• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Best "Meha"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Best "Meha"
Pre-War F. Besson Meha
38%
 38%  [ 19 ]
Post-War F. Besson Meha
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Benge Claude Gordon Model
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Kanstul-made F. Besson Meha
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
Kanstul 1070 "Big Band" Model
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Selmer Claude Gordon Model
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 49

John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
this thread is all for not as my MEHA is the BEST ever!

Not until you sell it at a 301% net profit.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A_DaizJnnJQ
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A_DaizJnnJQ

adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
homebilly wrote:

I've followed this thread and frankly can see both sides of the issue. While I agree that the large markup seemed excessive, I understand the situation. The item was accurately described and was listed with an incredibly high "Buy It Now" price. The buyer agreed to purchase the horn at the "Buy It Now" price and was happy to do so. Some of us are willing to pay top dollar (and on occasion then some) for something that is really important to us.

However, it seems a shame the seller had to get in one last shot. Mr. Mohan"s most recent post (see above) shows a considerable lack of humility.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
homebilly wrote:

I've followed this thread and frankly can see both sides of the issue. While I agree that the large markup seemed excessive, I understand the situation. The item was accurately described and was listed with an incredibly high "Buy It Now" price. The buyer agreed to purchase the horn at the "Buy It Now" price and was happy to do so. Some of us are willing to pay top dollar (and on occasion then some) for something that is really important to us.

However, it seems a shame the seller had to get in one last shot. Mr. Mohan"s most recent post (see above) shows a considerable lack of humility.

It was a joke my friend.

I'll spell it out: Yes, of course I was and am grateful that the gentleman bought the horn for the Buy It Now price of $2950. And I was and am especially happy that the purchase made him so happy. And though it was not in the terms of the auction, had he had a case of buyer's remorse within a reasonable time period after the transaction I would have taken the horn back and refunded his money (less the shipping cost).

And just so you know, Ron (homebilly) and I have been friends for more than thirty years. I might not have made the same joke to someone I only knew via the TH. Or maybe I would have... who knows?

Quote:
hu·mil·i·ty
(h)yo͞oˈmilədē/
noun
noun: humility

a modest or low view of one's own importance; humbleness.

Concerning humility, do you not know what I do for a living? I'm a lead trumpet player. While we are occasionally (more than occasionally) humbled, we are never humble.
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Sanity's choices Reply with quote

The ebay links given for Besson Mehas are English made.(post war) Descent horns but not the real thing. Plays OK, not great. Sanity doesn't really know his Mehas'. When I buy a Meha (in the correct serial number range) I expect to pay 1000.00- to 1500.00 for a mess. It takes at least twenty five hundred dollars to replace tubing (to original specifications) mouthpipe etc...valves...plate or lacquer. I have spent more, depending on the individual horn. The end result should be a Meha , "prewar" or "postwar" that is as it came from the factory...to original configuration.

Bottom line: I'm "in" the horn between four and five thousand dollars at the end of the project. I have done this about thirty times so I know these figures. Buying a horn on ebay that is in great shape, needs no work, in the correct serial number range and original and is below that amount would be a bargain ...Due to the age of these horns...finding one is not reasonably expected as just normal wear and tear etc. Most often the horns, even if they look all right have had work done..probably not "period correct"

A.
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Addendum re character of sound Reply with quote

When the late Frank Sinatra Jr. preformed in the S.F. Bay area, last year, I was asked to provide horns for the section (other then the lead) so as the charts (original Frank Sinatra) would have the same character of sound. Gozzo played lead on the original recordings. Walt Johnson player lead. (played a double B Flat that blew the back wall of the theater into the adjoining county).

I then presented the horns to the players....and so... the legend will continue.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Addendum re character of sound Reply with quote

ALaschiver wrote:
When the late Frank Sinatra Jr. preformed in the S.F. Bay area, last year, I was asked to provide horns for the section (other then the lead) so as the charts (original Frank Sinatra) would have the same character of sound. Gozzo played lead on the original recordings. Walt Johnson player lead. (played a double B Flat that blew the back wall of the theater into the adjoining county).

I then presented the horns to the players....and so... the legend will continue.

When you say "presented," do you mean you gifted them the trumpets?

As nice as I'm sure Besson Meha trumpets are, if you have been playing a Bach or Yamaha for years in all your practice and performing, changing to a strange horn abruptly for a gig, no matter how great the horn, wouldn't be something most players I know would want to do. Were they allowed to use their own mouthpieces?
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Actually, I gave (gifted) the second player...three horns...a set of matched Benge Burbank 3xp's and one restored prewar Besson...with a warm but brilliant Besson sound. The horns used in the concert were Benge "Burbanks" as that horn was prevalent in the L.A. recording industry in the 60's. It was his choice as to how and to whom to pass the horns.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In to the horn between four and five thousand dollars, and you've done this about thirty times? Wow, $150,000 in Bessons.

That's a very expensive hobby!! Especially reading about all of the other horns in your collection. You're definitely more of an authority than I'll ever be!!

Happy New Year and best of luck with your collections and refurbishing of such great horns!
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which war?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
Which war?

World War 2 is the war being referred to when it comes to "pre-war" and "post-war" French Bessons.

Happy New Year everybody!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arjuna wrote:
I would really like to see Conn Selmer bring back the CG Selmer with the build quality they are producing now.
The time is right for this horn to come back.

Amen to that!!! The only problem is, they would have to price it at a premium if they were to make it by hand again as they did before. I think the main reason they stopped producing the horn was because there was little to no profit on them, as they were making them by hand but pricing them at the same price point as a standard Bach Strad (which is not completely hand-built).
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a post-war (1947-1948) French Besson Meha. It is a really nice horn, though I hate the underslung third slide ring.

I also have a Shires CVP, which is designed based on a pre-war Meha. Absolutely fantastic horn.

I owned a Benge CG model, which was also a really nice horn.

All fine horns, but all different. The Shires CVP is my favorite of the three, but I'd happily play any of them in just about any situation.
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say price them along the lines of the Bach LT1901B Commercial trumpet and Bach LR19043B Mariachi trumpet.
"If you build it they will come".

John Mohan wrote:
Arjuna wrote:
I would really like to see Conn Selmer bring back the CG Selmer with the build quality they are producing now.
The time is right for this horn to come back.

Amen to that!!! The only problem is, they would have to price it at a premium if they were to make it by hand again as they did before. I think the main reason they stopped producing the horn was because there was little to no profit on them, as they were making them by hand but pricing them at the same price point as a standard Bach Strad (which is not completely hand-built).
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Heim wrote:
Which war?

World War 2 is the war being referred to when it comes to "pre-war" and "post-war" French Bessons.

Pre WWI is the real quality French Besson
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
Heim wrote:
Which war?

Would you please list a source or sources for your opinion?
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Heim wrote:

Would you please list a source or sources for your opinion?

I have truncated our discussion. I hope that you don't mind.

Sources? Do you mean written?

Have you played a Pre WWI that isn't completely shot? I have played 2. They were pretty beat but still amazing.

Best F. Bessons ever. Closer to the source.
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Reynolds Medalist .470?
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Chicago Benge?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: