• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for a 3/1.5C

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Looking for a 3/1.5C Reply with quote

I'm looking for a classical mouthpiece with basically a Bach 3 rim and 1.5C cup.
I thought about the following:
GR 3MX
Frost custom brass custom piece

Any suggestions?
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 3/1.5C Reply with quote

GR will be the most accurate.
Reeves is also a possibility.

Martinharris wrote:
I'm looking for a classical mouthpiece with basically a Bach 3 rim and 1.5C cup.
I thought about the following:
GR 3MX
Frost custom brass custom piece

Any suggestions?
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many makers can do similar work (do a search for custom mouthpieces), it really depends heavily on what you're used to and what exactly it is that you want out of the piece.

Also what you're willing to pay: do you want an exact scan of a particular rim and a particular cup, do you want a custom piece along those lines, or do you want something off the shelf that fits the bill
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you also want a "classical" backbore you should try the Schilke Symphony M3. For me it feels like a smallish 3C rim with a deeper cup, more akin to the 1.5C, with a Schmitt backbore.

Otherwise, have Reeves marry a preferred rim to a preferred underpart.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Schilke M3C, that is really close to what Youre looking for.

Regards
Bach Stradivarius Artisan Piccolo
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the schilke M3C sounds perfect but one guy made a review that the rim is sharp?? Is that true?
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
I agree the schilke M3C sounds perfect but one guy made a review that the rim is sharp?? Is that true?

Well, one guy might play one and think the rim is sharp. Another guy might play it and not think the rim is sharp. The way to find out is try one for yourself. There is one for $25 in an ad from Baltimore Brass in the marketplace. Can't go wrong at that price.
JMWTpt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Looking for a 3/1.5C Reply with quote

Not to suggest a new safari but based on my experiences, you may try a Curry 3B. It is deeper than the Curry 3C and only slightly deeper than a Curry 1.5C. I find no discernable change in endurance or range compared to the 3C, but I get the sound I was looking for (using a Schilke B5).

Good luck, John
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the Schilke 3 rim is the closest thing to a modern Bach 3C rim. Including all Reeves sizes and Mark Curry 3 rim ( with a dot).
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my lips, the modern Bach 3 rim feels a whole lot like the Bach 1.5 rim. When someone states that they want to put a Bach 3 rim on a 1.5C underpart I just assume that they are looking for a 3 rim that is consequentially smaller than the modern 3C/1.5C rim.

I agree that the Schilke Symphony 3 rim fits that bill. I've not found a standard Schilke that does. The other common piece that feels like a smallish Bach 3C to me is the Yamaha 14B4.

And while there's no consensus I think the Yamaha 16C4 feels closest to the Bach 1.5C while the Yamaha 14B4 feels closest to the older/smaller vintage Bach 3C.

I sort of like the Curry 3-size pieces I've played but to me they feel too close in ID to a Bach 1.5, with or without the dot.
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
To my lips, the modern Bach 3 rim feels a whole lot like the Bach 1.5 rim. When someone states that they want to put a Bach 3 rim on a 1.5C underpart I just assume that they are looking for a 3 rim that is consequentially smaller than the modern 3C/1.5C rim.

I agree that the Schilke Symphony 3 rim fits that bill. I've not found a standard Schilke that does. The other common piece that feels like a smallish Bach 3C to me is the Yamaha 14B4.

And while there's no consensus I think the Yamaha 16C4 feels closest to the Bach 1.5C while the Yamaha 14B4 feels closest to the older/smaller vintage Bach 3C.

I sort of like the Curry 3-size pieces I've played but to me they feel too close in ID to a Bach 1.5, with or without the dot.

+1
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

Hi cheiden

I've only briefly once tried a Bach 1 1/2C cornet mouthpiece, so cannot really comment on how a larger variant Bach 3C rim feels compared to a Bach 1 1/2C rim.

I like large variant Bach 3Cs. A UK mouthpiece tech who put a copy of my 3C rim on a DW4B cornet mouthpiece confirmed that my Bach 3C has the diameter of a typical 1 1/2C.

Even though the Yamaha 14B4 feels smaller than my Bach 3C, I still feel that the Yamaha 14B4 feels more like my 3C than the Yamaha 16C4 does.

What point am I trying to make? I'm saying that in my personal experience, even though larger variant Bach 3Cs have a cup diameter along the lines of the Bach 1 1/2C/Yamaha 16C4, to my lips the Yamaha 14B4 feels more similar to my larger variant Bach 3C.

I suppose that this is owing to the Yamaha B cup depth and alpha angle being more similar to the cup depth and alpha angle of a Bach 3C, owing to the Bach 3C being one of the shallowest C cups.

Therefore in consideration of what the OP is looking for, I reckon that the deeper Yamaha 14C4 may better meet his criteria of a mouthpiece with the rim of a Bach 3C but the depth of a Bach 1 1/2C.

I also agree with the suggestion of the Schilke M3C.

I haven't played a Curry 3-size without the dot, but yes I agree that they feel more like a large variant Bach 3C and along the line of a Bach 1 1/2C.

Although the OP has I believe said on previous threads that he is looking for a smaller variant 3C rim, he hasn't on this thread, only that he is looking for a Bach 3C-style rim combined with a Bach 1 1/2C cup, which to me suggests that he is looking for a deeper 3C rather than necessarily a smaller variant.

Hopefully he will clarify what he is looking for.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider the Blackburn 3C. If you contact Pickett Brass they'd be able to give you more info about it.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2C? - see PM
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On then topic of looking for a 1 1/2C cup combined with a 3C rim, my suggestion is STILL to try the Schilke M3C. In comparing the Bach 3C cup and the Schilke M3C I find that the M3C cup is bigger than on the Bach.

Im not a spec/tech Guy and its just a suggestion.

Regards
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiofiiipopes wrote:
A 2C? - see PM

As I recall, the 2C feels very different from the 3C. To me the 6C feels 3C-ish, just smaller.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDK-97 wrote:
On then topic of looking for a 1 1/2C cup combined with a 3C rim, my suggestion is STILL to try the Schilke M3C. In comparing the Bach 3C cup and the Schilke M3C I find that the M3C cup is bigger than on the Bach.

From the Schilke website I'm seeing that the difference between the two are the drill and back bore. The cups seem the same.
M3 - "Slightly smaller ‘3’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup, 24 throat and Schmidt backbore."

M3C - "NEW – lightly smaller ‘3’ Rim diameter, standard bowl shape “C” cup with tighter 27 throat and Schilke C backbore."

FWIW I'm starting to get some good results with the M3. The caveat being that I needed to get it sleeved to fit and gap right in my Bach. The M3D (tighter Schmitt) I had didn't work for me at all.
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jaysonr,
I can't find the m3C or the Baltimore Brass marketplace
Can you help please?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
Hey jaysonr,
Can you help please?

Hi Martin

Obviously, I'm not jaysonr, but here goes:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=82999&s=Mouthpiece-Blowout-Sale-

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Martinharris wrote:
Hey jaysonr,
Can you help please?

Hi Martin

Obviously, I'm not jaysonr, but here goes:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=82999&s=Mouthpiece-Blowout-Sale-

Take Care

Lou

Yes, that's the one. Thanks Lou!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: