• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaquesmetz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

Hi TH'ers! Happy New Year!

I need help! I'm an amateur player, and I don't have access to a good trumpet teacher..

I play trumpet for 23 years, and after a dental treatment, all the mouthpieces I tried don't work after the "honey moon".

I believe that the mouthpiece for Bb and C trumpet need to keep the same rim and cup, but the throat and backbore must change.

Recently I realized that all the struggle may come from one reason: I had learned to play on C trumpet, instead of learning on Bb and play on C trumpet when I got all the fundamentals set up.

Any help is appreciated!
Piccolo: Selmer 360B
-------------------------------------------
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they work during the "honeymoon" then it's probably chop confusion, pick one you like and stick with it.

Perpetual safari doesn't work, you need something to compare back to and something that works.

Dental work can throw everything out of whack, there's no substitute for taking your practice back to basics on ONE piece and building back up. Don't pressure yourself to run before you can walk.
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Reply with quote

GR.

jaquesmetz wrote:
Hi TH'ers! Happy New Year!

I need help! I'm an amateur player, and I don't have access to a good trumpet teacher..

I play trumpet for 23 years, and after a dental treatment, all the mouthpieces I tried don't work after the "honey moon".

I believe that the mouthpiece for Bb and C trumpet need to keep the same rim and cup, but the throat and backbore must change.

Recently I realized that all the struggle may come from one reason: I had learned to play on C trumpet, instead of learning on Bb and play on C trumpet when I got all the fundamentals set up.

Any help is appreciated!
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am perhaps not best to comment but I feel there are some details that would be useful for knowledgeable members to know.

How long ago was the dental treatment.

Have you purchased a bunch of new and different mouthpieces trying to find one that works.

Did any mouthpieces work during the honeymoon period at all or did they all fail.

What mouthpieces have you tried.

How long have you been trying the mouthpieces.

What do you mean by the mouthpieces dont work.

I havent asked about the actual treatment but anything you feel able to say might be helpful, for example if there is pain associated with playing now that might be helpful to know.

I think that a chat to your dentist might be helpful to discuss the issues.
ravel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with your old equipment that you used before. Play play play. By now you should know what you want to sound like. It will come back with time, have patience. I went through the same thing. Things better than ever now.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'd say; get a C horn and whatever MP you used when you were a beginner, play softly and play stuff you like, and build up slowly.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Gary Radtke:
GR Technologies was built around a face reconstruction and we have helped others past it.

Probably your old equipment won't work.

"I need help! I'm an amateur player, and I don't have access to a good trumpet teacher."

---There are many great teachers available on Skype, Google, Mac etc.

"I play trumpet for 23 years, and after a dental treatment, all the mouthpieces I tried don't work after the "honey moon".

---Stop, your body can't do what it did so you need to develop new tools. Intensity, duration, and frequency is what the body understands. How hard, how long, and how often. You need to blow your face into place and we have drills for that at GR. After such a dental thing don't expect your previous equipment to work as it almost never does. Why, because it was wrong before and now that you are weaker it will cause an overuse injury. Are you still playing the GR 3 Series?
Start with only one horn. The one you are most at home with or make the most money with.

"I believe that the mouthpiece for Bb and C trumpet need to keep the same rim and cup, but the throat and backbore must change."

---One horn at a time. There could be other issues. Send us a video as per Brian's instructions. We can help you with the same drills that brought Gary Radtke back from dental surgery and not being able to play any longer.

"Recently I realized that all the struggle may come from one reason: I had learned to play on C trumpet,"

---That probably isn't a concern as much as a mismatch between, player, mouthpiece, and trumpet. See GR's 3 Rules of Brass Playing. We have helped people totally messed up from braces to implants.

Gary radtke
www.grmouthpieces.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: