• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Smaller 3C

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Thankyou,
I have decided that I want to buy an old vintage Bach 3C around the 1960's era. I don't see any on eBay so if anyone can direct me to somewhere/someone I can buy one from that would be great!
Thanks for the help 😊
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
Ok Thankyou,
I have decided that I want to buy an old vintage Bach 3C around the 1960's era. I don't see any on eBay so if anyone can direct me to somewhere/someone I can buy one from that would be great!
Thanks for the help 😊

Hi Martinharris

You are very welcome. My suggestion would be to post in the trade and trial thread, if you have something you'd like to trade in return, or to put a wanted ad on the trumpetherald marketplace.

Good luck with your search

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too complicated, I don't know how to do that
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
Too complicated, I don't know how to do that

To place a wanted ad on the trumpetherald marketplace:

Open the trumpetherald forum. Click on marketplace. Click on my account in the top centre. It is hard to explain further since I have an active marketplace account and therefore cannot take you through setting one up step by step, but the bottom line of the screen which comes up should lead you through the necessary steps.

To post on the trade and trial thread:

I'm sure that you weren't referring to this being too complicated, but if you weren't aware, there is a multi-page trade and trial thread on the mouthpiece forum, which one of us keeps bringing back to the first page every now again by posting.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82550

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
I can't play on the warburton 4 rim, it's so thick, flat and sharp... horrible rim.
For the guy who suggested a kanstul 3D... I'm not looking for a shallower cup than a Bach 3C, just a little less diameter!
I've tried the Yamaha 14b4 but it did feel shallower than a Bach 3C.
The Pickett 4 rim is too sharp and I think the cup is deeper than the Bach.

Hi again Martinharris

I've been having a mouthpiece sort out and thought that I'd have a quick look at the admittedly cornet rather than trumpet Yamaha 14B4 which I have and have never even tried (I got it in trade for a Bach 1 1/2C cornet mouthpiece that a colleague had a need for).

On the embouchure, it feels very much like my Bach 3C, just a fraction smaller.

Regarding the cup depth, like I say, this one is a cornet one, but it looks no shallower than my Bach 3C, and I did my very unscientific measurement of cup depth, which is to put the tip of my very small pinky finger in the very bottom of the cup and look to see how much of the bottom of my finger nail I can see above the rim, and they look identical, whereas the 3D top I have with a copy of my 3C rim, is noticeably shallower.

The Yamaha 14B4 may possibly sound brighter owing to having a different backbore (I've never played this 14B4 cornet mouthpiece and have never directly compared a Yamaha 14B4 with my trumpet 3C, having played a 14B4 when play testing and demonstrating Yamaha trumpets when I used to work in a music shop), but I truly do not think it is much if any shallower than a Bach 3C.

It is a shame that there is not a scan of the Yamaha 14B4 on one of the Kanstul comparators.

All the best

Lou

P.S. I post this not to try to persuade you to try a 14B4 but because I think that a Yamaha 14B4 is probably easier to get hold of than a 1960s Bach 3C.
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OP wants a 3c-ish cup geometry, but a slightly narrower i.d. at the rim, then I suggest a 7D. I have a 3C, a Yammy Shew Jazz, a 7D, and a 10 1/2 D. They all feel very similar in cup depth and geometry, but varying in i.d. at the rim. Yes, there are those who criticize the Kanstul Comparator, but I find it to be very close, having compared actual examples.

Everyone must remember that the 3C cup is about the shallowest of all of the Bach C cups, more like the rest of Bach's D cups (except, of course, the 3D), and that is why it has broad appeal across genres and playing styles.
Robert Rizzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette B6S1 - narrower than a Bach 3C with a round rim contour and rich sound

Monette B4S is a copy of an old Bach 3C. It has a sharper rim contour than a B6S1.

The B6S1 is narrower than the B4S
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
The horn trader piece and the curry no dot 3 are both larger or as large as a standard Bach 3C so no... they are not what's I'm describing.

Not so sure about that. Here are my measurements. The Curry is a recent one. In mm because I am european:

Horntrader 27.16 16.04 (based on a 3C MountVernon belonging to Arturo Sandoval)
Breslmair 3C 27.29 16.39 (rim believed to be copied from a MV 3C)*
Wick 3 26.84 16.64 (rim believed to be copied from a MV 3C)
Curry 3 27.38 16.65 (rim believed to be copied from a MV 3C)
Gewa 3C 27.23 16.62 (believed to be copied from a MV 3C)

The reason the Horntrader measures smaller is that it has more defined inner edge (more bite - kind of).

In fact, the closest rim to the Horntrader in my collection is a Breslmair G which I measure at 16.27.

Precise measurements are probably not necessary. For 15 years I played a Wick 2 on cornet and a Bach 1 on trumpet. They felt the same, but when I eventually measured them they were a lot different.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
McVouty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin - I think I know what you're looking for - even if I cant suggest the mouthpiece that fits your description exactly (3C but slightly smaller diameter), as I'm on a similar search!

Just to clarify a few points - the mouthpieces based on the Mount Vernon 3C (Horntrader, Curr, Arturo) - have a wider flatter rim with less 'bite' than the modern 3C. While this does mean more comfort/endurance I just don't like the feel from a flexibility/articulation point of view and they all feel slightly wider too (Horntrader not so much). I have all the warburton 4 series tops from MD to SV and while they all work to a certain extent I just don't find them as versatile as the Bach 3C - again rims are just a bit too flat. Somebody mentioned the Arturo top, but I wouldn't recommend that as it certainly felt closer to a 1 1/4C to me and a lot bigger than my Bach 3C.

So, the bottom line is that at the moment I'm actually playing a Bach 5C - I quite like the rim (more rounded than 3C) but its deeper than the 3C so not as responsive when playing in big band.

I've just bought a second hand 14B4 for next to nothing so look forward to giving that a try. I would also like to try Reeves - maybe the 42 rim - but really hard to get hold of this side of the pond.

Based upon what everyone has said so far, looks like a 14C4 might give you what you need for legit playing - definitely worth a go for not much money. Might try one myself if I like the 14B4!!

Cheers

Carl
McVouty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One final thing - there seems to be a lot of mythology surrounding the vintage Mount Vernon 3C mouthpieces as being the holy grail (probably because Arturo plays one) - so when they do come up on ebay you'll be surprised at the high price they go for! Better to be sure its what you want before you end up in a bidding war for one!!!!!
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi carl,
Just a heads up about the reeves 42 rim... it's really quite narrow, similar to my Bach 10.5EW rim. I think you might like the Yamaha 14B4 but not the 14C4.
I'' just looking for an older Bach 3C now
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
Hi carl,
Just a heads up about the reeves 42 rim... it's really quite narrow, similar to my Bach 10.5EW rim. I think you might like the Yamaha 14B4 but not the 14C4.

I agree that the Reeves 42 feels quite small compared to any 3C I've tried.

The Reeves 43 feels more similar to the modern (larger) 3C but a bit wider. The Reeves 43N feels more 3C-like in width. Again, to me, both feel noticeably bigger than the Yamaha 14B4.

As often as I've heard this I'm a bit surprised there's not more granularity in the Reeves system. 40 and 41 are tiny, 42 is small, 43 is fairly big and 43.5 is a bit bigger than that. Seems like a 42.5 or 42.75 might be a popular size. I've not tried his classical line 3C piece yet.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but James R New, Who used to be the mouthpiece maker at Kanstul, now produces his own line of mouthpieces. The M cup and S rim were scanned from Arturo Sandoval's 3C and you can order it in any diameter you want. Apparently .650" is the original size, sits about like a Curry 3C, so maybe try .640"?

The S backbore was also scan from Arturo Sandoval's 3C.

Dig: http://james-r-new.com/mouthpieces/james-r-new-one-piece-mouth.html

I hope this helps.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the curry 3C. 'dot' piece is smaller than a bach 3C. curry pieces play a tad nicer than bach pieces and are readily available at mid prices.
McVouty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
Hi carl,

Hi Martin - thanks for the heads up - just received the 14B4 and it pretty much hits the nail on the the head for what I was looking for - I could do nearly all my playing on this one - just need something deeper and with a symphonic backbore for orchestra/intimate jazz gigs. I'll give the 14C4 a go for curiosity sake as well as the 14A4a in the other direction - I have a Vizzutti which is more 5C like on the rim.

Hope you find THE ONE - seems like there are as many Bach 3C sizes out there as there are mouthpieces!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Mike Prestage on this forum emailed me the following regarding my 3C (Mike I trust that you don't mind me sharing this):

I would say that your 3C rim feels a similar diameter to a 'typical' 1 1/2C. I was surprised at how big it actually measured up but I happen to have a 3C that I took in a trade and that one measures even larger! I've just asked the original owner and they confirmed that they bought it new last year. That doesn't necessarily mean that if you bought another new one now it would be the same - personally I haven't seen enough specimens of the recent production to make up my mind on whether they're reasonably consistent or not. If you want a consistently made mouthpiece with a rim that should feel fairly close to your 3C, the Yamaha 16C4 might be a good bet. They're also very reasonably priced from Yamaha's London outlet.

When I bought my Yamaha Xeno II trumpet, it was supplied with a Yamaha 16C4. I've also ended up with a Yamaha 14B4 cornet mouthpiece, which I accepted in trade from a local band master who wanted my Bach 1 1/2C cornet mouthpiece for one of his cornet section. I've never even tried this 14B4.

Reading this thread, I decided to check how the 16C4 and 14B4 felt on the embouchure to my Bach 3C (I only set as if I was about to play and didn't actually play any of the mouthpieces). Despite Mike Prestage's recommendation of a 16C4, which probably more closely matches the actual diameter of my mouthpiece, to me, the 14B4 felt a lot more like my 3C than did the 16C4. Yes, the 14B4 did feel a little smaller, but it felt like a 3C. The rim of the 16C4 felt different to me. I can't really describe it in words (especially since it was a couple of weeks ago), but it felt maybe more rounder with a sharper bite, and either the bite or highpoint of the rim a little further out. Maybe it was just the difference in alpha angle I was feeling combined with a slightly larger cup diameter. My conclusion is that the Yamaha 14B4 feels like a smaller variant 3C to me.

I really hope that this will help someone.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I can't just get a Yamaha 14b4 is because I had that mouthpiece scanned at kanstul and turns out the rim is even more soft bite than the curry 3. And the high point is on the inside which I don't like.
So I'm looking for a Yamaha 14b4 which isn't a Yamaha 14b4
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
i think the curry 3C. 'dot' piece is smaller than a bach 3C. curry pieces play a tad nicer than bach pieces and are readily available at mid prices.

what he said ...
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
The only reason I can't just get a Yamaha 14b4 is because I had that mouthpiece scanned at kanstul and turns out the rim is even more soft bite than the curry 3. And the high point is on the inside which I don't like.
So I'm looking for a Yamaha 14b4 which isn't a Yamaha 14b4

Hi Martinharris

I haven't seen a scan of the Yamaha 14B4. Please post the scan image here if you are able. All I can say is that the rim of the Yamaha 14B4 feels pretty similar to my particular Bach 3C. Are you saying that the high point of the 14B4 is further to the inside than shown on the Kanstul scan of a Bach 3C? If so, I didn't notice that.

A Yamaha 14B4 which isn't a Yamaha 14B4? I don't know. The scan of the Bobby Shew Jazz on alternative version of the Kanstul comparator is very similar to the scan of a Bach 3C, but in my opinion the Bobby Shew Jazz has a rounder rim.

It probably however also has a more commercial backbore, which if I remember earlier remarks on this thread, isn't what you are looking for, and has a no smaller cup diameter in my opinion than a typical Bach 3C.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVouty wrote:
Martinharris wrote:
Hi carl,

Hi Martin - thanks for the heads up - just received the 14B4 and it pretty much hits the nail on the the head for what I was looking for - I could do nearly all my playing on this one - just need something deeper and with a symphonic backbore for orchestra/intimate jazz gigs. I'll give the 14C4 a go for curiosity sake as well as the 14A4a in the other direction - I have a Vizzutti which is more 5C like on the rim.

Hope you find THE ONE - seems like there are as many Bach 3C sizes out there as there are mouthpieces!

Schilke Symphony M3 might be a good choice. Similar rim size and feel as the Yamaha 14B4 (to my lips) stock with a Schmitt backbore. The only caveat being that I needed to have mine cut for sleeves to get it to gap right in my horn. Also I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use this backbore for intimate jazz playing. But it's good for symphonic playing when you need to play BIG. In my experience, symphonic playing gear is rarely good for warm and intimate. Perhaps the Yamaha GP series or just a deeper cup (C, D, E).
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: