• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams v Monette v Taylor

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Adams v Monette v Taylor Reply with quote

Hey all, I had a lovely opportunity to play an Adams A4 this week when in NYC. Just an amazing horn, I have never experienced the resonance and feedback playing that this horn provided.

This got me on path of wondering how similar / different these custom horns are. They each seem to have a similar design aesthetic with some of their lines.

So, my question IS NOT what is best... more along the lines, what are they known for and how might they be different? How might they be similar? Has anyone played these three and can offer any insights?
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played and owned all three. Multiple versions of each (maybe 4 Taylors, 9 Monettes, and far too many Adams)

I'm highly biased as you might know... I feel the Adams are the best quality made horns (handmade and 100% in-house), fairly priced, and the best customer service I have ever experienced.

I still own an STC4 Monette but never play it. My A4 crushes it in every way. Better in-tune, better centering, easier to play, much more versatile sound shape, and MUCH better made.

I can't comment on the new Taylor horns with Getzen blocks although I am super happy to see him no longer using Carol Blocks (they are fine blocks but not on 5K horns IMO... we have horns in shop with Carol valves for around 1K).

-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a few Adams, and man I love the valves. As far as quality control I think they are at the top of the game.

I want a tricked out A5-ish horn with some more traditional Besson/Benge mods. Soon....
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a sense that I'll be giving some business to Trent later this year, that Adams was nuts. What a dream.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:

I still own an STC4 Monette but never play it. My A4 crushes it in every way. Better in-tune, better centering, easier to play, much more versatile sound shape, and MUCH better made.

-T

I'm surprised to see you write this. It might be true, I don't know. I've just never seen you write something like this.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Adams Reply with quote

Sounds like Trent Austin is just providing an honest assessment to me.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Providing a very general answer to the question - I find the Adams horns to be the most balanced of the 3 brands mentioned. By balanced, I mean easy of play, intonation, sound quality, etc. I have not played any recent Taylor's so my opinion may be a bit dated.
I have not owned an A4, so I can't be very specific about that model. I have played a couple and, for my taste, prefer the A1. But, that's just me.

If this conversation were about flugels, my opinion would be:
1) Adams
2) Everybody else
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's thought. Trent stated his bias, and I do appreciate his insights. I don't know much about Taylors, they don't seem to get as much press as some of the other custom horns.
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the above comments, it amazes me you have to give 2 arms and a leg for a Monette horn that's not lightyears away from mass produced horns. Just better...and equal if not busted by way more affordable boutique horns.

Just a matter of prestige or what?

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jojocat wrote:
After reading the above comments, it amazes me ...

There is only one way to learn if a horn is the best one for you, and that is to play it. Other people's comments do not tell you that. I have played dozens of horns over the 50+ years I have been playing, all different brands, including Adams etc etc. Many were wonderful instruments. When I played Ron Miles' new Monette Cornette, I knew I had found the instrument I had always been looking for. I got one for myself, and it has changed my musical life dramatically. I could care less about brand prestige. As for money, I saved for decades before I could afford to buy the Monette. But it is by far the most suitable horn for me, to play my kind of music. I don't say it's "the best" horn. There is no such thing, except the one that's best for you…. Thanks for listening.

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djpearlman wrote:
jojocat wrote:

There is only one way to learn if a horn is the best one for you, and that is to play it. Other people's comments do not tell you that. I have played dozens of horns over the 50+ years I have been playing, all different brands, including Adams etc etc. Many were wonderful instruments. When I played Ron Miles' new Monette Cornette, I knew I had found the instrument I had always been looking for. I got one for myself, and it has changed my musical life dramatically. I could care less about brand prestige. As for money, I saved for decades before I could afford to buy the Monette. But it is by far the most suitable horn for me, to play my kind of music. I don't say it's "the best" horn. There is no such thing, except the one that's best for you…. Thanks for listening.

Really happy you found THE horn. We all are in search of the magical one. It's just ne, but spending so much money exceeds a bit my understanding. Again, it's me. My everyday horse cost me less than 1K and after trying dozens, I'm in paradise with this little beast.

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you, and congrats on the Monette, I'm sure it's a dream! My OP was mostly around what are they elite horns known for? I'm looking to try a Taylor sometime soon, the Monette I'll try in a decade. I'm afraid I'd love it and I can't afford to love it. The Adams was just amazing and this aroused curiosity in similarities and differences in these custom horns as they have aesthetics that 'seem' to overlap (visually).
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jojocat wrote:
djpearlman wrote:
jojocat wrote:

Really happy you found THE horn. We all are in search of the magical one. It's just ne, but spending so much money exceeds a bit my understanding. Again, it's me. My everyday horse cost me less than 1K and after trying dozens, I'm in paradise with this little beast.

I read back through your old posts. From your posts, you've been playing the trumpet for about 4 years on fairly inexpensive trumpets. You have bashed Monette on previous threads which seems a little odd for a bigenner.

I'm thinking when you say "my everyday horse cost me less than 1K and after trying dozens, I'm in paradise with this little beast" you should have added, for my level of experience.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only played the 3 on a cursory level, but as someone that has performed next to and played above and below several players on each of these I have a definite opinion. So, no insight into their playability nor construction BUT....

I'd much rather sit next to an Adams than either of the other two. Easier to blend with and much less work to play in tune. Yes, the player and mouthpiece with have influence but, in my experience, Monette's sounds are too unique (ponderous and singular in overtones) and the Taylor's are just funky in tone or intonation.
Ultimately, it comes down to what produces the sound you want and the playability that you like.

good luck.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to try a Monette. I'll never be able to afford one, but I'd sure love to try one out once.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan you sound really fantastic on the Cornette!

I know after a super long search you have found your dream horn and IMO that is all that matters. For me I feel like I am currently the closest to that with my newest horn (and after recording today I think it's reallllly close).

Be it a Bundy or a Besson finding the best horn that works for YOU is the most important thing.
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
PakWaan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Taylor Standard LB. I'm smitten with the way it sounds, the way it plays, the way it looks, and those amazing Bauerfeind valves. I sold all my Committees (including the unicorn large bore '40 Handcraft Committee) and all my Olds and kept the Taylor.

I'm going to have to give Trent some money as soon as I decide between an Adams A4, A4 LT and A9 and then I can contrast them. But the Adams will have to be an amazing horn to replace the Taylor.
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
jojocat wrote:
djpearlman wrote:
jojocat wrote:

I read back through your old posts. From your posts, you've been playing the trumpet for about 4 years on fairly inexpensive trumpets. You have bashed Monette on previous threads which seems a little odd for a bigenner.

I'm thinking when you say "my everyday horse cost me less than 1K and after trying dozens, I'm in paradise with this little beast" you should have added, for my level of experience.

You've spotted yet another self-proclaimed TH "expert." There are a lot of 'em on here.
Justin_Smith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:

Be it a Bundy or a Besson finding the best horn that works for YOU is the most important thing.

Hit the nail on the head. There is no right or wrong answer. There is no one horn for everyone.
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
I know after a super long search you have found your dream horn and IMO that is all that matters….

Thanks Trent, for your comments. We are in full agreement. - dan

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: