• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Smaller 3C

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the consensus on a Kanstul "B3C" relative to a current production Bach 3C? Or any other modern Bach 3C?

Is it representative?

If the scanned 3C on the comparator (ie: "B3C") is more like a Mt Vernon 3c than a current model (which anecdotally appears to be the case), then are any conclusions drawn from comparing to that scan going to be useful?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
What's the consensus on a Kanstul "B3C" relative to a current production Bach 3C? Or any other modern Bach 3C?

Is it representative?

If the scanned 3C on the comparator (ie: "B3C") is more like a Mt Vernon 3c than a current model (which anecdotally appears to be the case), then are any conclusions drawn from comparing to that scan going to be useful?

Hi TKSop

I have an email from Jim New somewhere, showing a scan of my 3C compared to the one on the comparator and the CG3.

The one on the comparator is pretty similar to mine, so is presumably also a larger variant 3C.

It is a copy of Charley Davis' 3C, but I'm not sure which lettering variation he has.

I have a feeling that there are still more larger variant 3Cs in circulation than smaller ones, so in my opinion comparing other mouthpieces to the Kanstul scan is still useful, as long as the Kanstul scan is considered as a larger variant.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
McVouty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience (owned dozens of mouthpieces in my time), just relying on overlay scans to figure out how a mouthpiece will play for you is a pretty futile endeavour. They can give you some general ideas, but until you've played them I wouldn't include or dismiss any sensible looking options. - too many other variables that interact, including throat, backbore, horn and player. Just sayin'

Cheers

Carl
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: 3C Reply with quote

I would second the Stork 3 rim. For whatever reason, I find the Stork 3 size to be much easier to play than a Bach 3, regardless of the cup size.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:
i think the curry 3C. 'dot' piece is smaller than a bach 3C. curry pieces play a tad nicer than bach pieces and are readily available at mid prices.

what he said ...

Here's a scan comparing the Curry 3C. to a modern Bach 3C (click on the image to open it up full-sized in a separate window):

https://s25.postimg.org/au9ow1mj3/Curry_3_C_dot_red_vs_Bach_3_C_green.jpg
Curry 3C. (red) vs Bach 3C (green)

To my eyes, it looks like the inner rim diameters are nearly identical, but the Curry has a slightly wider rim (wider outer diameter) and a bit more volume in the cup than that of the Bach 3C.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Curry in the Bach blank instead of the "stock" one for most things.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan ... Mark Curry sent me a Curry 3C. some time ago stating that it was a tad smaller than a Bach 3C
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke "Symphony" line has a new M3C that they describe as a little smaller rim than their standard 3C. I have one in my grubby little hands as we speak... nice mouthpiece. Seems to play for me much better than any other 3C-ish sizes I've tried and failed with in the past.

From Schilke site:

M3C 27 NEW – slightly smaller ‘3’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore.
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
RussellDDixon wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:
i think the curry 3C. 'dot' piece is smaller than a bach 3C. curry pieces play a tad nicer than bach pieces and are readily available at mid prices.

what he said ...

Here's a scan comparing the Curry 3C. to a modern Bach 3C (click on the image to open it up full-sized in a separate window):

https://s25.postimg.org/au9ow1mj3/Curry_3_C_dot_red_vs_Bach_3_C_green.jpg
Curry 3C. (red) vs Bach 3C (green)

To my eyes, it looks like the inner rim diameters are nearly identical, but the Curry has a slightly wider rim (wider outer diameter) and a bit more volume in the cup than that of the Bach 3C.

That agrees with my experience. I quite liked the Curry 3C. pieces I've played except for the ID being noticeably too big for me. In my enthusiasm to play a Curry piece, I even asked Mark is his 5C was at all like a smaller 3C and he indicated that was more similar to the identically named Bach which I really don't favor. I've yet to try his 600-series which some say may fit better.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
John Mohan ... Mark Curry sent me a Curry 3C. some time ago stating that it was a tad smaller than a Bach 3C

Well what would he know?!?!

Seriously, given the variance in Bach 3C mouthpieces I'm sure Mark's 3C. is a bit smaller than some of them. But it's been bigger than every modern 3C I've compared it to in terms of cup volume. Is it possible he was referring to the Mt Vernon 3C when he told you that? He always maintains that his 3C. is based on an example of a "smallish Mt Vernon 3C.".
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows, pick up 10 random Bach mouthpieces of the same supposed model at a swap meet, get 325 differences between them.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Bradley wrote:
The Schilke "Symphony" line has a new M3C that they describe as a little smaller rim than their standard 3C. I have one in my grubby little hands as we speak... nice mouthpiece. Seems to play for me much better than any other 3C-ish sizes I've tried and failed with in the past.

From Schilke site:

M3C 27 NEW – slightly smaller ‘3’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore.

Hi Mark

I don't believe that Schilke are saying that the M3C has a smaller cup diameter than a Bach 3C (although this could be the case). If you look at all the sizes other than the M1C, they are described as slightly smaller (i.e. slightly smaller than the M1 diameter), with the size then following

i.e.

M150C 27 NEW – Slightly smaller ‘150’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore.

M2C 27 NEW – Slightly smaller ‘2’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore.

Taken From:

http://www.schilkemusic.com/products/mouthpieces/custom-series/#symphony-trumpet

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
I don't believe that Schilke are saying that the M3C has a smaller cup diameter than a Bach 3C (although this could be the case).

Indeed all the Schilke Symphony 3-series specifically indicates a slightly smaller 3C. From their website...
http://www.schilkemusic.com/products/mouthpieces/custom-series/#symphony-trumpet

M3 - Slightly smaller ‘3’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup, 24 throat and Schmidt backbore.

M3C - NEW – Slightly smaller ‘3’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore.

M3D - Slightly smaller ‘3’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup, 24 throat and TIGHTER Schmidt backbore.

I've had two M3s and one M3D and can confirm that that they do indeed feel like a smaller 3C.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sorry, maybe it is me being daft but I really think that the slightly smaller means slightly smaller than the M1C.

NEW – Slightly smaller ‘150’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore.

NEW – Slightly smaller ‘2’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore.

NEW – Slightly smaller ‘3’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore.

NEW – Slightly smaller ‘5’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore.

I'm not debating that the M3C is not a smaller 3C (afterall I haven't tried it), merely that I don't think that Schilke are referring to this when they say slightly smaller. There is no reference to other manufacturers in the description above, only in the open up menu, which describes the 3 diameter as equivalent to a Schilke 15/14 or 3C.

The 4 diameter is described as being equivalent to a Schilke 14/13 and between a 3C and 5C.

I really think that Schilke are describing the M1 (and other cup depths in the 1 diameter), then describing the other diameters as smaller versions of the M1 (and other cups in the 1 diameter).

Maybe I'm wrong, but that is how I read it.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes things are really much easier but we work hard to complicate.
As i've said in the first page of this thread if you want a (slightly) smaller 3C with MtVernon style rim give the Horn Trader 3 mouthpiece(s) a try. It seems to me that are exactly what you' re looking for. Yes, they are made by Mark Curry and no, they are absolutely not the same of his own 3C.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
As i've said in the first page of this thread if you want a (slightly) smaller 3C with MtVernon style rim give the Horn Trader 3 mouthpiece(s) a try. It seems to me that are exactly what you' re looking for. Yes, they are made by Mark Curry and no, they are absolutely not the same of his own 3C.

I notice that Legends are doing that rim too but with a #24 throat.

I like the Horntrader, especially the deeper 3 one. Makes me sound better on orchestral stuff without going to a silly big mouthpiece.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:

I like the Horntrader, especially the deeper 3 one. Makes me sound better on orchestral stuff without going to a silly big mouthpiece.

The 3 (no letter) is what i Always use for almost everything. Big sound and velvet tone in a "small" cup. For lead the 3CS-28 cannot be beat, especially if you bottom out (as i do) on shallow pieces.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played an older (from the '70s) Bach 3C for about 20 years, but was never completely satisfied with my tone on it - a little too bright/edgy. Three or four years ago I decided to buy a Curry 3C. since I really liked his 3BBC. cornet mouthpiece. It's the best all-around trumpet mouthpiece I've ever owned. I didn't notice much of a change in the feel of the Curry from the Bach, but man, what a nicer sound, easier low register, and more endurance to boot.

Of course, this particular mouthpiece suits me just fine, but your mileage may vary. It's funny what such small dimensional changes in a mouthpiece can do, isn't it?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:

Not to complicate things, but I think an equally good idea is to try James New's S4M cup with his S backbore. This mouthpiece has a copy of Arturo's MV3C rim shape, a cup diameter that is slightly smaller than a modern 3C and a cup shape and depth that is based on Arturo's MV3C. And James' S backbore is a copy of Arturo's MV3C mouthpiece's backbore. Charlie Davis is now playing on this backbore and it's great. Gives a nice warm sound in the low to mid registers, but can really light up when you want it to.

I thought I had posted the above early on in this thread, but I looked through the thread briefly and I don't see such a post from me. So here it is now.

Either Steve Dillard's Horntrader 3C or James New's S4M/S would be an excellent starting point. (Note that both of them have the exact same rim contour - that of Arturo's favorite MV3C).

http://www.horntrader.com/mouthpieces/29-horntrader-custom-signature-mouthpiece-the-classical-ht-3c-27.html

Here's a scan of Jim's S4M (red) compared to an Elkhart 3C (green):

https://s25.postimg.org/ad1srziz3/S4_M_red_vs_Elkhart_3_C_green.jpg

If you're interested in something that is also slightly shallower than a 3C, two choices would be Steve Dillard's Horntrader 3CS-28 or James New's S4MS/S.

http://www.horntrader.com/mouthpieces/133-horntrader-custom-signature-mouthpiece-the-ht-3cs-28.html

Here's a scan of Jim's S4MS (red) compared to an Elkhart 3C (green):

https://s25.postimg.org/6570j8hjj/S4_MS_red_vs_Elkhart_3_C_green.jpg

http://www.james-r-new.com/

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Three or four years ago I decided to buy a Curry 3C. since I really liked his 3BBC. cornet mouthpiece. It's the best all-around trumpet mouthpiece I've ever owned. I didn't notice much of a change in the feel of the Curry from the Bach, but man, what a nicer sound, easier low register, and more endurance to boot.

Out of curiosity, does yours have the stock Curry blank?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: