• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton 602 Collegiate cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Holton 602 Collegiate cornet Reply with quote

Bought a Holton 602 collegiate cornet with amado water keys. Serial number 832664. Not able to find the year.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.holtonloyalist.com/serialnumbers.htm

This is the typical Holton serial number list. Obviously, your number is larger than the last one posted for 1980. So, newer than 1980.

You probably figured that out already.

If you want a more accurate date, you'd have to try to contact Conn-Selmer. Who knows if they even have records for that, still or whether they'll bother to check.

Another question is, why does it matter? While it's nice to know when your horn was made, many people use serial number list to determine age for more specific reasons. For example, Martin Committees built in 1939 through the war years (Martin Handcraft Committee) are different than the ones built in the 50's or 60's. Vintage Bachs built in the early years of the Elkhart production are different than the ones built in Mt. Vernon or New York or in the 1980's through the strike. Olds production moved from LA to Fullerton and at some point, the cornet receivers changed to the now standard shank, rather than the odd one the older horns had. These things matter a bit.

A Holton Collegiate cornet built after 1980 is essentially the same instrument from 1980 - and it's just a student line cornet. The specific vintage isn't particularly important.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Holton 602 cornet amado water keys Reply with quote

Actually I am more curious about the amado water keys on the cornet. Haven't seen any other Holton 602 with them.

Probably only a few years old, due to the excellent conditon of the horn.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Holton 602 cornet amado water keys Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
Actually I am more curious about the amado water keys on the cornet. Haven't seen any other Holton 602 with them.

Does your horn actually say "Collegiate" on it? If so, it's not that new because at some point, they just went with the model number sans "Collegiate." I don't remember exactly when that happened. Some of the Holtons in my school instrument inventory are just C602.

Amado water keys don't come on a Holton. Getzen? Sure. Holton, Conn, Selmer, Bach? Nope. It must be a after-market addition/modification.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Holt Rams Marching Band 1995 Washington DC trip Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Wonder why that added the amado water keys and not a 1st slide thumb hook?

On the Bell- Collegiate Holton and the symbol. On the receiver C 602

I found in the case a note about the Holt Rams Marching Band trip to Washington DC. When I looked at their website, stated they took the trip in 1995.
Joe Bowen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Holton 602 cornet amado water keys Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:

Does your horn actually say "Collegiate" on it? If so, it's not that new because at some point, they just went with the model number sans "Collegiate." I don't remember exactly when that happened. Some of the Holtons in my school instrument inventory are just C602.

Amado water keys don't come on a Holton. Getzen? Sure. Holton, Conn, Selmer, Bach? Nope. It must be a after-market addition/modification.

I know it’s an old post, but this info is not entirely true. I have Holton trumpets with both traditional water keys and some with Amado and they came that way straight from the factory. So yes, some Holtons came with Amado water keys. In fact, I have an example of a c602 cornet right here in my hands that have them.
Holton T-100x
Holton T-100xl
Holton T-650
Holton F-100
Holton C-602
Bach Strad 43
Conn 100b
Getzen 300 Herald
Blessing "Dizzy"
Gruskin Pocket Bb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: