• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute Bag

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthawaii wrote:
I'm also using a Home Depot Husky bag. Lots of room and has side pouches for pencils, oil, mouthpieces, etc.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-14-in-Large-Mouth-Bag-71787-2N09/202018007

Mark Minasian

I just bought the 12 in. version. $10. Fits solotone, plunger, bubble, 2 straights, cup. I could probably do a couple more if needed.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As I believe I said earlier on this thread, I use the Protec trombone mute bag. It will hold a pretty large music folder, small fold-up music stand, quite a number of mutes, instrument stands and water in the main section, with smaller accessories in the large side pocket.

We have however had a change to the parking arrangements for my orchestra, with me having to park only a fairly short way away in a car park rather than directly outside the hall. Even though it is only a fairly short walk, I am considering switching to the Protec trumpet mute bag, as this would clip to the rings on my case.

I however still would need to carry a cardboard music folder, small fold-up music stand, in the bell trumpet stand, straight mute, cup mute, harmon and bottle of water.

I have the following trumpet case:

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/YTR-8335-Mk-II-Custom-Xeno-Bb-Trumpet-In-Various-Editions/pidBYTR833502-SUPER (see picture of case top row far right).

I have yet to try my cardboard music folder in the front pocket, but if it does fit, which I doubt owing to the curved top to the pocket (why on earth they can't make them square like the case, I just don't know), along with my small fold-up music stand, I am wondering whether the following Protec trumpet mute bag would be a viable option:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/protec_m400_daempfertasche_trompete.htm

How many mutes do these typically hold?

Would I be able to fit in a Denis Wick straight and cup, JoRal bubble and K&M trumpet stand?

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. I wish I had read this thread before I went out and purchased one of those Protec mute bags. I'd much rather have the significantly cheaper and probably better in the long-term Home Depot bags.

Well, live and learn, I guess.
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Timbuk2 messenger bag. It is also the perfect size for carrying a music folder to rehearsal or method books to lessons, and is roomy enough for all kinds of other necessaries.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I asked above but probably in a mixture of too many things for anyone to have seen it.

To whoever owns the Protec M400 trumpet mute bag.

i.e. This one:

http://www.alangregory.co.uk/music/Pro_Tec_M400_Trumpet_Mute_Bag.html

How many mutes does this typically hold?

For example, I generally carry a K&M in the bell stand, Denis Wick straight and cup, a JoRal bubble (or Denis Wick ET), and often also a Denis Wick plunger and Humes and Berg bucket .

I can imagine for one moment, it holding all these, but I am wondering whether it would hold a K&M in the bell stand, Denis Wick straight and cup and a JoRal bubble (or Denis Wick ET), as I tend to find that I need straight, cup and harmon most often and don't want to carry my trumpet stand in the bell.

Many Thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've just found this which is interesting:

http://thetrumpetplayer.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/a-closer-look-protec-trumpet-mute-bag.html

I'm not sure however how my larger Denis Wick cup and Humes and Berg bucket would fit.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
MaestroTrpt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is an older thread, but I felt compelled to chime in...

I have used the ProTec M400 mute bag for as long as I can remember, and it's suited me well.
https://www.amazon.com/ProTec-M400-Protec-Trumpet-Mute/dp/B0002E5680

The M400 is the (obviously) smaller version than the M404 model. In the center of it, it has a detachable, velcro "wall" that you can adjust to create different mute chamber widths.

Mute capacity varies for the M400. If you position/stack the mutes in certain (and safe/dent-free) ways, you can fit quite a few. I've fit my bubble mute, straight mute, cup mute, plunger, AND mute mate mute holder in the bag, while using the velcro wall, with no damage to the mutes.

Though it has a clip to attach it to your main case or whatnot, I often just use the adjustable shoulder strap. Also, as stated by others in other threads, if the mute bag is attached to the Mike Vax ProTec double horn case (like the product suggests), it makes the case top/front heavy, making it susceptible to tipping over.

The latest version of this now comes with a front pocket. I bought mine BEFORE they added this feature, and now I'm jealous of those who own this newer version .

So yes, the M400 is pricey compared to the tool bags mentioned, but I guess it just depends how many mutes you are transporting, how big (or heavy) of a bag you are willing to tote around, etc, etc.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaestroTrpt

Thank you very much for your very detailed and thoughtful account of the M400. I personally have however decided to stick with the larger M401 trombone mute bag.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/protec_m401_daempfertasche_posaune.htm?glp=1&gclid=CJS0kO7eq9ECFQoA0wod6z8AKw

In addition to a full set of mutes, I can also get in several large music folders (although I normally only carry one), fold-up music stand, a few small bottles of water, numerous small accessories, with quite a bit of space to spare for occasions when I want to carry other things as well.

Thanks again.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
MaestroTrpt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure!
For the amount of gear you can fit into the M401 trombone mute bag, that sounds like a steal. All the best!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaestroTrpt wrote:
My pleasure!

Thanks very much.

For the amount of gear you can fit into the M401 trombone mute bag, that sounds like a steal.

I didn't look at the price to be honest, and just posted the first link which came up. I have two M401 trombone mute bags, one for my cornet accessories, and one for my trumpet accessories, which I have had for I reckon around ten years. They have always served me well.

All the best!

All the best to you too.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the Home Depot “husky” brand 12 inch bag linked above. Room for a Hercules clamp-on mute stand, rag, and straight, cup and Harmon mutes. Plenty of room for oil, pencils, etc. though I doubt I could get another mute in due to the stand.

On sale for $4.88
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have each in a crown royale bag for transport. I put those in a cheap toolbox. You can get any size toolbox depending on need. I got the cheapest $10 orange toolbox at Home Depot, because I don't care about mute bag fashion. Black is the most common color. I get comments, mostly curious. But for those out there who don't understand I'm not out there to impress with a mute bag, well, none of their business.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
conradrh1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: mute bag Reply with quote

I use a bag from home depot which people carry their tools in
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever bag they fit in with whatever else I need to take. My BAM backpack case does the trick 90% of the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: