• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DEG Signature Piccolo Owners

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: DEG Signature picc Reply with quote

Joel Payne wrote:
Yes, my Bb pipe looks the same as yours.
My A pipe looks identical in design to my Bb pipe, just longer.

I would love to clone your A pipe. I’m still using only a Bb pipe, and I pull it way out for A.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice seeing this thread resurrected.

This past Sunday, I broke out my DEG 4-valve tunable bell picc at the church where I'm music director. We have a new organist, and this was our first opportunity to do some baroque trumpet and organ works. It's a really fine little horn.

When I purchased this instrument recently from Dillon Music, it came with a trumpet-shank A pipe which looks like those pictured above. The Bb shank was a tiny raw brass, cornet-shanked tuning bit, and I've since gravitated towards trumpet-shanked Blackburn pipes for both 'sides' of the horn. It's interesting to note that your Blackburn A pipe has "G" (Getzen?) on it. When I ordered my lead pipes from them (Pickett/Blackburn) they were specified for DEG (also their P4 pipe, as yours) however they were not a correct fit for my horn. I sent them back with the original A pipe, which they measured against, before perfectly turning-down both pipes for an excellent fit.

Tony Scodwell, the master trumpet player and designer, who developed this piccolo for DEG, regularly comments on these forms, so he may have something to say about the pipes your horn came with, as well as the possible measurement issue I experienced with the aftermarket pipes.

Interested to hear more about others' experiences with these great piccs!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: DEG Signature picc Reply with quote

Lawler Bb wrote:
Joel Payne wrote:

I would love to clone your A pipe. I’m still using only a Bb pipe, and I pull it way out for A.

Hi Eric -

I do recommend the Blackburn lead pipes, though I'm also certain that those made by Osmun are fantastic, however, if you are in the market for an original DEG Piccolo A pipe, I do have one that is currently sitting in the case...

-DB
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the A and Bb pipes that came with my 3-valve DEG. A trumpet mouthpiece fits correctly in the A pipe (that is, it inserts the same distance as on my other trumpets) but a trumpet mouthpiece in the Bb pipe inserts about a quarter inch shorter (just like in a photo someone else posted earlier).

I like Blackburn pipes with my Selmer and will have to see about getting one for this DEG. I only use the A pipe myself.

Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: DEG Signature picc Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
Lawler Bb wrote:
Joel Payne wrote:

Hi Eric -

I do recommend the Blackburn lead pipes, though I'm also certain that those made by Osmun are fantastic, however, if you are in the market for an original DEG Piccolo A pipe, I do have one that is currently sitting in the case...

-DB

PM sent.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found one of these for a great price down under and had it worked on to bring it back into full playing condition. these really are ridiculously good instruments. Someone should make a good copy as it takes out most of the competition! The even feel up and down is something else. It just lacks that something in the sound which a Scherzer or Thein has (in vastly different ways) but this is something no listener is going to hear.

Very happy to have added it to the arsenal!

cheers

Andy
ShawnMAnderson

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those needing original pics and specs etc, I was fortunate to pick up a mint 4-valve, tunable bell in silver with both original A and Bb and small combo lock case. I'm not selling, but can take pictures when or if still needed.

I also have/had what is likely the largest working collection from this series and publications. I just started a Facebook Group for owners of this series and am adding documents and images: Signature 2000 Custom Series Trumpets etc...

Happy to help where I can, but haven't seen a convenient way to add images in this forum nor how to keep them from being removed years later.

I've since started trying Tony's ScodwellUSA line. His Standard horns are, technically not a 'Las Vegas' he clarified; but for whatever we call them the custom SN 0297 is the best of over 30 mostly pro horns I've owned. I have his Boston arriving tomorrow based on that experience. It will be interesting to see what difference I can detect.

Shawn 803.479.0585
shawnmanderson@live.com
5 x C Strad's 229/239/236G/ C Spada
1 x Kanstul 1600S
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!

Thanks for starting up the page. I owned a DEG four valve picc for many years, and have played a long bell Eb (would love to get my hands on one of these again!), a cornet, and at least two versions of the flugelhorn. Looking forward to learning more.

One detail I’ve been curious about for a while are which models have Allied (Blessing) valves and which (like the picc…and perhaps one version of the flugel) have Bauerfiend.

Happy practicing!
-DB
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a picture of my leadpipes on the previous page. I did order a Bb leadpipe from Blackburn, and wound up returning it, even after sending in my Bb pipe to copy. It was too long and couldn't come up to pitch.

Also, I had my picc serviced by Osmun and Jim Becker noticed that the two Bb leadpipes were in fact different, in gap and venturi. He stamped them "1" and "2" so I could identify them.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: DEG Valves Reply with quote

Here's what I can tell you about the valves Don Getzen was using with the horns I was involved with.

The Bb, C, Eb and all the various cornets with "Signature 2000" stamped on the bells had valves made at Allied which was owned by Don's brother Bob. It was four miles up Highway H in Elkhorn, Wisconsin. Don's DEG business was technically in Lake Geneva, WI, a short drive. The four and three valve piccolos along with the flugelhorn stamped "Signature 2000" had valves made by Bauerfeind. Don was the N. American distributor for Willson who owned Bauerfeind at that time. All these horns were produced in low numbers and are worth seeking out, especially the piccolos and flugels. I had Pilzcuk pipes on my piccolo and a unique tunable pipe made by Larry Seaver, a master craftsman I knew from the earlier Getzen days. The stock pipes were OK but easy to improve on.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
MattB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: DEG Signature Piccolo Trumpet 2000 Series - searching B flat Reply with quote

Hello! What a great thread! I just purchased this horn in pristine condition and love it. I only have what I think is an original A lead pipe, and I’d like to purchase/find a B flat that will work with this horn. Can folks in the group make suggestion on where I could find one?

Also, is there a register of the serial numbers so I can tell when it was made? It’s a silver 4 valve piccolo - it looks brand new, and even has the original case with a DEG label - tho it was held together by a bungee cord because the combination lock was broken.

It plays like a regular horn - but with a bright sound in the upper register- super fun to play.

Thanks for any help you can give. Matt
Bach C GL - 1941
DEG Signature Piccolo 2000 Series B flat/A
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: DEG Signature Piccolo Trumpet 2000 Series - searching B Reply with quote

MattB wrote:
Hello! What a great thread! I just purchased this horn in pristine condition and love it. I only have what I think is an original A lead pipe, and I’d like to purchase/find a B flat that will work with this horn. Can folks in the group make suggestion on where I could find one?

Also, is there a register of the serial numbers so I can tell when it was made? It’s a silver 4 valve piccolo - it looks brand new, and even has the original case with a DEG label - tho it was held together by a bungee cord because the combination lock was broken.

It plays like a regular horn - but with a bright sound in the upper register- super fun to play.

When I bought mine it came with Osmun pipes (Bb and A) - I'd imagine they can probably make you a new one if you reached out. I think I've also heard of Blackburn pipes for them but can't personally confirm.
MattB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DEG Signature Piccolo Trumpet 2000 Series - searching B Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
MattB wrote:

When I bought mine it came with Osmun pipes (Bb and A) - I'd imagine they can probably make you a new one if you reached out. I think I've also heard of Blackburn pipes for them but can't personally confirm.

Thank you! I’ll check them out.
Bach C GL - 1941
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post above regarding a Blackburn Bb pipe. I returned it (twice) because it was too long/flat.
Eric
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
MattB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
See my post above regarding a Blackburn Bb pipe. I returned it (twice) because it was too long/flat.
Eric

thanks - I sent an email to ask Osmin if they can fabricate one… haven’t heard back yet, but thanks so much for your feedback! Matt
Bach C GL - 1941
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: