• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Schools in Texas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Lubbock? Good luck!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may throw a name out there even thought the list is chosen. Southern Methodist University with Tom Booth and Ryan Anthony is looking pretty awesome.
rbtrpt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texastrumpet12

I hope you'll email me for more information about our program at the University of Texas at Arlington. We have a very fine program, three experienced trumpet teachers, and all the ensembles you'd find at any school.

Our Wind Symphony just performed at TMEA in February, our Jazz Bands have travelled to Germany (twice) and Hawaii (twice) in the past four years, and our Orchestra has performed Firebird, Pictures, and Shostakovich 5 this year. Not bad for a "less than top-tier" school! We don't have a football team, but that allows our Marching Band more freedom to be creative.

There are lots of great schools in Texas...I have degrees from two of the ones you have chosen for your audition. I know many of the teachers at ALL of the schools listed, and they are not only fine teachers but good friends and good guys as well.

There are many things to take into consideration when choosing your school, so be sure to look at lots of angles....teachers, cost, ensembles, location. I'm not sure I'd ever judge a program based on their basketball pep band, though!

I'd be happy to hear you audition and visit with you about your choice!

Best wishes
Rick Bogard
Professor of Trumpet
University of Texas at Arlington
bogard@uta.edu
www.uta.edu/music
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry we didn't make your audition cut. Best of luck in your auditions.

Bill Takacs
Professor of Trumpet
West Texas A&M University
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bogard,

Oh gosh, I hope I didn't come across negatively regarding UTA's program! Rather, my intention was to pay you (and numerous other university-level trumpet teachers in Texas) a major compliment. The fact that I heard such impressive physical capabilities from players in a basketball band at a somewhat lesser-known school (compared with Rice/UNT/Juilliard/Eastman/Indiana/etc.) ought to "Yuugely" hint that the program said students are part of is top-notch! I certainly believe this about many programs here in Texas.
hacknfrack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: UNT Reply with quote

jasonbergman wrote:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:34 am Post subject:
Keep in mind that, due to the size of the program, and while the professors are superb, you might get a graduate student and not the main professor to study with.

---------

My studio currently has the following break down:
3 DMA
2 MM
2 Seniors
2 Juniors
5 Sophomores
3 Freshmen

As you can see, I make it a clear and deliberate point to teach all levels - especially freshmen and sophomores (8 total this year!)

Sorry to risk a slightly OT post, but...

I have noticed a considerable push by Jason since he has gotten to UNT make sure to continue that the whole trumpet area is included. When I was there 15 years ago, undergraduates also had the opportunity to study with full-time faculty, so it is a myth about TF-study only. From what I have seen, Jason may have stepped up what previously happened, so kudos to him.

And thanks, Ben, for the A&M-Kingsville promotion in this thread. I have a lot of hardworking students down here who (usually) make the job very enjoyable. And, we are 2 to 3.5 hours drive from a lot of places. I would be happy to speak with anyone about the program we have here. kyle.millsap@tamuk.edu

Kyle Millsap
Assistant Professor of Trumpet & Jazz
Texas A&M University-Kingsville
MaryT

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Texas Trumpet Teachers Reply with quote

Feel free to get in touch with me at Texas A&M - Corpus Christi. There are great opportunities here and I am happy to discuss them with you.
Mary Thornton
mary.thornton@tamucc.edu
YoungMW

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken lessons with Will Strieder, Jason Bergman, and William Takacs. They are all excellent players and teachers. I would recommend going somewhere you respect the teacher as a person, player and educator. I would also check out teachers like Ryan Anthony and Wiff Rudd.
JaredMoore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Schools in Texas Reply with quote

texastrumpet12 wrote:
Hello,

First time poster - I'm a high school senior in Texas and looking for music schools in the state. I've heard that these are good ones and looking for opinions, some big schools and some small. I've noticed all listed have Ensembles competing at NTC.

UNT
Texas Tech
Texas State
UT
Baylor
Tarleton State
West Texas AM
McMurry

Some of the greatest in texas are UNT Baylor and SMU. good luck.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the schools in Texas are great. Rice has a great man. North Texas will remain strong. If I were young again..............and I'm not, I would find these places and listen to their symphonic winds, lab bands, etc. If they are playing at an elite level, then they have great instrumental teachers. Baylor's symphonic winds it top notch, so they are developing great trumpeters. I mean, being 67 and looking back on it, I was very naive about going to college and was unprepared to do a thorough search. Also, don't start your senior year, start in your junior year and visit places close then, too. I was a baby boomer so, some state universities had closed applications by Oct. 1 of my senior year. To anyone still reading this link, best of luck.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Jason Bergman personally, but I don't see how you could go wrong at UNT. His new CD sounds incredible, and he has some seriously good students.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texastrumpet12 wrote:
Update...

After considering the original list of schools, my final audition list is (no certain order):

UNT
Tarleton State
Baylor (Already auditioned)
Texas Tech

...chose these schools because of the teacher's reputation...

These are all good schools to audition for. UNT has a great reputation and you should contact the trumpet prof and pay a visit to the school and check it out right now!
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andybharms wrote:
I don't know Jason Bergman personally, but I don't see how you could go wrong at UNT. His new CD sounds incredible, and he has some seriously good students.

I do know Jason personally, and he is a flawless player, excellent teacher, and a man of sterling character. He will take a personal interest in the development of every player in his studio and his department.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too know Jason personally, and I know where he lives!

We went to the same undergrad with the same teacher, although I was almost a decade later than him. I know a lot about him simply from what my teacher said. He was always the golden child

I can't see how you could go wrong studying with him. I cannot honestly say that about every teacher, but take it from someone who has had a lesson or two from Mr. Bergman, he is great. He is a nice and friendly, amiable person, which I think maybe lets people think that he isn't a great teacher, but nothing could be further from the truth. Give UNT a shot.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
I too know Jason personally, and I know where he lives!

We went to the same undergrad with the same teacher, although I was almost a decade later than him.

Go BYU Cougars!
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: