• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lawler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajomdahl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone looking for a great, not adequate or brand-name horn should really check out Roy Lawler's horns. I just took delivery of a TL-5 with a 1a leadpipe, and it is without a doubt, the most superior horn I've ever played! As a student of Claude Gordon, I've played Benges, and most recently a Schilke S-32. This Lawler slots amazingly, is IN TUNE, and almost plays itself. The price is very competitive. It's worth a look, I assure you! I'm most likely going to have a TL-6 built for jazz gigs. The TL-5 is going to be an outstanding lead horn, to be sure!
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TL-5/1A is my favorite Lawler setup. Still saving my pennies and trying to develop enough talent to feel worthy of one. . I like it with a the heavy bell too :^) You may want to just have your horn converted into a screw bell if you want to try different bells.

Tim
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have Roy do the STS conversion. You will be amazed at the the response and how different bells change the sound and slotting. Roy made a Bach 37 bell to add to my TL6r-1a. It allows me to play in my section at church and match perfectly when playing an anthem or use the 6r bell for the contemporary and jazz stuff. The bells also slot differently. The Bach 37 has tighter slots and a "dirtier" sound (not as clear in the center).
The 6r bell can be warm and smokey but also sizzle when you put on the gas, while the slots are easier to slur or color. The 6r bell still has solid slots, but is more of a jazz bell.

I thought the STS conversion might make the horn stuffy. It does not change the blow, but somehow has made a very responsive horn even more responsive. I can make the horn speak faster and sing easily. The STS is worth the time and money.
Lawler TL6r1a
Schilke 1040 flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: