• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jupiter XO

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetlane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Jupiter XO Reply with quote

Hello. I'm looking at getting a new horn. I am interested in a good all around player that works in a variety of settings and blends well with others. I have been trying out Yamaha Xenos, Bach 37's and the Jupiter XO 1602s. I like the sound of a good Bach but I don't really like the new ones (plus they are over priced) and they are so inconsistent. I like how the Yamaha Xeno's play, but don't like the sound as much and they are also a bit pricey. Honestly, I have been impressed with the new Jupiter XO 1602s. It seems to have a nice blow, good intonation, and a decent sound color. They also seem to be consistent in how the are made and sound. The XO's may be the most bang for the buck as well (obviously they don't compare to custom horns). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

Bb - XO 1602S-R
C - Jupiter XO 1624s
D - Yamaha YTR-751
Cornet - Yamaha YCR-231
Flugel - Getzen 895 Eterna
Pic - Getzen 940 Eterna w/ Blackburn leadpipes
Stork Vacchiano Mouthpieces
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg...

I've never tried the 1602, but just this morning got delivery of an XO 1624 C trumpet that I got off an Ebay seller by the name of "QuinnTheEskimo". He's got good horns at really decent prices, and you might want to check them out (full disclosure: no affiliation).

Will let you know my impression of the XO 1624 later, as I didn't even have time to get it out of the box this morning.

And here are a couple of YouTube comparisons between the Yamaha Xeno and Jupiter XO Bb trumpets that you might want to listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-qd7Tg_KKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPtNWy43g_0

Cheers!
trumpetlane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Jupiter XO Reply with quote

That's funny.... I just ordered the same trumpet from QuinntheEskimo as well! Killer price! Mine is arriving on Thursday. Let's compare notes.

Yes, I watched those videos as well. I was impressed!

Thanks

Bb - XO 1602S-R
C - Jupiter XO 1624s
D - Yamaha YTR-751
Cornet - Yamaha YCR-231
Flugel - Getzen 895 Eterna
Pic - Getzen 940 Eterna w/ Blackburn leadpipes
Stork Vacchiano Mouthpieces
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play-tested an XO Brass 1602s when I was shopping last year, and I thought it was a really nice trumpet. I chose a new Xeno and I've been very happy with it, but I think I would've been happy with the 1602s also.
Piccolo Stomvi
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Jupiters are ver nice horns, play well and a;l that, you are going to find that they have a VERY brought sound compared to a bog standard Bach, which was your issues ensemble playing. A Bach 72 wold be a much better bet to blend in your situations... sorry!

Buy in haste, repent at your leisure.

cheers

Andy
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter XO Reply with quote

trumpetlane wrote:
I like the sound of a good Bach but I don't really like the new ones (plus they are over priced) and they are so inconsistent.

Greg,

I am curious how many new Bach 37s you were able to play. Most people are finding it hard to find a shop with even one new horn these days.
marnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
While the Jupiters are ver nice horns, play well and a;l that, you are going to find that they have a VERY brought sound compared to a bog standard Bach, which was your issues ensemble playing. A Bach 72 wold be a much better bet to blend in your situations... sorry!

Buy in haste, repent at your leisure.

cheers

Andy

Well, that might be the case for you. But owning two XO-brass instruments, and play them profesionally I can say that I disagree with you.
The piccolo is a great instrument, and at that price it beats the most of the expensive horns in every aspect of playing.
The C trumpet I just bought is VERY up to the job, and hasn't let me down on anything I need in a C trumpet.

So I guess it's just the player...
XO brass picc
Yamaha 741 D
Back to good old GR 66L
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like a Bach but not the price you might consider looking for a used one. Another new horn to consider that could save you some cash is the B&S. I scored their 37 equivalent for my son it's a pretty good horn. We got it used for somewhere around $1K as I recall.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Fredrik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

I haven't played the XO1602s but I play the XO1600i and I also own a nice Bach 37. I personally prefer the XO. I know they are different kind of horns but the intonation, sound and feel of the XO just fits me better.

I'm not sure, but I think the bell of the 1600i and the Bach 37 is pretty similar and even though the 1600i has a smaller bore it blows more open and even through the register.

If you like the XO, I'd say go for it.

Take care

/F
Karonhiio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: REPLY re: Jupiter XO 1624 impression Reply with quote

trumpetlane wrote:
That's funny.... I just ordered the same trumpet from QuinntheEskimo as well! Killer price! Mine is arriving on Thursday. Let's compare notes.

Played the XO 1624 last night in the community band Xmas concert, but wasn't warmed up enough and the band has a "lot of spirit"...meaning that dynamics, intonation and musicality take a back seat to just getting the right notes for most of the band <sigh>...

...but I gave it a workout tonight. I like it a lot. It slots well, doesn't need a lot of alternate fingerings (maybe 4th space E is better with 1,2). It has a solid (alright, "Bach-like") feel, but isn't a mac truck at all - in fact, it's fairly light in weight considering its solid feel. Valves are very tight but smooth. It'll certainly do all I need it to do. And as for "bright" vs "dark", a deeper cup will solve that easily enough.

Even with the (ouch!!) 75 cent Canadian dollar, at $999 USD (brand new!) it was a bargain compared to just about everything else out there. Came with a *very* high-end case, too!

Your impressions?
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years ago, I played a silver 1602 for over a year as my main horn and I've been very pleased with it. I sold it to buy a Courtois EVO IV and I still regret that move. Jupiter make outstanding horns. Their piccolo trumpet is one of the best professional choice.

I would recommend you to trust your own feelings and experiences with the horns as you had the opportunity to try and compare a couple of horns. Many people here don't have the chance to do that.

I recently bought a baroque trumpet at a very cheap price. OK it's not an Egger, but for a beginner, it's not bad at all.

I did the same thing you did, I mean posting ang and asking the opinion of TH members. Although every guy who posts do it for helping, one guy - here! - didn't take into consideration the budget thing and strongly recommended me to forget this horn and save money ( for months, maybe for years ) to buy a big name baroque horn.

Finally I didn't take into account his opinion and bought the horn for about $300. At the end of the day, I have a decent baroque trumpet in hands who satisfies me rather than dreaming to get one in many many months. Thanks to my feeling!

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
Paul in GA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: XO 1602SR Reply with quote

I own both the XO 1602SR and the XO1600i. When I started back up earlier this year, after about thirty year layoff. I found my trusty Benge 5 was no longer the trumpet for me. I tried a lot of horns, Yamaha Xeno, Bach 37, 43 and anniversary models, Carol brass, SE Shires, Edwards....really anything I could get my hands on. I kept coming back to XO 1602SR.

I found a demo horn in Kentucky. Immediately fell in love with it. The price was right and it was brand new. So new, that I suspect it was a pre-production display case horn. After a couple of weeks, I had major sticking issues with all three valves. KHS/Jupiter paid for the repairs (minor lapping of the valves). After trying multiple configurations, I am back to the standard weight valve caps and D shaped tuning crook.

But here is the thing, while the horn was being repaired, I bought a demo 1600i from Quinn the Eskimo. That is now my main trumpet! Go figure.

The 1602S is a fantastic horn. You can't really go wrong.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up an XO Flugel from Quinn the Eskimo at an excellent price. I know it's not the trumpet you're asking about but my take on the Flugel might be pertinent.

The sound is wonderful, intonation pretty good, and the valves are quite nice. My only concern is the machining and plating; though it looks great right now the feel of the valve caps (the way the threading feels when removing the valves) gives me pause. This is where I feel the "cheapness" (for lack of words). Definitely doesn't feel like a top notch instrument (Bach, Schilke, Yamaha, or customs). I wonder how this will age.

For now I'm happy with my purchase. And for the $$, well worth it.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Nicobrown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get up this post about XO trumpet because I have some doubts about it.
I felt immediately in love with this broad sound and I have been playing an XO 1602s for almost one year now. However , I couldn't find the right mouthpiece combination yet.
With the square tuning slide, it feels very tight , especially in the upper register. Too closed for me. With the rounded one, the trumpet is really really more open. Upper register free blowing but in general , maybe too much for me. I can't slotting cleanly etc ...
Ideally, I would like something between.
Any XO player around there to share experiences and advices ?
For now , I have tried the XO with a 5C , 3C and 1.5C.
I came from an old Bach 72* with a stock Bach 5C mouthpiece.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicobrown wrote:
I get up this post about XO trumpet because I have some doubts about it.
I felt immediately in love with this broad sound and I have been playing an XO 1602s for almost one year now. However , I couldn't find the right mouthpiece combination yet.
With the square tuning slide, it feels very tight , especially in the upper register. Too closed for me. With the rounded one, the trumpet is really really more open. Upper register free blowing but in general , maybe too much for me. I can't slotting cleanly etc ...
Ideally, I would like something between.
Any XO player around there to share experiences and advices ?
For now , I have tried the XO with a 5C , 3C and 1.5C.
I came from an old Bach 72* with a stock Bach 5C mouthpiece.

An old thread resurrected. Nothing wrong with that, IMO, just many will continue to give advice to an OP who has probably moved on.

In my understanding there are many pieces that go into how a horn plays. The width and depth of the mouthpiece cup are only part of the equation.

Each of your mouthpieces probably have a slightly different gap due to manufacturing variations. This can have an effect.

The throat size of the mouthpiece can also have an effect.

While it may indeed be the horn, it is much cheaper to try some other changes than to replace the horn.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the 1600I XO Ingram model along with my 8310Z. I know that both of these horns are different than yours. I basically use the same Warburton top but use different backbores for the two horns. I use the square tuning slide. I did a valve alignment on the XO when I first got it. I did it myself. You may want to check that too.

Pete
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an XO 1602LTR. Killer! Can't say anything negative about it.
Nicobrown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type3B wrote:
I have an XO 1602LTR. Killer! Can't say anything negative about it.

Neither do I, just about me and my chops ...
With which combination are you playing it ?
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomvi 14A J6 with a #2 coupler. Almost all my playing is big band lead and first chair pops. This thing almost plays itself, which is a good thing, since I'm not that good a player!
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm way late too but I'll submit my 2 cents from experience.

I tried the 1602, 1604, and 1600i, and ended up with the 1600 i for 2 reasons:
1. It had the same .453 bore as my Martin Handcraft Imperial (I logic'd myself into this one)
2. It had a lot more core to the sound, so I thought it'd be a good alternative for musicals / classical where the Martin didn't fit.

I have to say, the only thing long term I didn't love was that the smaller bore didn't work for me in most of the settings I was using it in. While the small bore and large mouthpiece of my Martin / Heim combination was super comfortable for small group jazz, it didn't cut like I needed for a larger/louder group. I ended up finding out over time that I prefer smaller mouthpiece / larger horn for those gigs. Everything about the quality and fit/finish of the XO horn was, in my experience, on par with Yamaha or Bach.

My horn came with the tweed/leather hard case, and the case latches broke on mine. But I know a lot of the XO horns came in the backpack case, so YMMV.

Honestly, I'm looking at a Jupiter XO flugelhorn and/or C Trumpet because while the blow of the XO 1600i I purchased ended up not being my ideal fit, I found the quality and price/performance of the horn to be top notch. I paid nearly retail and my only disappointment is that I have moved on from it.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: