• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

concert middle Bb for walking in?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dbfinn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: concert middle Bb for walking in? Reply with quote

That is the note recommended for this correctional procedure but what note is this? the C on the first leger line or the one the third space?

I searched in the web and apparently is the one at the botton but the Encyclopedia says it is the higher one.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: concert middle Bb for walking in? Reply with quote

Dbfinn wrote:
That is the note recommended for this correctional procedure but what note is this? the C on the first leger line or the one the third space?

I searched in the web and apparently is the one at the botton but the Encyclopedia says it is the higher one.

Trumpet tuning note C, third space.
Dbfinn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For trumpet players, Reinhardt told us not to buzz below the second line G (concert F) . . . I think trombone players were an octave below that (if memory serves).

Having spent time as both a trumpet and trombone player, I can assure you that buzzing and "walking in" to the third space C on trumpet is a great correctional procedure for downstream players. Upstream players were warned not to buzz and walk in.

I never did much buzzing and walking in on trombone, but it sure works wonders on trumpet!

After a conversation with Chris LaBarbera on the phone today, I have decided to step up my buzzing. Chris was saying that buzzing the lips (no mouthpiece) has been one of the most important things for his chops in all his years of playing and study, adhering to Reinhardt's teachings.

A word to the wise is sufficient.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich,

It was great to talk to you today. I'm very happy to hear about your "fresh start" on playing that you spoke of.

I just wanted to let everyone know that if I where stuck on an island and could only do one Reinhardt drill it would be his "buzz 3 play 1" drill

Buzz 3 middle C's then play a middle C. Buzz three C#'s then play a C#...etc...

Chris LaBarbera
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had an insight about lip buzzing that I put together from observing my own playing over the years. Lip buzzing only works well for me if I am using a mouthpiece with a diameter and rim that fits my chops well. If so, it makes an amazing difference. I would agree with Chris in the importance of lip buzzing. I haven't done the walking in exercise in awhile. I do 2 min of lip buzzing in the middle register..several sessions a day spaced out.
Www.LexSamu.com
take2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Hollywood wrote:
I just wanted to let everyone know that if I where stuck on an island and could only do one Reinhardt drill it would be his "buzz 3 play 1" drill

Buzz 3 middle C's then play a middle C. Buzz three C#'s then play a C#...etc...

Chris - would you continue up chromatically or spiderweb it?

Thanks
take2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this in an old post. I didn't realize it was in the Encyclopedia all along. Ascend chromatically is the answer.

On pg.170 of the Encyclopedia of the Pivot System, Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt wrote:
"Buzz three middle concert B flats and sustain each one to the fullest extent of the playing breath. Then place the mouthpiece upon the embouchure formation in the normal playing manner and sustain a middle concert B flat while playing the instrument. Observe the usual mouthcorner breathing regulations between each of the three buzzes and the one sustained note on the instrument. Now, remove the mouthpiece from the lips for a momentary rest. After this short rest, repeat the entire process but this time use the middle concert B natural as the pitch to be buzzed by the lips and played on the instrument. Strive to match each of the four pitches; this, too, is a good drill. Ascend chromatically in this manner to the high concert B flat. Remember, this routine is extremely strenuous and the rest periods must become longer and more frequent as this routine progresses."
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I were doing this on an Eb horn...

Would you "walk in" to the equivalent pitch (the 2nd line G)?
Gandalfe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? That's what an alto or bari sax would do.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
So if I were doing this on an Eb horn...

Would you "walk in" to the equivalent pitch (the 2nd line G)?

Reinhardt had trumpet players learn to buzz starting at (or striving to start at) the concert Bb—on a Bb trumpet, our tuning note, the third space C. He told trumpet players not to buzz below the concert F just below that (second line G).

On an Eb trumpet, I would guess that if you're comfortable buzzing a Bb concert, that might be the best place to start doing that "buzz three/play one" drill.

I also have had success modifying that drill to do it in spiderweb fashion rather than just ascending chromatically. That way I am able to go further in the drill before I'm too tired to buzz. (Doc used to warn us frequently not to buzz on fatigued chops.)

As a doubler (valve bone/bass trumpet), I am also "allowed" to buzz below that second line G. That may be one reason I prefer to incorporate the spiderweb into the "buzz three/play one" drill.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows how messed up my chops were when I discovered Doc's teaching via this forum. I couldn't even buzz up to the G specified, even though I could play A above high C pretty consistently. I still can't buzz anywhere near a high C.

Dave Sheets' buzzing range is incredible! And looks so effortless
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a lesson with Chris L and he advised me to work on my buzzing, and specifically this buzz 3 notes play 1 note drill. Looking forward to working on it and getting benefit from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: