• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Solo horn for fairs and carnivals outdoors?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinenut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Solo horn for fairs and carnivals outdoors? Reply with quote

I’m looking to get a horn that is well suited for non-reverberant outdoor spaces. It would be used at street fairs, in small town parades, and carnivals. The kind of music is mostly marches and fanfares. But it’s the only horn for now, not part of a brass section.

I thought I should try a soprano bugle. I’m working on getting ahold of three-valve Kanstul see if that will work. I know there’s a whole drum corps story, but this isn’t about a horn choir. It’s one horn. Transposing is not a problem. I understand the intonation is more challenging, but hopefully I can make it work. I know the soprano does great in a horn line, but not sure how it will work out on its own compared to the alternatives.

I’m also interested in some Bb trumpets that might be ideally suited. I see Kanstul has their Coliseum model with the big bore and bell and a CG3 mouthpiece. It looks like it is basically a Bb trumpet with the powerbore bugle bell. On the higher-end they’ve got the 1070. Aren’t these sort of like older Benge?

King 1117? I’m not just looking for loud. I don’t have to be heard over a big band. But I want the sound to go the distance outdoors with a full tone even when there is nothing to reflect it. I believe big bore, heavy-weight horns with a larger mouthpiece are the right path. Correct me if I’m mistaken.

I'm open to flugel, mello, cornet, marching french, and other horns too. I think the mid range carries well. I don't want to go so low that it's muddy like the background, but I don't need to cut through a whole section, just the ambient noise with a horn that sounds fat and solos well.

I need the horn by this weekend, but it's probably not going to happen. I definitely need to get it sorted out in the next couple weeks because of all the outdoor gigs coming up for the holidays.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two horns I've owned that worked really well outdoors are the Benge 3X MLP and the Benge Claude Gordon model. No doubt there are many others.

Good luck!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Thing

It was a designed to fill up the outdoors in a Dixieland Jazz ensemble without amplification.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO: May want to think cornet or trumpet with shepherd's crook bell. A typical outdoor issue for many players to to over-blow, which wears you out faster. the bell on a cornet or trumpet with a shepherd's crook bell are closer to your ear = more feedback of the sound = not as apt to blow too hard.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Wild Thing

It was a designed to fill up the outdoors in a Dixieland Jazz ensemble without amplification.

Beat me to it.

Brad
pinenut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I try a Flip Oakes Wild Thing?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinenut wrote:
Where can I try a Flip Oakes Wild Thing?

Where do you live? The nice thing about many 'Thing owners is that we tend to be enthusiastic about demonstrating our horns. I've had the pleasure of introducing maybe a dozen people to the Wild Thing trumpet and flugelhorn over the 6 or so years I've been a WT player. This Sunday, I'll be bringing them to the Phoenix Trumpet Hang at The Nash in downtown Phoenix. If you can make it, you can play my horns. The Hang runs from 2:00-4:00.

If you're from somewhere too far from the Sonoran Desert to make it this weekend, you can email Flip, tell him where you're from and that you'd like to sample a horn. He can perhaps find one of his customers who will let you try theirs.

flip@flipoakes.com

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: