• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tony Kadleck GR Demo: Classification?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brasslete_jon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Tony Kadleck GR Demo: Classification? Reply with quote

Link

Not sure if Tony's been typed by anyone in person or in the forum, but looks like a great example of a IIIA to me. Thoughts?
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Hes a IIIA for sure.

I wish they were all that easy to type.

Sometimes you can see what type they are from across the street, and other times it can take more than an hour, and even then it could change after they correct a few small bad habits.

I have a student with me right now who I thought was a IIIB, but now after a few weeks of certain procedures he has become a IIIA. And he is playing his as$ off by the way

But Tony is an easy one IIIA no doubt.

Sometimes you get a player were there is literally no pivot at all...NOTHING. They place maybe slightly higher on the top lip but still they are low enough to be a IIIB, they don't look quite high enough to be a IIIA either.

Then you ask them what feels better on an octave slur and they say "well, either one feels about the same".

But if they stay with you after a few lessons and some correctional routines their true type always emerges.

Thats why unless your mp is almost touching your nose, or is riding on your chin you need a real honest to goodness Reinhardt expert to type you.

Chris LaBarbera
brasslete_jon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I thought so about Tony being a IIIA, but that's why I wanted to hear from the Reinhardt students. One of my students is in middle school, and fortunately we were able to figure out pretty quickly that he is a IIIA by doing some two-octave flow studies and pivoting in different directions. I sent him the video so he can see a pro with his type effectively pivot.

BTW Chris, I appreciate your insight in the forum and am a big fan of your playing! Wish you were in LA to jam!

-Jon (IIIB)
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you John,

I'm glad to see that you are keeping Reinhardt teachings alive on the west coast , BTW Doc LOVED California. All he ever used to talk about was moving out there one day.

Heres is a nice little Doc story for all of you, and I'm sure Rich, Dave and Doug might want to add to it.....

Every year Doc would give what he called his "Teachers Clinic". You had to be a very special student to get invited to it in the first place. I'm not bragging, but I was invited at the ripe old age of 16 to go.

Doc had all these buttons made up that said "Hi, I'm an upstream type" and "Hi, I'm a downstream type".

He told me his biggest problem every year was finding an upstream trombone player who could come as an example of that type on bone.

Keep teaching those kiddies Reinhardt, and please out of respect for all that mans hard work, genius and commitment to the brass community please check back with us occasionally to make sure its the "real" Reinhardt.

I personally thank you for helping to extend Doc's legacy.

And yes if I ever get out that way we'll find us a good rhythm section!!

Chris LaBarbera
tim_wolf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance with Doc's method, but from what I've read, a IIIA has a horn angle that is pretty straight. Tony definitely has a pretty steep angle, especially in the low register. His horn angle appears to increase the lower he goes.

I've recently been experimenting with a bit more horn angle, and it seems to be helping. I feel more contact of the mouthpiece on the lower lip and I have more control. Maybe it's better to do this than pushing out my lower jaw.

What is it in Tony's playing that makes him an obvious IIIA?
brasslete_jon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris!

I'll say that Reinhardt's method not only made me a consistent player, but also more self-aware of any habits -- good or bad -- that would creep into my playing and make the proper adjustments. It's also cool to see other trumpet players (like Tony) killin' it and know why their mechanics work for them.

I'll continue to check in here with any questions or updates. Thanks for the support!

-Jon
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that Tony Kadlek studied with Reinhardt.

Chris LaBarbera
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim_wolf wrote:

What is it in Tony's playing that makes him an obvious IIIA?

If I might try my hand at answering this, from the still in the post I also had that question. Watching the entire video, he really pivots a lot with register change. In his high range, his horn angle is pretty straight out. If all that pivoting is due to properly "following the jaw," and he never studied with Doc? That's pretty impressive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: