• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

short shank trumpet mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACB also has some short shank trumpet mouthpieces.

I've got a ACB MV3C 24C. Works great on my C trumpet.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Hammond Design to the list.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that short shank mps generally have large throats and are helpful to classical players. Will they work well for commercial players?
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Monette player, my understanding is that shortening the shank is done to correctly proportion the taper of the backbore with the overall length of the horn. When everything is in the right proportion, the intonation of the whole system improves and you get more in-tune overtones which provides more resonance/less acoustic interference.

This is obviously more often relevant to classical players that tend to play more on shorter horns in higher keys, but it's worth noting that Monette Bb mouthpieces are shorter that Bachs/Yamaha's etc. Monette's claim is that typical Bach, etc. pieces are actually closer to Trumpet in A proportions.

I'm am unsure of how the throat plays into that equation, but plenty of great jazz/commercial players play on Monette and he has a wide variety of cups/backbores tailormade for that kind of work.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
MahlerMAD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Schilke short shank Reply with quote

Hello🎺
I’ve got a Schilke Symphony F1 trumpet mouthpiece, it’s a short shank/deep cup design that plays lovely 😃. So you might want to check out the Schilke Symphony F range 👍.

Kind regards,
Donald 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
I have read that short shank mps generally have large throats and are helpful to classical players. Will they work well for commercial players?

Dizzy used to cut and file down his mouthpieces to get the immediacy of response and evenness throughout octaves that he preferred. While that work was more ad hoc and exploratory, modern manufacturers have made something of a science of this. Below I saw a response about flugel-like mpcs where the system is balanced out to play reasonably in-tune on a trumpet by shortening the overall length of the shank. Then, the large throats that you mention may be a reference to Monette equipment, which I’m quite familiar with:

With Monette, it is also about balancing out all elements of the system. As a very general rule, the higher the key horn, Monette mouthpieces get shorter in overall length. Additionally, a standard throat on a (classical) Bb mouthpiece may be something like a 17, while the same rim/cup are balanced out with a 15 throat on C trumpet. This is very general, however, as I don’t believe my D or Eb mouthpieces sport even larger throats, and I can attest to the fact that Picc mpcs (among the shortest Monette makes) don’t continue this trend to oblivion - they’re typically a little smaller than Bb mpcs of comparable rims and cups.

Happy buzzzzzing!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="James Becker"]
coraltrpt wrote:
Not to resurrect this topic, but what is the overall advantage of making your, let's say Eb-trumpet, mouthpiece into a short shank?

Does this improve intonation?

Thanks to Aurthur Benade http://acousticalsociety.org/about/awards/gold/12_10_10_benade
and put into practice by David Monette, the idea behind key specific length mouthpieces is to shift the alignment of open partials so problematic pitches like 5th partial (4th space E) are more in tune (not flat).

Not to steal Mark Curry's thunder, some twenty years ago we were the first to convert Marc Reese's Bach mouthpieces. At that time Marc was new to Empire Brass and was seeking a way to acclimate to Bach equipment after spending several years playing Monette. For us the logical solution was to modify Marc's Bach mouthpieces in order to provide the scale he had grown accustomed to. Since then we've converted countless mouthpieces for Marc and his students.

Thought I'd chime in here as well.

As far as Curry TF and TC cups go, shortening the blank was an absolute necessity getting those deep cups with larger throats to play remotely in tune.

But using this technique on more normal cup depths escaped me until Ken Larson came to me some years ago. He had Frankensteined a mouthpiece to the shorter length, but with a normal 27 throat. It had a custom backbore exit diameter and slightly oversized shank to produce the correct gap for that setup. It wasn't until he played it for me that I saw the wisdom in this approach. Beautifully controlled sound and response with minimal adjusting. That design became the RP model he sells today. I will offer this shank as an option as a one-piece model and a two-piece backbore section later this year.

mc
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="James Becker"]
coraltrpt wrote:
Not to resurrect this topic, but what is the overall advantage of making your, let's say Eb-trumpet, mouthpiece into a short shank?

Does this improve intonation?

Thanks to Aurthur Benade http://acousticalsociety.org/about/awards/gold/12_10_10_benade
and put into practice by David Monette, the idea behind key specific length mouthpieces is to shift the alignment of open partials so problematic pitches like 5th partial (4th space E) are more in tune (not flat).

Not to steal Mark Curry's thunder, some twenty years ago we were the first to convert Marc Reese's Bach mouthpieces. At that time Marc was new to Empire Brass and was seeking a way to acclimate to Bach equipment after spending several years playing Monette. For us the logical solution was to modify Marc's Bach mouthpieces in order to provide the scale he had grown accustomed to. Since then we've converted countless mouthpieces for Marc and his students.

Thought I'd chime in here as well.

As far as Curry TF and TC cups go, shortening the blank was an absolute necessity getting those deep cups with larger throats to play remotely in tune.

But using this technique on more normal cup depths escaped me until Ken Larson came to me some years ago. He had Frankensteined a mouthpiece to the shorter length, but with a normal 27 throat. It had a custom backbore exit diameter and slightly oversized shank to produce the correct gap for that setup. It wasn't until he played it for me that I saw the wisdom in this approach. Beautifully controlled sound and response with minimal adjusting. That design became the RP model he sells today. I will offer this shank as an option as a one-piece model and a two-piece backbore section later this year.

mc
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing a fair bit of piccolo trumpet, and curious about getting a shorter trumpet shank mouthpiece. It's hard to negotiate through all sorts of marketing fluff, but ultimately any mouthpiece that helps intonation, stamina and high range is helpful on a piccolo.

My question for those that have tried them, does a short shank result in the tuning slide coming out further than with a regular length trumpet mouthpiece?
Joh Pintu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will offer this shank as an option as a one-piece model and a two-piece backbore section later this year.

Have you some news about this option?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: