• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Callet X5 (vintage) vs Civiletti TCE 3 Custom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Callet X5 (vintage) vs Civiletti TCE 3 Custom Reply with quote

After playing MF mouthpieces on Bb trumpet several years now as an amateur I changed to cornet since September 2016 with a teacher. After experiencing several cookie cutter cornet rims I landed with a Bach MT Vernon 12 B: this was a great change from MF high alpha angles and sloping rims setup on to low alpha angle cornet setup of ourse.

Since 2nd of December 2016 I tried some high note trumpet playing again using a new Callet X5: this was marvelous. Short time later since 8th of December 2016 I got a TCE 3 custom which I played exclusively until 31.12.2016. After a new year rest of 3 days I tried it again faced some problems and took the X5 again - this was marvelous again: less air, easier resonance.

I found the inner edge of the TCE 3 to be too sharp for me and the rim to flat and wide. May be the change from no rim edge at all (MF design) to that design was to desperate. The X5 is near to modified MF v-cup designs I like (like Stomvi GHM VR HG) but it has very narrow bore and a great lead sound which is easy to achieve. I found if one can play easy, soft and with less air without pressure over one octave at a time and attain the high register mostly effortless - both: slurred and articulated....that is it.

The X5 will be my companion further on now.
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback on this topic shakuhachi (across various topics... this response could easily belong in three different places).

TBH it's all a bit of a mindfield. I've not tried the X5 but will certainly keep my eyes peeled for one in 2nd-hand circles. As you've said, the rim of the 1SS could end up being very similar to that of the TCE3.

At times I can't decide whether I prefer the rim of the TCE3 or SC3 - maybe the X5 [i]or[/] 1SS could be the answer! I'm not looking for any new gear at the moment though...

Do you not use the MF-types any more then? I'm still getting a bit of benefit from using the ones I have (Warburton MF and LN X-Piece). I find they help me to stop closing the aperture when going beyond "G over high C". It's not too dissimilar from the benefit of doing Jerry's einsetzen/ansetzen exercises actually...

Last question - have you ever used a Callet SOLO mouthpiece? I had one of those for a while and got my first DHCs on it. The reason I ask is because that's a fairly V-shaped cup, but without the high-alpha-style rim...

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you not use the MF-types any more then? I'm still getting a bit of benefit from using the ones I have (Warburton MF and LN X-Piece). I find they help me to stop closing the aperture when going beyond "G over high C". It's not too dissimilar from the benefit of doing Jerry's einsetzen/ansetzen exercises actually...

Last question - have you ever used a Callet SOLO mouthpiece? I had one of those for a while and got my first DHCs on it. The reason I ask is because that's a fairly V-shaped cup, but without the high-alpha-style rim...

I agree that MF pieces help to not close the aperture and they help in developing the best coordination of the whole blowing system for sure.

I still use the modified MF GH mouthpiece of the 50th from Stomvi in addition to my X5 - they are very close: Stomvi Flex GHM HG VR. I came to this after emailing with Jim Manley about his Stomvi piece. He told me that the GHM is currently his best tool. I asked him while I was looking at his JimFlex vs LynnFlex I own.

So I use defenitly still a MF style mouthpiece but with a bit of inner rim: not a complete sloping of the rim into the v-cup as the originals.

Second Question: I have the Callet SOLO as well and played it - a very fine piece - but I like more a bit narrower configurations.

Anyway the Stomvi GHM is a bit narrower then the original MF 50th GH and as the Stomvi GH as well which should be close to other GH models.

So I own and have played about 18 derivates and originals of Maynard pieces so far - I am a MF mouthpiece geek because they are magic. They all are around .600 id I like.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: I have a callet Buddy X5 Reply with quote

And I have 1 in 24 throat 1 in 27 and 1 in Callets 29. The 24 is a drilled 27 and this MP is a marvel. I didn't realize how much the tight throat was choking my sound. BTW Jim New has the specs for this MP and can make an exact copy. Just specify a 24 throat. It plays big and high and has a deep lower register, best mp Ive played. I like them narrow but with a deeper cup and this is it. I started using it for higher register, but it improved everything. The drill from 27 to 24 was done a size at a time but this seems to be it for me. I was stopped at hi e as a real usable note but g came strong almost right away, and everything is just bolder in timbre.
Rod
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is the Callet forum, it's important to point out that Mr. Callet's findings and recommendations are opposite Rod's. Mr Callet firmly urges players to start no larger than a 27 throat. Then, proceed to 28 and 29 as embouchure development permits. To go larger encourages the player to blow more air. For a short while, this may allow a player to wrestle a few more notes to the ground. But as extra air blows the lips more forward and more spread, it becomes much more difficult to develop an advanced embouchure.

Overblowing and spreading the sound are the two biggest hurdles to development that I see (i.e. hear). And these are two very difficult issues to reverse, especially overblowing. I got rid of all horns and mouthpieces except those that actually discourage overblowing as well as spread. This has been a huge benefit for me in range and power, and far more in endurance.

Best to all, Kyle
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Just saw this Reply with quote

Not trying to dispute anything he says Kyle, just that it worked for me. I said it was a marvelous piece, just that it choked me off quite a bit. And that an Exact copy was available via Jim New MP's. Obviously if we were all the same we would all use the same things and the same things would work for us all. I can live with the fact that we do not play in the same way but can use the same mp. I would still use the Buddy at 29 throat but it sounds so much better on me with a 24. Just passing on good info- no offense to the spit buzz crowd.
Rod
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(edited)

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/

Last edited by trumpetplanet on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Fair enough Reply with quote

I will post ( or refrain from posting) any variances I have with Callet equipment in the equipment section (horns or mouthpieces) to avoid any distractions to the Callet forum. I shall respect the Callet reputation as I have thus far - right Kyle?
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: