• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Smaller 3C

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:
Three or four years ago I decided to buy a Curry 3C. since I really liked his 3BBC. cornet mouthpiece. It's the best all-around trumpet mouthpiece I've ever owned. I didn't notice much of a change in the feel of the Curry from the Bach, but man, what a nicer sound, easier low register, and more endurance to boot.

Out of curiosity, does yours have the stock Curry blank?

Yes, it does.
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John said: "Not to complicate things, but I think an equally good idea is to try James New's S4M cup with his S backbore."

As you can see from my gearhead list I've been playing Jim New's S4S with his #9 bore, which he said is comparable to Reeves 69 bore. Jim is making some great stuff, this is a fantastic set up. I ended up with the S4S because I asked Jim what would be similar to the GR 65S I was playing at the time and not entirely satisfied with. He said it S4 rim is very close to the GR 65 rim according to his diagrams (slightly different shape however). So I hate to throw a monkey wrench in the gear box but I think of the S4S as a moderately shallow 7C, not 3. It's true that the S4S rim is close to the Schilke M3C but the M3C seems ever so slightly larger but it also has a little different rim contour so caliper measurements probably wouldn't prove much. The M3C also has a pretty good sized C cup so that changes the feel as well compared to Jim's S cup (which is moderate and has a nice sound). Based off this info. I'd "assume" Jim's S5M would be closest what most of has had experience with concerning the traditional 3C rather than the S4. Not that this would make the S4 rim a bad thing at all, but indeed a 3C drifting to the "smaller side" (or 7c drifting bigger) and that's what many of us including the original poster is looking for.
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F

Last edited by Mark Bradley on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Sorry, maybe it is me being daft but I really think that the slightly smaller means slightly smaller than the M1C.

I would never accuse you of being daft . Quite the contrary.

From their website:
M1 compares to the Bach 1C

M150 compares to a Bach 1.25 or a slightly smaller M150 (which is very very confusing)

M2 compares to a Bach 1.5C or a slightly smaller '2' rim (Bach 2C?, I assume)

M3 compares to a Bach 3.0C (?) or a slightly smaller '3' rim (Bach 3C rim?, I assume)

M4 sized between a Bach 3C and Bach 5C

M5 compares to a Bach 5C with a slightly smaller rim diameter
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Sorry, maybe it is me being daft but I really think that the slightly smaller means slightly smaller than the M1C.

I would never accuse you of being daft . Quite the contrary.

Hi Cheiden

Thank you very much, but I have my moments I assure you.

From their website:
M1 compares to the Bach 1C

M150 compares to a Bach 1.25 or a slightly smaller M150 (which is very very confusing)

M2 compares to a Bach 1.5C or a slightly smaller '2' rim (Bach 2C?, I assume)

M3 compares to a Bach 3.0C (?) or a slightly smaller '3' rim (Bach 3C rim?, I assume)

M4 sized between a Bach 3C and Bach 5C

M5 compares to a Bach 5C with a slightly smaller rim diameter

I'm really sorry, but I just can't read the Schilke website in this way.

Without meaning to be or sound pedantic, I read it as:

Symphony #1 Rim Comparison = Schilke 19/20 or 1C
Symphony #150 Rim Comparison = Schilke 18 or 1.25C
Symphony #2 Rim Comparison = Schilke 16C4/17 or 1.5C
Symphony #3 Rim Comparison = Schilke 15/14 or 3C (I think that the 3.0C is a typo.)
Symphony #4 Rim Comparison = Schilke 14/13 - Between 3C and 5C
Symphony #5 Rim Comparison = Schilke 13 or 5C

I agree that 150 is confusing, as it suggests 1.5C rather than 1.25C. I however don't think that the 2 is referring to a Bach 2C.

I really think that Schilke have a series of mouthpieces which are identical except for their cup diameter, in a progressively smaller cup diameter denoted by a progressive Bach-like nomenclature i.e. 1, 150 (for 1.5), 2, 3, 4 and 5, and that the 'slightly smaller', just means slightly smaller than the same mouthpiece in the inital 1 diameter.

If I am reading this wrong, I completely apologise, but I just can't see it the way you do, however much I look at it.

Since slightly smaller is written in front of most of the sizes, I just see it as a reference that this is a smaller cup diameter than the #1 rim diameter, with the actual size put in the commas. Maybe I am wrong. Whatever the labelling system, that the M3C is actually smaller in cup diameter than a Bach 3C is what is relevant to the OP.

I suppose another issue is not just the rim or cup diameter but the cup shape. Does the Schilke M3C have a Bach 3C cup shape or a Schilke C cup shape in a Bach 3 diameter?

Take Care anyway.

I really have no wish to argue. It is hardly the best written website, and it is no wonder it is confusing.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

I agree that it's far from clear. But Schilke doesn't make any standard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 pieces for these to be smaller than. So to me, those numbers have to reflect the Bach numbered pieces.

The only pieces I can vouch for are the ones I mentioned, M3 and M3D.

The M3 feels very 3C-like but on the small side (good in my book). Regarding the cup, I can't say that I've spent much time looking at it. It plays reasonably full, perhaps more similar to the 1.5C cup, and not bright the way a Bach 3C can. The real difference between it and the 3C is when you play LOUD. The M3 can produce a much bigger sound. When I try to approach the same volume with a stock Bach 3C or 1.5C the mouthpiece pushes back, limiting how far I can go. The M3 raises that ceiling substantially. No doubt attributed to the Schmitt backbore and bigger throat. I've still to invest much time to playing it so it can be taxing. Consequentially I don't use it much, at least not yet. If I were playing second to a strong principle in an orchestra I can see using it to help keep up. I've been in that position before.

FWIW, the M3D felt like an odd compromise with very little to recommend it.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

I agree that it's far from clear. But Schilke doesn't make any standard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 pieces for these to be smaller than. So to me, those numbers have to reflect the Bach numbered pieces.

Hi cheiden

I believe that the numbering system is based on Bach. I do however truly think the "slightly smaller" means smaller than the #1 rim diameter than smaller than any other manufacturers equivalent size, and that the website means "slightly smaller" at a 3 diameter etc, but that is just how I read a website which as you say is far from clear.

The only pieces I can vouch for are the ones I mentioned, M3 and M3D.

The M3 feels very 3C-like but on the small side (good in my book).

Which at the end of the day is what is important for this discussion, rather than how an unclear website is perceived.

Regarding the cup, I can't say that I've spent much time looking at it. It plays reasonably full, perhaps more similar to the 1.5C cup, and not bright the way a Bach 3C can. The real difference between it and the 3C is when you play LOUD. The M3 can produce a much bigger sound. When I try to approach the same volume with a stock Bach 3C or 1.5C the mouthpiece pushes back, limiting how far I can go. The M3 raises that ceiling substantially. No doubt attributed to the Schmitt backbore and bigger throat. I've still to invest much time to playing it so it can be taxing. Consequentially I don't use it much, at least not yet. If I were playing second to a strong principle in an orchestra I can see using it to help keep up. I've been in that position before.

Sounds a very interesting piece, thanks. It is a shame that they don't make a cornet version, as it sounds like the more open backbore and bigger throat may balance the tighter wrap of a cornet, for applications in which a C cup is appropriate.

FWIW, the M3D felt like an odd compromise with very little to recommend it.

That is again interesting.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
McVouty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, who knew a simple question could throw up so many possibilities

Just to get back to the original "exactly like 3C but smaller" question - I think the nearest I have come across are the Yamaha 14 series. I've just got myself nearly the entire range 14C4, 14B4, 14A4a and 14FL for about the same price as one of the current in vogue 'boutique' mouthpieces.

On all of them the rim is identical and has pretty much the same feel as a modern Bach 3C but slightly smaller. Turns out they might just be my Goldilocks sets of mouthpieces to cover pretty much any situation. Time will tell of course.......

I know the Horntrader and Curry 3C. have been mentioned, but would just like to point out that the Mount Vernon rim from which they are based is quite a bit flatter than the modern 3C rim. This might be great for some people, but if you want the exact same Bach 3c rim feel you won't get it from these mouthpieces.

Hope that helps!

Carl
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the Curry rim. I have not tried the horn trader mouthpieces, so I cannot speak to that.

For what it's worth, the James New "S" rim seems to split the difference between the Curry rim and the modern rim. I have only had it for a few days, but I really like it a lot.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVouty wrote:
Wow, who knew a simple question could throw up so many possibilities

Just to get back to the original "exactly like 3C but smaller" question - I think the nearest I have come across are the Yamaha 14 series. I've just got myself nearly the entire range 14C4, 14B4, 14A4a and 14FL for about the same price as one of the current in vogue 'boutique' mouthpieces.

On all of them the rim is identical and has pretty much the same feel as a modern Bach 3C but slightly smaller. Turns out they might just be my Goldilocks sets of mouthpieces to cover pretty much any situation. Time will tell of course.......

I know the Horntrader and Curry 3C. have been mentioned, but would just like to point out that the Mount Vernon rim from which they are based is quite a bit flatter than the modern 3C rim. This might be great for some people, but if you want the exact same Bach 3c rim feel you won't get it from these mouthpieces.

Hope that helps!

Carl

I agree.
I am generally using a Curry 3C rim on a Flip Oakes cornet mouthpiece. It is not at all similar to the Horntrader. The closest I have found to the Horntrader rim (from among the mouthpieces I have access to) is the Breslmair G rim.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wick 4 rim is also quite close, as is a mouthpiece made by Ian Porthouse. I wrote an article here:

http://www.ecalpemos.org/2016/10/perfect-cornet-mouthpiece.html

It is getting the mix of flatness to roundness and bite that is the issue. I am still experimenting a bit because I recently changed cornet.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all this hammering that 3C ought to be a lot smaller by now.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
Sometimes things are really much easier but we work hard to complicate.
As i've said in the first page of this thread if you want a (slightly) smaller 3C with MtVernon style rim give the Horn Trader 3 mouthpiece(s) a try. It seems to me that are exactly what you' re looking for. Yes, they are made by Mark Curry and no, they are absolutely not the same of his own 3C.

I think you are right. This thread is going nowhere now. What does Martinharris want?
It's the Horntrader or the Yamaha 14B4. Try both, the rim of the Yamaha is OK and it IS a smaller 3C. Before my Arturo cup I played a Yamaha 14B4 GP for two years, excellent mouthpiece. I love the extra weight.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if someone wants a 3c but slightly smaller, they can get a piece that is downsized in the computer by 2 percent, That equates to starting out with a 3c lets say, of 655 diameter and ends up with the exact same shape in 645 diameter. The proportions stay exactly the same, same cup shape. That means that its both 2 % narrower in diameter and also 2% shallower in depth.

you can get stuff like that
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
I don't believe that Schilke are saying that the M3C has a smaller cup diameter than a Bach 3C (although this could be the case).

Indeed all the Schilke Symphony 3-series specifically indicates a slightly smaller 3C. From their website...
http://www.schilkemusic.com/products/mouthpieces/custom-series/#symphony-trumpet

M3 - Slightly smaller �3� Rim diameter, standard bowl shape �C� cup, 24 throat and Schmidt backbore.

M3C - NEW � Slightly smaller �3� Rim diameter, standard bowl shape �C� cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore.

M3D - Slightly smaller �3� Rim diameter, standard bowl shape �C� cup, 24 throat and TIGHTER Schmidt backbore.

I've had two M3s and one M3D and can confirm that that they do indeed feel like a smaller 3C.

I know this is an old thread, but thought I’d share my experience. I have several Bach 3Cs as well as several Schilke Symphony M3Cs and an M3D. I had Jim New thread a Schilke M3C rim for me and the ID it is an absolute dead on match for my Bach Corp. 3C underpart. I mean an EXACT fit. This particular Bach underpart is a very middle of the road specimen for a Bach 3C. Not bigger like a Mt. Vernon, not smaller like some of the less consistently built 3Cs. After measuring these mouthpieces, I can also confirm that the M3C and M3D are deeper than the Bach 3C pieces I have. They have more cup volume and depth. I think some’s perception of the Bach 3C being bigger might have to do with rim profile. It is different than the M3C rim, but not bigger. Just thought I would add my experiences to this conversation.

Cheers,
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the overall rim shape is likely a bigger factor in perceived size than some single measurement at any particular point on the curve.
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I agree that the overall rim shape is likely a bigger factor in perceived size than some single measurement at any particular point on the curve.

If I were going to assess the difference in the the Schilke M3C rim and a Bach 3C rim based on feel, I would say that the Bach rim is a bit of a cushion rim with a little bigger O.D. and a bite that is not quite as close to the I.D. In contrast, the M3C may have a bite closer to the I.D. and, perhaps, an O.D. that is not quite as wide. The M3C I.D. could not be a better match for the 3C underpart.

For context, my 2 piece Bach 3C (rim + underpart) was built back in the late 80s by the Bach factory, and the rim they built to match the underpart doesn't fit as flawlessly on the underpart as the M3C rim does. The M3C rim was not blended in any way by Jim New. It was actually cut off and threaded for a different mouthpiece and I happened to try it on the Bach underpart. It is probably my favorite mouthpiece for legit and all around playing. The rim works much better for me than the standard Bach 3C rim. I'm sure OMMV.

All the best,
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
JLandressBrassCustServ.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to find an older Bach 6C. It shares a similar contour to the 3C and is just a touch more narrow while still having a standard c cup.

In our opinion, it is a much more comfortable alternative than a stock Bach 5C as well!

Hope this helps!

J. Landress Brass, LLC.
153 West 36th Street 3rd Floor
NY, NY 10018
Shop: 646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
Bandcity

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Smaller 3 C Reply with quote

Try a Bach 10 1/2 C. Great mouthpiece, similar to 3C in shape (check the Kanstul comparator) and definitely smaller. A lot less expensive if you like it. I bet you can borrow one from almost anyone, so even if this is a crazy idea it was potentially free.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR was mentioned earlier. I played a Bach 3C for years and moved through Warburton and Stork to a GR66M. Currently, I use a GR66MS. If you are looking for the .660 diameter, the GR series is remarkably consistent in its manufacture.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the original post,

Bach 3C but slightly smaller: Yamaha 14B4

I played a Bach 3C for decades but switched to the Yamaha 14B4 a few years ago. Easy transition.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: