• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rotator Cuff Surgery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Rotator Cuff Surgery Reply with quote

In another forum a few years ago, a trumpeter with the username “tptplayer” wrote:
Having been through a spinal fusion surgery as well as having rotator cuffs too badly damaged for surgery to be advisable (yes, too many second opinions concurred) I'm interested in finding out just how many of us have some rotator cuff or spinal problems that we suspect MIGHT be trumpet related. I have played for a living my entire life, playing trumpet sometimes 8 hours a day in studio sessions, many 3 hour rehearsals followed by concerts,etc. I have suspicions that there be correlations to holding the horn and injury, but no proof.
Any ideas/comments/thoughts?

I just got my MRI results and sure enough, I have a full tear of the rotator cuff as well as a bicep tear. I am scheduled for surgery one week from today and was told to expext to wait three months or so before resuming trumpet playing.

I would love to hear some experiences from members of the Reinhardt community out there who have gone through this procedure and its recovery process and what I need to prepare myself for. Thanks, everybody!
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through left shoulder rotator cuff surgery in February.
Mine was partially torn with arthritis developing and a tear in the bicep as well.
The surgery is not difficult, but be ready for not being able to hold the trumpet for at the very least 2 or 3 weeks. I did mouthpiece buzzing which did help and I was more comfortable holding the horn in the proper position after a month and a half.
You will have intensive therapy for rehab and you will be pretty surprised at the limited motion you will have for a few months.
You make your living playing professionally. I do not play in public much anymore meaning I lost no revenue.
Good luck to you. Do what the doctor and therapist tells you. As of this writing, I have virtually 100% movement in the shoulder and no discomfort but the strength is not where it once was. (Hell, at age 66 what is where it once was?).
The first few days are not really very fun and you won't feel like doing much at all.
Again, best of luck to you.
R.Tomasek
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going into surgery today. Yippee!
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
Tim McGinley
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seeing this now, I hope all went well!!!
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim, Scott, and Vin DiBona. It was three weeks ago this past Wednesday that the surgery took place, and it is by no means an easy recovery. I can barely lift my left arm at this point (I'm not supposed to lift more than 2 lbs. with it), but the therapy is going well. They are saying my range of motion is excellent and that my numbers are far better than they hope for at this stage in the recovery.

Not playing is not easy! You can hear what I've been doing by clicking here. The last five tunes were written since I've been convalescing, and since I can't play them to record them, I'm "improvising" the solos using other sounds. It's kinda fun, actually, and has kept me from going nuts due to withdrawal from my usual level of musical activity.

Interestingly, Tim, I was just thinking about you earlier today. We haven't seen each other in a whole bunch of years (since you got married, I'm thinking), and it would be great to see you and your family again!

Back to work taking it easy (something I don't do well at all). Thanks again for the kind words!
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Wish you a speedy recovery.

I was in the hospital last year with a bone infection in my right shoulder. Five surgeons came in my room and told me that I had a serious bone infection and that I had puss between my heart and my lungs. The puss was less than an 8th of an inch from my heart.

They told me that I would need an 7 inch incision from the base of my neck down the shoulder so they could clean everything up, they also told me that my arm would be casted to my chest like the Pledge of Allegiance for 6 weeks. I said to them "how do I wipe my as$....."

I had to sign all kinds of papers refusing the surgery, they all told me that I would be dead in a few months.

Instead of the surgery, I took six weeks of intense antibiotics through a pick line that went strait to my heart.

Between the treatments and a lot of praying from my family and friends.....

I was totally cured.

You"ll be glad to know that I'm a good boy now. No more bad habits. That infection scared me strait!!!

Again a speedy recovery to you pal.

Chris LaBarbera
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed this, hurts to even read about it, Rich. I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery! Just don't push it and end up set back another month or three...
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, gentlemen, and congratulations Chris . . . I'm guessing your wife and daughters are really happy for you, too.

At the six-week mark, my left arm strength is extremely limited, but hopefully by December I will have the strength to hold my horn (with a firm left-hand grip) and start getting my chops going again.

From September 28 through December 1st, no playing (plenty of Trio of Daily Calisthenics, however). I'm trying to psyche myself into learning to play again as Doc would have recommended. Tiny mid-range sound, do some compression daily, make sure my pivot is stabilized, do some track routine stuff daily, and so forth.

I'm really hoping that this layoff will "erase" the chalkboard and allow me to start fresh on a new footing. It would be nice to come back into this playing thing with a better plan for success.

One other thing: I'm getting hearing aids on 11/21. Fortunately, as a Vietnam Era Army Veteran, the VA is covering the cost (thank you my fellow American taxpayers!). That will be a huge adjustment to my life as well.

Big changes used to scare me. Now I'm merely just a little bit nervous but mostly excited about a fresh new chapter in my life. Thanks again for the support out there!
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick report to check in with the Reinhardt community.

Thanks to a very informative and uplifting conversation with Chris a couple of Saturdays ago, as of today I feel like I can actually play my trumpet again. The first week and a half was sketchy to say the least, but I'm starting to feel like a trumpet player again.

It's hard to be willing to "baby step" one's way back onto the trumpet after a two-month forced layoff, especially when there are gigs on the calendar very soon. But it has been worth it to proceed with caution and definitely worth it to ask for help.

Funny, I can spot things in other's playing that I can't spot in my own, and Chris knows my playing and my tendencies and really hit the nail on the head with his suggestions for my return to playing.

I'll always be grateful to Doc Reinhardt for giving me the tools to actually be able to finally play a trumpet, and for students like Chris and Dave Sheetz who know the material inside-out and are able to help refresh my memory and bring things to my attention that I have either forgotten or have neglected or overlooked.

Ain't life grand?

Thanks, guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: