• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chicago Area trumpeters!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I just moved to Chicago at the end of Sept. for school, and need to know where the good music stores are. Where can I find trumpets, mutes, mouthpieces, valve oil, sheet music, and repairs??? I live in Hyde Park, so someplace close to home would be great, as I don't have a car. Thanks everyone, and I know this isn't entirely the most appropriate part of the forum, but it is the most trafficked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a similar thread from a few days ago. HTH

/quote/
MarkHeuer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll be in the Chicago area in the near future and would like to play test a few trumpets and several mouthpieces while I'm there. The best option that I know of is to make the @ 1.5 - 2 hr drive to WW and BW in Indiana. Is there another (better) option? Thanks.

Mark Heuer
Dallas, Texas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-11-11 06:31
Hi Mark,

I'm sure you remember Arlington Heights from your time in the Chicago burbs. Wayne Tanabe's shop is there and he always has a variety of neat horns on hand. Something tells me he is also handling a new line of custom horns but I may be mistaken.

Gary Radtke's shop in Dousman Wisconsin is also fairly close. I think he was about an hour and 15 minutes away from where I lived in Crystal Lake. Say hello to the mputhpiece king for me if you see him, please.

Take care Mark and enjoy your visit. I think we're heading up there around Christmas time.

Bill

romey1
Veteran Member

International Music Suppliers in Des Plaines (30 minutes northwest of the city) has a good selection of Bach, Yamaha, Conn, etc.

romey

jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-11-11 08:05
Good suggestions, except add 30 minutes to an hour to each estimated drive time. There's still a lot of roadwork going on in the Chicago area and traffic is murder.

In the South Loop, Chicago Band, 333 S. State, has mainline horns and mouthpieces, as does Evanston Band and Orchestra, 4819 Main, Skokie, IL.

In the Western Suburbs, American Music (formerly Lyons Music), 130 E. St. Charles Road, Carol Stream, has a good selection of Bach and Yamaha horns and mouthpieces.

/unquote/

Bill

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill-anything closer to the Southside/Hyde Park/Loop area? Chicago Band and Orchestra was pretty disappointing, only valve oil was their generic stuff, not even a snake in stock, and few mutes. To their credit the people were friendly, but they weren't too keen on me trying stuff unless I was planning on throwing down on a trumpet/mouthpiece today. I could do the suburb stuff, but I'd have to make a day trip out of it, and as I'm sure many of you can imagine its hard for a college student to find that time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of the Chicago area stores have a Conn V1 C Trumpet in stock?

JU
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellman's Music Center in Naperville, IL, SW of Chicago, has Conn V1s. Co-owner Pete Ellman is a trumpet player himself and knows horns. Here's their Website: http://www.ellmansmusic.com/

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a fairly complete Web roster of Chicago-area music stores. Best to call first to see how extensive their inventory of trumpets and accessories is.

http://www.chicagolandmusicians.com/instruments.html

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, thanks for the replies.

If I recall correctly you are from Glen Ellyn (not a stalker, read it on the Bugles Across America site I believe!!) Would you happen to know any Rosenbergs? A guy on my floor is named Sam Rosenberg, from Glen Ellyn Illinois.

What is in your opinion a really well stocked music store around me, since you seem to be in the know (around me being Hyde Park, the University of Chicago, 1005 E 60th if any of these help). I want to get up to the Brass Bow eventually for a trumpet cleaing/possible valve alignment, but it doesn't look like the CTA will get me there, and I don't have a car here. Any recommended way? Or any place closer with a large inventory?
PiccoloTrumpetVCM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you want horns Chicago band and orchestra is the only place to go in the city. If you take the metra north you can make it to international music suppliers. If youre looking for sheet music then performers music is the best place to go. It's in the performing arts building on Michigan ave. on the 9th floor. or you can to go to Colsens music on Jackson. But I would go to performers. Other than that there is really no place else to go. Wood Wind Brass Wind is in Indiana about 2 hours away.

Hope this helps

Christopher Kuzmanoff
Director of Bands
Collins High School
Chicago Il
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Picc, I may do this Metra to IMS bit.

Will
Jeffm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also live in the Chicago area (suburbs) and there really isn't a good place to easily get to to try stuff out. There's also Evanston Band and Orchestra, but that's a bear to get to from where I live. What do I do? I order from Woodwind Brasswind online and return it if I don't like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: