• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Burbank Trumpet Piccolo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: The Burbank Trumpet Piccolo Reply with quote

I'm not really in the market for a piccolo trumpet for any practical purpose but I'd really like to have one to learn on. I've been meandering through the used market and there's no shortage of instruments for sale but I've only ever played two in my life and they were both Yamaha. The Burbank Piccolo has just crossed my path and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight these instruments. I found an older thread that was pretty informative from a historical standpoint. Who out there has one and how do you feel about it?
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a Benge piccolo, which I think is the same thing as the Burbank.

I'm sure you know, built by Kanstul in Caifornia. So it's good build quality.

The one I used to play (always borrowed, I never owned it) played like a small French Selmer picc. Traditional picc sound, brilliant and clean. The one I played had a few different leadpipes from various manufacturers the owner said improved the horn. I don't know, I used the stock Benge Bb and A side pipe and it played good for me. Church functions mostly, Easter, Christmas, weddings etc.

If the Burbank is in good shape, and priced well, I think it would be a good buy. Piccolos are very expensive, Yamaha, schilke, are the most popular, Kanstul I think is probably next. But new they are a ton of $$$ A used Burbank or Benge if found for $900-$1200 as I've seen would be a very good buy.

Good luck
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what do you all think an older Selmer Pic in very good condition is worth?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.S,

Maybe not the same as a Benge.

dr_trumpet wrote:
Zig Kanstul also stamped some horns for them in the late 80s, early 90s. My piccolo trumpet is a Kanstul made Burbank Piccolo trumpet, the exact same model as the Besson that was for sale in the same time frame, and the CC-920 Kanstul, still available for sale.

I bought mine in 1990. August to be precise. Zig was making them and shipping them to whoever ordered them with whatever stamp was on the bell and trim. Mine says Burbank. A buddy got one that says Besson on it, and my trumpet teacher at IU had the Kanstul stamp, I think.

All three played well.

From this thread

Kevin,

Both trpthrld and dr_trumpet are still active members on this forum. Hopefully they will chime in, otherwise you can always shoot them a PM.

There are also people on here who can comment on the Kanstul 920, which based on dr_trumpet's post, is the same model. I have the ZKT-1520, which might be the same, but I am not enough of a picc player to give you a valid opinion.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I know this isn't the only pic thread active at the moment and I appreciate your feedback. I've been trying to read up as well. It sounds like a lot of people appreciate the Kanstul made pics far beyond the value. It sounds like it's worth at least trying it out.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Benge pic is wrapped like the Schilke P7-4. Kanstul does not offer this style pic, act the moment. The Kanstul 920 is laid out like the P5-4. The 1520 is similar to the 920 in layout, but has interchangeable bell flairs, valve slides and mouth pipes.

I'll see if I can reach Michael Thomas and ask him about the history of Burbank pics.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Benge pic like I've played.

http://www.centexbrass.com/listings/Bengepiccolo.php

Here's a modern Burbank picc

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Donald-Benge-and-Zig-Kanstul-Burbank-P415-A-B-flat-Piccolo-Trumpet-in-Lacquer/1986520_32474847789.html

They look pretty similar to me
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play tested dozens of the Burbank piccs, both the long- & short-bell models.

They ALL played wonderfully.

How good are they? That question is answered very easily with "How many have you seen for sale on this or other sites?"

Yeah...guys who have them know how good they are and do not want to part with them.

Here's the story on that picc:

Zig & Don Benge wanted to expand the Burbank line of trumpets & they decided to add a picc. To start, Zig borrowed Larry Ford's Schilke, and took measurements off of that horn. He did not take inside measurements and just assumed they were a .460 bore, when actually the Schilke is a .450 bore.

That difference in bore is what helped make them so much in demand, especially among those who don't play picc all that often. It was much easier to double on.

The short-bell model was copied off the Benge short-bell picc.

When Zig decided to go on with his own line of horns, the 2 piccs he offered were basically the Burbank piccs with a few cosmetic changes, none of which affected the way the horn plays.

Yes, you read that right - for a short time, there were two models of Kanstul piccs - a short- & long-bell. The long bells were more popular and Zig decided to drop the short-bell model.

At that time, Larry Ford was the trumpet professor at the University of Redlands. He spent time in (I think) the US Navy bands, did a run with Stan Kenton, and was also Julie Andrews' travelling Lead Trumpet player. Sadly Larry passed away way too soon in life. I never had the opportunity to meet or play with him.

What's the price that's being asked for the Burbank picc?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Benge and Burbank are like French Selmers

Modern Kanstul like the 920 looks like it's modeled after a Schilke

Bang for your buck? Used Benge or a Burbank would be a great buy. And those French designs sound more like the piccolo sound I've always liked anyway.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$950. Checking it out today. Fingers crossed!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:

WOW!!

Providing there's no red rot & the slides & valves work smooth & no dent trauma - that's a helluva good price! Not all that much more than what they sold for when first introduced.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:

If you need a piccolo, and as said this one is in good shape, at that price...scoop it up! Should be a winner. Good luck.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
kevin_soda wrote:

WOW!!

Providing there's no red rot & the slides & valves work smooth & no dent trauma - that's a helluva good price! Not all that much more than what they sold for when first introduced.

I don't know much about these horns other than what's been talked about or referred to in this thread, but finding a good piccolo by a well known maker for less than a grand is pretty much always a good deal.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it! What an awesome horn. Way more responsive than the Yamahas I played before. Great clear tone as well. It's gonna take my ears a bit to get used to where these notes are but I'm excited to make peace with this beast. Thanks for helping me build the confidence to dive in.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME! New toys are sweet! And man you got a hellava horn.

Congrats man, got a couple months to get that thang working right for Easter gigs!!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
I bought it! What an awesome horn. Way more responsive than the Yamahas I played before. Great clear tone as well. It's gonna take my ears a bit to get used to where these notes are but I'm excited to make peace with this beast. Thanks for helping me build the confidence to dive in.

The low register is where I screw up. I forget and use the equivalent Bb fingerings. Like 100 instead of 101.

I think it goes back to my seeing a note and not thinking "D" -> 100 -> play. Instead I see 100 -> play. No thought about it being a "D".

Congrats on the picc.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:

Don't force anything & the horn will sing for you.

Also keep the lead pipe clean...and as it so happens...I know of a little sumptin' that'll take care of that REALLY easy for ya!

kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so now what about my mouthpiece? I thoroughly enjoy my Monette XLT B4S S2 for all the styles I'm asked to play. It's a great all around piece. But, of course, Monette says I need to have a piccolo trumpet mouthpiece. I used my B4S S2 on the pic today and it seemed fine enough. Would I get much advantage from buying the same piece intended for pic? I understand the concept and why it could be important but is it really THAT noticeable?
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

Also keep the lead pipe clean...and as it so happens...I know of a little sumptin' that'll take care of that REALLY easy for ya!

*submitted*

THANKS!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Okay, so now what about my mouthpiece? I thoroughly enjoy my Monette XLT B4S S2 for all the styles I'm asked to play. It's a great all around piece. But, of course, Monette says I need to have a piccolo trumpet mouthpiece. I used my B4S S2 on the pic today and it seemed fine enough. Would I get much advantage from buying the same piece intended for pic? I understand the concept and why it could be important but is it really THAT noticeable?

I'm not familiar with Monette pieces & sizes.

As a general rule, long-bell style piccs play better with cornet shanks. Short-bells play better with trumpet shanks.

I have never been able to figure out why, but it's a good place to start.

For me personally, I use the same cup diameter and either the same cup or within one cup size deeper or shallower on my picc.

On Schilke mouthpieces that have an "X" on the back bore, that X means the back bore is .005" bigger, and is designed to fit Schilke picc lead pipes.

My suggestion is start with a cornet mouthpiece that's as close to the size Monette that you use and go from there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: