• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lark M4012 Bb Trumpet info?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jkeith10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Lark M4012 Bb Trumpet info? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I've been looking around for a cheap horn to use for lacquer experimentation and I stumbled upon this Lark M4012. I've done a little bit of research and I think it's a Chinese made horn. But does anyone know any more details about this model? For example how old it is and whether it's any good? I'll try and attach some pictures if I can figure out how to.
Cheers,
Jordan

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gHMAAOSwYIxX3l7N/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5jEAAOSwNRdX3l7c/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KDcAAOSwLnBX3l9q/s-l1600.jpg
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would make for a cool lamp.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- It's Chinese.

- Age doesn't matter, because of that.

- Not all Chinese horns are junk, but a lot of Chinese-built that aren't affiliated with a maker (like Yamaha), or a store that designs, has input, and control over quality (like Austin Custom Brass or Dillon Music) is junk.

- Once you venture off the path of known companies or retailers, you're taking a chance that what you're getting is only lamp material.

- These "off, off" brand horns are a real iffy proposition. Unless you're paying something like $5-15, you're probably paying too much.

- Seriously. I don't know what the used market for horns is in Australia. You can get a utter piece of lamp material junk new on Ebay or wherever for $150 or something like that. Seems like a deal - until it literally falls apart in four month - like the valve stems snap off when you try to oil the valves and the braces just suddenly fall off. No one want to repair these junkers - for good reason.

- At least here, locally, I can find older American built horns for between $40-100, at least once a month. I stopped buying them, because I have too many. Bundys, Olds Ambassadors, Reynolds Medalists, Holtons, student Yamahas and Bach. These are real instruments, maybe not pretty (though sometimes they are) - at least as nice shape as the pictures you post. They have the added benefit of actually being able to make music for decades. Sink $80-100 for a clean and dent work and you'll be set for years. I fail to see how rolling the dice for unknown Chinese stuff is a better gamble, because if you roll badly, you get nothing - literally. It's totally worthless and goes in the trash - you might not be able to even hang it on the wall at the local restaurant because it's too flimsy.

- You mention you're into lacquer experimentation. You might need something that is more sturdy for that. Get an old Bundy.

- This sounds harsh, but these questions pop up all the time. I have students that bring in a "Simba" or "Selman" or "Cecelio" or something they got on Ebay or Amazon or Sam's Club or Walmart. It looks fine, but literally falls apart in months or weeks. The parents are like "We paid $150-200 for that, it was new, and you're telling me it's unusable and broken?" Well, bad news, it is. I really hate that people fall for this stuff on the internet and then think they're getting a deal.

- Well, it's your money, your project. Buy it, don't buy it, burn your money, make it rain, buy some coffee, buy a used Chinese trumpet, buy whatever, or don't. It's your deal.

Rant over...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Jkeith10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's my answer, thanks Crazyfin.
Wish I lived in the US. There's a crazy amount more for sale than here, but the shipping isn't ideal.
Thanks again.
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the current bid that is not too bad especially if you can pick it up locally instead of posting, suitable for experimenting with finishes.
From memory 30 years ago the Lark was fairly well made for a chinese student horn, probably one of the better "Bird" names, I had a "Parrot" which was not as well made.

Here in Aus we are at a disadvantage for instruments for purchasing instruments, a local dealer has a refinished Olds Ambassador for A$ 1500, I think it will be on his shelf foe a long time.

Regards, Stuart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: