• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone Tried Reversed Leadpipe Strads?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebus9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Anyone Tried Reversed Leadpipe Strads? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the reversed leadpipe model Bach Strads? I'm looking for opinions, especially from those who've played both the reversed and standard setups.

I'm playing my Xeno exclusively now, but still want to send in my tired but much-beloved Bach 43 for blueprinting and re-silvering. One of the things I love about the Xeno is the smooth blow. Operative word, "smooth". It feels slightly tigher than my Bach even though both are .459. In spite of the tighter feel, air seems to glide through the horn like silk over Teflon.

With 34 years of use on the Bach, I've been told to expect the leadpipe probably needs replaced. If the leadpipe does have to be replaced, I'm toying with the idea of taking the opportunity to convert it to a reversed setup under the bold assumption it might give the Bach a more Xeno-like smoothness.

Opinions?

_
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned both a standard and reverse leadpipe Bach strad.
Standard leadpipe = compact trumpet core tone, best accuracy
Reverse leadpipe = broader sound, looser slots, almost a too large feel

That has been my experience and your mileage may vary.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rebus9

I'd like to please first refer to a post you made on another thread:

rebus9 wrote:

I played on a Yamaha in the 80s that I hated. (borrowed from a friend)

I played on a Yamaha in the 90s that I also hated. (borrowed from another friend)

A 3rd friend (are you seeing a trend?) raved about his Yamaha, saying it was the best trumpet he'd ever played. Based on prior experience, I had serious doubts, and for about a year I rebuffed his repeated attempts to get me to try the horn. I just wasn't interested.

One day I gave in, just to get it over with. And you know what? I didn't want to give it back. He wasn't going to be using it the following week, and said to hang onto it. At the end of the week, I'd already placed a call to Quinn the Eskimo to get one for myself.

The model? Reversed leadpipe Yamaha Xeno. I've had mine 4 months now, and every time I play it, I love it even more.

I've play-tested many horns in the past 35 years, and the Xeno with reversed leadpipe is the ONLY one that was able to separate me from my beloved Bach 43. The 43 has been sitting in the case ever since.

I believe that it may be prudent to ascertain whether it is reversed leadpipes you like, reversed leadpipes on Yamaha trumpets, or just more modern Yamaha trumpets. I haven't re-read all your old posts, I just searched for the one above, but I have a feeling that your colleague's Xeno which you really liked, was a Xeno I whereas yours is a Xeno II. I'm not particularly au fait with the introduction dates of the Yamaha models, but if I understand Alfafreak's chart, the Xeno I was in production from 2001-2013. I feel that it may be worth you trying some more modern Yamaha trumpets in a standard configuration first, to ascertain whether it is definitely the reversed leadpipe you like, rather than other aspects of more modern Yamaha trumpets.

Come to think of it, it would make much more sense to try a Bach LR 180-43 Stradivarius Bb-trumpet. However as you probably already know, these are described as follows (from BachLoyalist.com):

The Bach LR180S Stradivarius Professional Bb Trumpet Series offers a trumpet with a lightweight body, standard weight #37, #43 or #72 bell and reversed lead pipe. This construction offers the quick response of a lightweight model with less resistance from the reverse leadpipe and the projection of a standard weight bell. These Bach Strad Trumpets will give a player a more open feel and response.

Since your trumpet is presumably a standard weight model, it is never going to be exactly the same, but it will give you an idea.

My honest advice would be not to irreversibly change anything about your much loved Bach 43 which doesn't need to be done.

I don't suppose that a reversed leadpipe could be mounted alongside yours temporarily so that you could try both a reversed and standard leadpipe set-up directly, owing to the very fact that it would be a reversed leadpipe.

Anyway to get to my point, you like your Bach as it is, you have your Xeno with all the playing characteristics you like, you may or may not like your Bach better with a reversed leadpipe. In my opinion it is a too risky venture. Even blueprinting in my opinion is risky with a much loved trumpet. Maybe something about it being out of spec is giving you what you love about it.

I personally would do as little as possible to preserve for the future just as it is.

I fully appreciate that I am thinking about doing things to my Bach 37, but less drastic things and only because I feel that it is not playing as well as it should be.

I hope that this helps.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
rebus9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lou,

It is a risk, for sure. Before the Xeno, I never would have considered making changes to what I (and everyone else whose played it) deemed a "charmed" horn. Why the change of heart now? I no longer see the Bach as charmed because it plays so poorly compared to the Xeno.

Because the Xeno plays SO much better, there's no reason I would play the Bach again unless my Xeno wasn't available-- stolen, being repaired, etc. I thought about using it for "straight" music given Bach's heritage, but even that wouldn't be a reason anymore. That makes me sad, because my Bach's been with me for every major event in my life for the past 34 years, so its sentimental value is high. If the Bach can be made to play more on par with the Xeno, then I would play it on occasion-- like getting together with an old friend. As it stands now, whenever I take the Bach out to play on it, I immediately want to put it away and reach for the Xeno.

I'm inclined to believe what roynj said about feeling "almost too large". Currently it blows more freely than the Xeno, so perhaps the reversed setup might take away what little resistance it has. (a bad thing for me)

So I suppose I'll start with just the blueprinting and re-plating. With any luck, the blueprinting will improve its playing characteristics enough that I'll want to spend time with my old friend again.

_
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I compared an early 1980s Bach Strad 25/37 (which I owned) with an early 2000s reverse leadpipe Bach Strad 25/37.

I found the differences to be relatively minor. The reverse leadpipe horn played more freely, the slots were slightly looser, and the sound was (maybe) a tiny bit broader.

You mentioned having your Bach "blueprinted", so presumably that means you are sending it to Osmun Music. I'd suggest sending Jim Becker an e-mail asking about the possibility of reversing the leadpipe. I believe it is a significant, and expensive, alteration. You might be better off selling your Bach and then looking for a used LR Bach or some other horn with a set up that works better for you.

Good luck!
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not been replaced, there could be a lot of wear on a 34 year old receiver. Just having it refit or replaced along with all of the pads and corks could make a world of difference. You can probably audition an lr37 through Dillon or Thompson.
rebus9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I did go with a reversed setup, the sentimental value exceeds the cost to retrofit, so I would stick with this horn rather than replace it. The sole motivation for considering the mod was to give me a reason to play my old friend on occasion. I'm not looking for a second axe to play regularly.

As it was told to me, the concern about a 34 year old leadpipe is rot on the inside-- which I can understand because it's had thousands of hours of acidic saliva blown through it. This is the first time I've heard about receiver wear also being a concern.

Nonetheless, it's going to get a pretty good looking-over at the clinic. My only hope is when it comes home, I'll love the way it plays. (but I'm keeping my expectations in check)

_
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebus9 wrote:
Hi Lou,

It is a risk, for sure. Before the Xeno, I never would have considered making changes to what I (and everyone else whose played it) deemed a "charmed" horn. Why the change of heart now? I no longer see the Bach as charmed because it plays so poorly compared to the Xeno.

Because the Xeno plays SO much better, there's no reason I would play the Bach again unless my Xeno wasn't available-- stolen, being repaired, etc. I thought about using it for "straight" music given Bach's heritage, but even that wouldn't be a reason anymore. That makes me sad, because my Bach's been with me for every major event in my life for the past 34 years, so its sentimental value is high. If the Bach can be made to play more on par with the Xeno, then I would play it on occasion-- like getting together with an old friend. As it stands now, whenever I take the Bach out to play on it, I immediately want to put it away and reach for the Xeno.

Hi rebus9

I fully understand what you say. However rather than with my Bach, which had started to have a few problems and play less well, which is the very reason why I bought my Xeno, if I understand correctly, you bought your Xeno because it was a horn that you tried that you like better than your Bach. Your Bach is probably still the "charmed horn" you and others felt that it was. I like my Xeno very much, but have always liked my Bach very much. I'm wondering whether if I sorted out a few things with my Bach, I would like it more than my new Xeno. If I was in your situation and my Bach was playing as well as ever, I personally would retire my Bach to the closet as a spare trumpet and old friend I keep for sentimental reasons. I've done the very same with my Bach 184ML cornet. It is a great cornet, the one I learned on, and I have done some of my best playing on that cornet. It however doesn't suit the sound concept of my new brass band as much as my Xeno cornet, so is retired for now. However, you need to do what is right for you, and now you have a trumpet that you like better, maybe you will never like the playability of your Bach again. On the rare occasions on which I get my Bach 184ML out, I still love it as much as ever. It is my old best friend, and my Xeno cornet is my new.

I'm inclined to believe what roynj said about feeling "almost too large". Currently it blows more freely than the Xeno, so perhaps the reversed setup might take away what little resistance it has. (a bad thing for me)

This may very well be the case. This may be just my experience but whereas reversed leadpipe model Yamaha trumpets seem reasonably popular in my neck of the woods, especially the YTR-8335RGS version of the Xeno I, I've never seen a reversed leadpipe Bach, only standard weight 37s and 43s and lightweight 72s. I'm not sure whether it is anything to do with the LR180 Bachs having a lightweight body and standard weight bell, and this being less popular, or that it is the reversed leadpipe itself which is less popular on a Bach trumpet. Maybe it is just availability and what players have historically played.

So I suppose I'll start with just the blueprinting and re-plating. With any luck, the blueprinting will improve its playing characteristics enough that I'll want to spend time with my old friend again.

Sounds pretty reasonable. Regarding the possibility of your trumpet having red rot, if there are no visible signs of it on the outside, I wouldn't presume that it has red rot, especially if you swab out the leadpipe and tuning slide each time you play, which I'd recommend if you are not doing this already.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Strad was a reverse 25 leadpipe and 72 bell. For me it played and sounded very flugelhorn-like but with some effort could light up. Loved that horn until it got stolen. For two years I looked for a replacement and couldn't find one I liked, curiously I found that really didn't like any of the LR constructed horns. I eventually wound up with a horn that is the polar opposite, a standard 43 pipe with a lightweight 43 bell. This particular horn just responded for me so much better than most any other.

In my case I had to abandon my initial preference for the reverse pipe setup in order move ahead. Though I'm a bit of a tech nerd, I do think there's value in just closing your eyes and trying stuff.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
rebus9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Sounds pretty reasonable. Regarding the possibility of your trumpet having red rot, if there are no visible signs of it on the outside, I wouldn't presume that it has red rot, especially if you swab out the leadpipe and tuning slide each time you play, which I'd recommend if you are not doing this already.

I used to disassemble the horn and snake it out weekly with shampoo and water, grease the slides, polish it nice and shiny. Then it was monthly. Then it was occasionally when I had the time (or remembered) to do it. Now, I can't even remember if I've done it in the past decade. I'm almost afraid to know what must be growing inside.

The lining of barnacles coating the inside surfaces might be the only thing keeping it from leaking. Part of me wonders if pinhole leaks will break through thin spots in the tubing, if I scrub out the "protective" layer of crud.

_
Miketpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach's reverse pipe design requires the front bell brace to be close to the valve casing, resulting in a less focused sound that tends to spread. Malone's design keeps the brace more forward, away from the valve casing.

Mike
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebus9 wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

I used to disassemble the horn and snake it out weekly with shampoo and water, grease the slides, polish it nice and shiny. Then it was monthly. Then it was occasionally when I had the time (or remembered) to do it. Now, I can't even remember if I've done it in the past decade. I'm almost afraid to know what must be growing inside.

The lining of barnacles coating the inside surfaces might be the only thing keeping it from leaking. Part of me wonders if pinhole leaks will break through thin spots in the tubing, if I scrub out the "protective" layer of crud.

Hi rebus9

I know what you mean. There are v. small pin hole spots in the silver plating of the leadpipe of my Bach cornet, which I guess are red rot. This is the one instrument which I simply cannot get a swab through and I wasn't always conscientious enough with its monthly bath, especially during a very bad spell I had, and it has had loads of use at brass band fetes, where I have had ice cream and cake between sets.

I'm very good now, since getting my Xeno cornet. I bought it used from a reputable retailer who missed what I think may be a couple of spots of red rot on the tuning slide. They were very good about it when I notified them and offered me either a refund or a two year indemnity that if it got any worse and occurred also in the leadpipe, that they would replace both free of charge and refinish my cornet. I asked for three years instead and went with this offer, figuring that with my limited budget, I could buy one used from Ebay or another retailer and not having a bore scope at home to thoroughly check the leadpipe and tuning slide, I could have the same thing happen within three years of ownership even if it initially looked ok. Two years later after swabbing out every time I play, it has got no worse, so the risk probably paid off.

Hopefully you will get lucky and your leadpipe and tuning slide will be ok.

Take Care

Lou

_

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: