• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do you guys do

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New teacher doesn't think I have to start all over again like the former one did. He gives me a lot more technical stuff and improvisation work and says the technique will place itself through time, confidence and focusing only on air and center of attack of the note. Do you guys agree with that? Seems like something suitable for long term improvement without impairing musicality and musical goals
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Back when I first learned trumpet, I wasn't aware that there were different schools of thought for trumpet playing. Everyone learned the basics pretty much the same way it seemed, then some trumpeters would tend to favor either jazz or orchestral style playing (although many continued to play both).

So I don't think it's necessary that you align yourself with one school of teaching or another. You can if you want, but you really don't have to. Once I became aware of these different approaches, I did take the time to learn about them to see what they htave to offer, but I don't get into debates over which is better.

I think you could do very well if you continue to develop fundamental skills and play music, preferably in ensembles. And you'll do even better if you avoid common mistakes that many trumpet students make, like

(1) spending too much time playing at the very edge of your capabilities rather than a balanced approach to continue to make your fundamental skills stronger while testing yourself every so often,

(2) playing too much after exhaustion, and

(3) playing too loud all the time, rather than developing your ability to play well at all dynamics, especially very soft.
Thanks
Hope this helps. Good luck!

This is good advice!!!
Cola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
dstdenis wrote:
Back when I first learned trumpet, I wasn't aware that there were different schools of thought for trumpet playing. Everyone learned the basics pretty much the same way it seemed, then some trumpeters would tend to favor either jazz or orchestral style playing (although many continued to play both).

So I don't think it's necessary that you align yourself with one school of teaching or another. You can if you want, but you really don't have to. Once I became aware of these different approaches, I did take the time to learn about them to see what they htave to offer, but I don't get into debates over which is better.

I think you could do very well if you continue to develop fundamental skills and play music, preferably in ensembles. And you'll do even better if you avoid common mistakes that many trumpet students make, like

(1) spending too much time playing at the very edge of your capabilities rather than a balanced approach to continue to make your fundamental skills stronger while testing yourself every so often,

(2) playing too much after exhaustion, and

(3) playing too loud all the time, rather than developing your ability to play well at all dynamics, especially very soft.
Thanks
Hope this helps. Good luck!

This is good advice!!!

I already do that.

1)I divide my practice into 3-4 practice sessions of 40 minutes each combining 2 technical exercices (David Zauder method) to set me up and ensemble music/improvisation. This makes me work both my fundamentals and doesn't leave any music out of sight.

2) That is still to work on, especially on busy days.
3) Actually I play too soft all the time!
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what different mouthpieces have you tried?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: