• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piston cleaner?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the following in email from someone viewing my (incomplete) trumpet website. It struck me as interesting, and am wondering about any potential downsides... or is this urban legend?

Thanks,

-Dan

My name is Rick and I have been playing the trumpet for 14 years now and started playing when I was blown away after seeing Miles Davis play in concert before his untimly death in 1990.

I have had a lotta horns: Getzen, A new Red Laquered Martin Committe (the Miles Davis Triblue horn by Martin). Most recently my Girlfriend bought me a Red Laquered Maestro for Xmas 2002 which I love playing cause it was such a wonderful gift from my girl and it has a great dark tone. My girlfriend also made me the most beautiful case for my gift made of velvet. Unfortunatly since it is only a student horn it has nickel plated pistons and they have very quickly become tarnished with the typical black tarnish.

I can home from work recently and to my delight my girlfriend showed me one of my pistons totally CLEAN like new! I couldn't believe my eyes and asked how she did it. She sat me down as I watched in disbelief as she took everyday Heinz Catsup and immersed the two remaining pistons in it. I really thought this was some kind of joke as I dont like catsup and she does. She left the pistons coverd in catsup for 30 minutes and then began to buff them with a flannelette cloth.

Amazingly before my eyes the tarnish just got wiped away. Lila (my Girlfriend) explained to me that it was the natural ocurring vinegar and salt in the catsup that did it. After this, she clened them, then rubbed the pistons down with a light coating of olive oil which she says will bring out the shine and further clean them. After leaving the olive oil on for 30 minutes, I thouroughly cleaned the pistons with a soapy water solution and lubricated them with a high quality piston oil, and now the inside of my horn looks as good as the outside Love your site and let me know what you think of Lila's cleaning soution for my dirty pistons.
Druyff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Does she have a sister?
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acetic acid... Will shine 'em up. Also takes some metal off, etc. and could affect the finish (lacquer or brass). It's a pretty weak acid, so don't know if it's a real concern or not. I wouldn't leave for 30 minutes, though, but maybe try 5-10 or some other lesser time.

FWIW (opinion born or ignorance, as I've never tried catsup on my horn) - Don
It's All Technique

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I was a chemical engineer in a former life, Vinegar in kechup is a highly diluted form of acetic acid, so they are one in the same.

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Studio, Special, Ambassador
'75 LA Benge, Conn Vintage One
Yamaha 6335 II, 6335 II raw brass, 9335 New York, 6345 II, 8310Z
Yamaha and Getzen Mike Vax Models,
Schilke X3, Bach Strad. 37. 72*Raw Brass!!
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to do the same thing with pennies and Taco Bell hot sauce in High School.

I wouldn't get near my horn with it though!
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric -- Sorry, I wasn't clear... I meant to make the point that what was doing the work was the acetic acid in the catsup... - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: