custom touches. I have two. One is pretty obviously a custom horn with a copper bell and leadpipe and silver and gold accents and it's also a C trumpet, which is often a more expensive horn. The other is an antique from 1928 and it is engraved all over the bell, inside and out, all the way back to the bell bow. Obviously a special horn. Also, plate just looks different from lacquer. Lacquer is a coating and you can see that it has some thickness to it. It's a subtle difference, but it's there. A plated horn looks like a front surface mirror.

But the important thing is you'll be able to get the horn you want from the store and then go on to something of your choosing if you decide to continue.

A friend of mine once remarked as we headed into our fifties that we tended to suffer fools less gladly. If I were in your situation and the store knew as little about their merchandise as you describe and actually tread on the border of fraud in describing the horn, I would walk out of there and never go back. There are plenty of places to get trumpets which will not waste my time.

I've taken a number of baths in my life for tens, hundreds and even thousands of dollars. Tomorrow I'll start interviewing people to fix a septic system into which I have already sunk $5K because I trusted the wrong people. Luckily I have a list of at least 50 firms to contact and the one with the most intelligent, no nonsense approach will get the job. I'm going to listen for all of thirty seconds to anyone who doesn't make sense. And I may sue the folks who've taken my money already.

The vast majority of the players and merchants and techs you'll find on here are great people and very professional, so there isn't any need to deal with the local band store that is trying to make a killing off kids, sells at a high list price and has staff that don't know their instruments.

I just wish that I'd known as much about septic systems as trumpets when that whole odyssey started....LOL. I'll get off the soap box and crawl back in my hole now...
BrentD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! Note: I may have been a bit ambiguous about having already bought it because I didn't want to out any info if I were to immediately return it.

I don't have a lot of experience with horns, so obviously I'm at a disadvantage. The horn has some features of a nicer "pro" horn and some features of a student horn. From my very limited experience, it certainly doesn't look like it's lacquered (mostly because of its very uniform color). But it doesn't make sense that a sub-$1000 horn would get the same treatment as $5k+ horn, and if it were plated then every guy to have had his hands on it would have vouched for it. At least one - my understanding the original retailer - did not.

In any case I knew I'd be out $30 for one month's rental at most, so it was worth the gamble. I'm certainly learning a lot!
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased an early 80's Holton Collegiate for $32. Silver plated and in good shape. Deals are there to be had. Rentals suck!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a Weril. I once bought a Weril cornet that had Sterling engraved on it when it came out of the box. No idea what the connection is or why though.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentD wrote:
No worries! Note: I may have been a bit ambiguous about having already bought it because I didn't want to out any info if I were to immediately return it. :wink:

I don't have a lot of experience with horns, so obviously I'm at a disadvantage. The horn has some features of a nicer "pro" horn and some features of a student horn. From my very limited experience, it certainly doesn't look like it's lacquered (mostly because of its very uniform color). But it doesn't make sense that a sub-$1000 horn would get the same treatment as $5k+ horn, and if it were plated then every guy to have had his hands on it would have vouched for it. At least one - my understanding the original retailer - did not.

In any case I knew I'd be out $30 for one month's rental at most, so it was worth the gamble. I'm certainly learning a lot!

OK, so here's my guess: DEG, right in your backyard in Wisconsin!

They have a Dynasty line of marching instruments, and your trumpet looks very much like one of them. They play well, and you can't kill 'em, even on the field. Ask them if it's one of their stencils, they are very nice people to deal with.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
BrentD wrote:
No worries! Note: I may have been a bit ambiguous about having already bought it because I didn't want to out any info if I were to immediately return it.

OK, so here's my guess: DEG, right in your backyard in Wisconsin!

They have a Dynasty line of marching instruments, and your trumpet looks very much like one of them. They play well, and you can't kill 'em, even on the field. Ask them if it's one of their stencils, they are very nice people to deal with.
-Lionel

Dynasty percussion. I don't think DEG has made brass instruments for a number of years.

Kent
BrentD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After your help and some image searching, I'm fairly certain it's a Weril Excalibur in gold brass. Don't know if it's an E971 or an E972, but close enough for me.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: