• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What happened to Walt Johnson cases?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: What happened to Walt Johnson cases? Reply with quote

Over a year ago I called them wanting a single trumpet case and a trumpet/flugelhorn case. They told me they were out of stock on the trumpet/flugelhorn case and discontinued the single. Now their website is completely offline... anyone have the scoop?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt Johnson closed the case business.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used single was just posted in marketplace.
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the old style Johnson, and was looking for the new style single...

Those cases were amazing and I would have hoped a bigger company would have bought the business and continued the line. The cases were really expensive but great cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...

At the risk of making my live even more complicated...

If someone who knows Walt wants to have him contact me, I'd be interested in seeing what he's got. I was aware that his website never really showed the "line," so I don't know what he really did other than a single, and I think I knew of a multi case and a sax case. But I'd guess he still has the molds, so it might be an easy thing for us to license.

We started making our old Coyote fiberglass boxes in-house a few weeks ago, so we're set up for that kind of dust now.

And if anyone is wondering, yes, the Velox is VERY close and the new Coyote is not far behind. The main battle is finding the time to work (my kids attend 2 different school districts -- it's awful getting them there and home).

But please, someone have Walt contact me. I'd entertain taking this on.
612-849-3574
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
...And if anyone is wondering, yes, the Velox is VERY close...

Great news! I'm interested to learn more.
Piccolo Stomvi
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
A used single was just posted in marketplace.

I think I know who posted that.....😉

Brad
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
So...

At the risk of making my live even more complicated...

If someone who knows Walt wants to have him contact me, I'd be interested in seeing what he's got. I was aware that his website never really showed the "line," so I don't know what he really did other than a single, and I think I knew of a multi case and a sax case. But I'd guess he still has the molds, so it might be an easy thing for us to license.

We started making our old Coyote fiberglass boxes in-house a few weeks ago, so we're set up for that kind of dust now.

And if anyone is wondering, yes, the Velox is VERY close and the new Coyote is not far behind. The main battle is finding the time to work (my kids attend 2 different school districts -- it's awful getting them there and home).

But please, someone have Walt contact me. I'd entertain taking this on.

Yes, make your life more complicated - please!

I called Walt up a few months ago wanting to buy the combo Trumpet/Flügelhorn case and that's when I found out he closed up shop. I'll send him a message regarding your interest.

As for the cases he offered, when he was in full swing (pardon the pun) he offered a full range of cases for brass, reeds, and also guitar and bass I think.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Walt Johnson cases... Reply with quote

My Walt Johnson single has seen some heavy duty over the years. It's unusual in that it has five locks. Rivets kept popping out and, luckily, various crew guys on various tours would repair it. There's a little "Walt Johnson Cases" badge on the case with a phone number. I called it once from the road to arrange to have it repaired. A woman with a thick Russian accent answered and told me in no uncertain terms that there was "No Walt! Russian restaurant!" Hahahahah! Walt himself eventually repaired the case remarking that it was a very old case and "Why is the inside so dirty?" I told him that it had been in every little Vaudeville theater in America...some time later, another rivet fell out and I emailed Walt. His response: "Do you want me to send you a rivet?" 😀 Hah!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 of Walt's cases (old & new-model single, trpt/flugel combo & trpt/flugel/piccolo combo) & love them all.

I've known Walt for years. Last time I saw him was just over a year ago when I was on the local hire band for Frank, Jr., in Englewood, NJ. Walt was awesome as always on the Lead book, and tons of fun to hang with. He did tell me the cases were no longer being made.

Not sure where they were first made, but the majority of them were made in Corona, CA. There was a move to Mexico, and I think he went back to Corona before calling it quits.

For a while he made a really cool variation with either red, blue or white stripes. He said those were a real bear to make, so not many were made.

And I'm fairly sure my trpt/flugel/piccolo combo is one of only a few that he put out.

At one time, the case web site listed all the cases (a full line of brass, all the saxes, plus guitar & bass) plus his mutes, his "Double High C in Ten Minutes" book and his CDs, but yes, in recent years, only the single was listed.

I know of a few buddies whose cases had issues, but fortunately mine are all still going strong.

Looks like the ultimate travel trumpet case is all in Mr. Kriesel's hands now!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Grizzle wrote:

And if anyone is wondering, yes, the Velox is VERY close and the new Coyote is not far behind.

So, when you say, "...not far behind", do you mean, like, shipping in, say, February?

I pre-ordered one back in May. I'm not complaining. Really. You've done a marvelous job of keeping everyone informed of what is going on and you put a face to the company, so I understand very well why I am waiting (the new technology has really been a challenge). In fact, I'm very comfortable waiting. Still, it is a new toy and you know how men are with their toys. I have a Loredo and can't wait to have a matching case for the flugelhorn (my flugelhorn is in the penalty box until I get a case to carry it in).

By the way, I love my leather Loredo. It's not just functional; it's masculine art. I love the old school craftsmanship. Also, very much unlike my trumpets, it never misbehaves. If only my playing were worthy of such exquisite accoutrements.

Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
...I was aware that his website never really showed the "line," so I don't know what he really did other than a single, and I think I knew of a multi case and a sax case...

My tuba colleague has a WJ tuba case he uses all the time and that he's had for decades.
He says it's hands down the best tuba hard case he's ever seen.
(i've got the shaped single trumpet.)

MvW.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Walt's cases Reply with quote

Before he went to LA we worked together here in Las Vegas for several years. When he started the case (and mutes) business I bought one of his trumpet/flugel cases which serves me well to this day. When I made my six Scodwell USA Harry James-King replicas naturally I wanted them to be sold with a case like Harry's. The case Harry used while I was with him was made for him by King and held two trumpets vertically with a fitted space for a fifth of Smirnoff between them. I really tried to duplicate that case but everyone I talked to needed an order of a hundred or more. Walt was still in the case business having moved from Corona to (close) to the Mexican border and his new workers made six cases for me to my similar HJ design covered in black leather and yes, I sent all six horns out with a fifth of Smirnoff. I went to see Frank Jr. at our performing arts center and had a good visit with Walt. Boy, did he sound good! Sadly, Frank, Jr. died shortly after and even sadder was the fact that his two sisters had denied Frank the opportunity to perform the "official" Frank Sinatra Tribute show wanting another singer in that position. The show I saw was wonderfull with Frank, Jr. having fought off a throat cancer scare a year earlier sounding better than I've ever heard him sound. The show was built around the big band and featured a rear projection of images in his fathers career. I LOVED the very first image that he showed and talked about...Frank Sinatra and Harry James, his first boss in 1939.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Walt Johnson cases... Reply with quote

Gregory Gilmore wrote:
My Walt Johnson single has seen some heavy duty over the years. It's unusual in that it has five locks. Rivets kept popping out and, luckily, various crew guys on various tours would repair it. There's a little "Walt Johnson Cases" badge on the case with a phone number. I called it once from the road to arrange to have it repaired. A woman with a thick Russian accent answered and told me in no uncertain terms that there was "No Walt! Russian restaurant!" Hahahahah! Walt himself eventually repaired the case remarking that it was a very old case and "Why is the inside so dirty?" I told him that it had been in every little Vaudeville theater in America...some time later, another rivet fell out and I emailed Walt. His response: "Do you want me to send you a rivet?" 😀 Hah!

Two trumpet players, both of whom played for the Wolfgang Bocksch Grease das Musical tours, and both of whom carry their horns in Walt Johnson Single Cases. Coincidence? I think not!!!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
And I'm fairly sure my trpt/flugel/piccolo combo is one of only a few that he put out.

A Walt Johnson Trpt/Flugel/Pic?!?! OMG, the Holy Grail of cases!!!!
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two single cases that I bought used a few years ago
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

A Walt Johnson Trpt/Flugel/Pic?!?! OMG, the Holy Grail of cases!!!!

Oh yeah!

I've seen only one other with that configuration. Walt had a table at the 1998 IAJE Conference in Anaheim & one was on display. For all I know...this could be that case! Got it on eBay for $250. Fairly simple idea - he used 2 of the bottom shells, and the accessory compartment that is in the lid of the trpt/flugel combo was fit for a long-bell piccolo.

Bob Findlay has one where the space for the mute & oil had either been converted to or was made to hold a short-bell picc.

Supposedly it was Rick Baptist and his having to fly to Provo, UT to tape the Donnie & Marie TV show, who was the inspiration for Walt's case. Rick bought a Zero Haliburton case & cut some foam so that it'd hold trumpet, flugel &I think piccolo so that he could carry it on the plane. Walt saw that case & took it from there.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Vizzutti had a Zero Haliburton like that back in the early 80s when he was in LA

that was a very hip case back then
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I like about my singles is they are a terrific crowd "mover."

If I'm walking in Times Square or any other tourist-packed area, I find that a little nudge on person's leg with the case will get them to move from in front of me without me having to say a word.

Also a great crowd blocker for getting on subways!

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
One thing I like about my singles is they are a terrific crowd "mover."

If I'm walking in Times Square or any other tourist-packed area, I find that a little nudge on person's leg with the case will get them to move from in front of me without me having to say a word.

Also a great crowd blocker for getting on subways!

Back in the day when we went to the store to shop at Christmas, I used to try to purchase something light in a large box with sharp corners. If you walk with the corner point out and avoid meeting people's eyes the crowds magically part in front of you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: