• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Capri C trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that is interesting. I’ll see my trumpet tech in a few days anyway so I’ll talk to him as well and see what happens.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
... Eterna C came in both ML and L bore. If it wasn't marked then it was the ML model.

Since this post has migrated towards the Eterna C, a regular section mate has a well worn Eterna C (SK13XXX) with no bore marking, which by this info would make it a ML version. I played it for a pretty good while a few years ago. It was a great playing horn, wonderful sound and blend! I liked it at least as much as my own Bach CL229/25A. He is VERY attached to that horn! His is the only example I have ever seen.

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Getzen Capri C Reply with quote

They must have been OK as Armand Ghitalla played one for years.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Getzen Capri C trumpet all throughout college.

Incredible horn.

I now play on a Large Bore Severinsen Eterna C trumpet. Super super rare horn, and because I was a poor college student, I had a sell-off my Capri for the Eterna when I had the chance to buy.

But I'll tell ya, the Capri C horn is about 95% the horn that the Eterna LB SK is. Even today I would still prefer the Capri if I was playing chamber or quintet work. The Eterna has more power but the Capri is somewhat smoother and more delicate.

If you find a Capri C under $1000 I would be all over it.
Bach 183 Flugelhorn
Bach LB 229 Eb/D Long Bell
Bach 184 Cornet
Kanstul 920
Trumpet Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Armando Ghitalla Reply with quote

Mr. Scodwell or anyone else who knows...
Did Armando Ghitalla play a Capri C or an Eterna C?
Wondering,
Phil the Trumpet Seeker
Selmer Radial B-flat in lacquer
Selmer Radial B-Flat silver and gold
Couesnon convertible 1951
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: 1977 Getzen Catalog: Capri Standard Symphony C Trumpet Reply with quote

Since this thread has included the request for information, I figured this would be a useful document to post.

Below is a link to a pdf file of the 1977 Getzen and Meinl-Weston Catalog with info on the Capri C trumpet (among other brass instruments). The full name is the Capri Standard Symphony C Trumpet and the model number is 590CS for the silver plated and 590C for the lacquered brass. I received this catalog from Mary Rima at Getzen. Emailed it to me as a response to my question about the age of my Capri C.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jZNZ-fb4SJySrjmotnovo1DUortp5vXb/view?usp=sharing

On a separate note: Sadly, I'm selling the Capri because it's so different to switch to from my Bach Omega. I've transposed most of my adult life at church so I don't really need to go through the extra work of playing the Getzen C. Maybe if I had a Bach C, that would not be the case; but I'm skeptical (and it's beyond my budget). Now that I have basically a 99% Strad, playing in keys other than C, F, and G is a pleasant experience.

Hopefully, though, the catalog has information that is useful for the C and the other instruments in it.
—Yamaha YTS-354 trombone
—King 627 “baritonium”
—Akai EWI 5000
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Getzen catalog - gosh they made a .468 bore C trumpet.
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a 1988 Capri C trumpet (serial A54xxx). It's not in great shape cosmetically but seems to play just fine. It's the first C trumpet I've ever played or owned, so my $.02 may be worth less than that.

After a few days playing it the intonation seems good. I don't have the best ear but I'm not noticing anything of concern. In terms of open/stuffy blow I'd put it easily on the open side, probably more open than my Getzen 900DLX. Soundwise I have no idea how it might blend with the Bach/Yamaha crowd. Not something I'm likely to ever have to worry about.

I have a pdf from the 1983 Getzen catalog (courtesy Mary Rima) that shows the 590 Capri C trumpet with a 1st slide saddle as standard. Mine, from '88, has a 1st slide trigger. Available in lacquer or silverplate.

Seems like a great, relatively inexpensive option for a C trumpet for someone like me.
ACB Doublers flugel
Olds Recording trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: