• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet etudes that are focused on pedals?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trolarg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Trumpet etudes that are focused on pedals? Reply with quote

Are there any trumpet etudes that are focused on the pedal range more than on the higher register? I had the privelage of going to a masterclass by Pacho Flores and he says that alot of modern composers are going into the pedal registers for their classical pieces, if anyone knows where i can find some id be very happy to know and try to play them!!
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I picked up "Low Etudes for Trumpet" by Phil Snedecor.

If you're looking to expand down low, it rarely goes below the low F, but it forces you to start listening for it and incorporating pedals as naturally as the rest of the registers.

You can do the reverse that many do to expand their upper register: start playing tunes down lower and lower than written. Start with simple stuff, and take it down by half steps.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only etudes I can think of that have pedals written into them are the etudes in Arban's "Etudes for the Cornet-Arban."

That is available from Hickey's Music Center as Arban's "Etudes for Cornet (Thibaud)" and from qpress.ca under the title "12 Studies for the Cornet."

Some of the etudes go down to the D#/Eb below low F#. They weren't intended to be played as pedals; the Cornet Arban had a lower natural range than today's cornets/trumpets.

As previously mentioned, Snedecor's "Low Etudes" does have low Fs, but they are intended to be played by fully extending the third-valve slide to put them in tune, not by lip bends, as you would play pedals from low F - low Db. That said, one could of course play the low Fs using lip bends instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: