• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Water key question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptPat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Water key question Reply with quote

I have a Bach Strad and the water key retaining screw backs out of the threads in the support leg. I first noticed this when the screw had backed out completely from one of the support legs, a bit more and the spring and lever would have detached. Since then I routinely check that the screw is fully seated, it still will back out over time if not attended to. Is this normal for this type of water key? Is there any benefit to adding a bit of blue Loctite for peace of mind?
gord-o
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's different. Usually those screws are frozen in place on a Strad and it's difficult to get them out. Usually when a screw is working itself loose it's because the screw is bent slightly or the waterkey itself isn't round. That could happen if the tuning slide was dropped and it hit the floor right on the waterkey, which would make the tube of the waterkey slightly oval in that spot and possibly bend the screw. I'm just speculating here. The fix involves taking the waterkey off, checking that it's round and straight inside, probably replacing the screw and spring and cork. Not too expensive really. The Loctite fix wouldn't hurt to try if you don't have a local shop that can do the fix. Hopefully this helps!
CaptPat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the situation was odd as never had an issue with other trumpets I've owned. The instrument was new when I got it, neither the instrument nor the slide had been dropped. I'll take a look to see if there might be some misalignment.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unusual thing.. I'd put some clear fingernail polish on the nut or threads, then the next time I was near a good repair tech have them take a look.
I'm also thinking that it's a sign of something being bent, threads stripped, or broken.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is that there are people who state that loosening that screw slightly has a positive effect on the instrument. Locktite blue, which is what I would use, or nail polish might reduce the effect. I used locktite blue on my high school aged son’s Bach to retain the third valve retaining nuts.

I personally didn’t find any difference playing with the water key, but a one well respected tech posted about this.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a socket wrench for Bach waterkey screws. I think it's 1/8", haven't looked at the size in a long time.

I'd caution you against taking it apart as the spring has a heavy tension and is not easy to reassemble. Typically, when I service these keys, it's a new spring and cork that are installed.

Oil on the screw is a good idea and light tension when tightening. You might play with the tension a bit and see how the sound changes - it does.

Good Luck!
https://yourbrass.com/
CaptPat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screw looks okay, but the spring looks a bit funky, the coil on one side is doubled onto itself and the leg on that side seems shorter than the other side. I ordered both and may try to replace them. I've never used a wrench or ratchet on a water key screw before, not convinced this is the time to start. In the meantime, a little oil on the screw and I check that the screw is finger-tight before every session.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the spring will be a challenge - they have a very stiff tension, and then should be bent around the bridge legs and cut. I don't recommend it as a self-service thing.

What you could do more easily is change the cork. That alone will make a difference and you won't have to disassemble the key.
CaptPat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a careful examination the spring seems okay. No sure why changing the cork will help, the current one seals just fine.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptPat wrote:
On a careful examination the spring seems okay. No sure why changing the cork will help, the current one seals just fine.

I’m not sure that YourBrass understood your issue is with the screw loosening over time when used. Hence the advice to oil the screw and check the cork.

If I misinterpreted his posts hopefully he will explain his reasoning. I know him and trust his advice.

I would just back the screw out enough to put a smidgen of blue locktite on the end, screw it in fully and call it a day.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptPat wrote:

The horn plays better with a new cork that has a light seating. Bach springs are very stiff and within a year or two, the cork has a deep seat which isn't optimal in terms of perforrmance. I change them on most Bachs coming in for service.

It may sound weird but it took a long time to figure this optimum out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: