• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugel Comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet great Rodney Booth compared several flugelhorns for us at the DFW Trumpetfest earlier today. The horns we a Conn Vintage One, Stomvi Elite, Yamaha Shew, Yamaha 631, Yamaha 731 and a Kanstul 1525.

Rod played the same ballad selection on each horn for us in a large church sanctuary.

The 6310Z was the only horn that didn't receive a first place vote from the audience. The panel was asked to pick their top five horns and give five points to their favorite and one point to their fifth favorite. Here are the sums:
Kanstul 47 points
Conn 40 points
631 38 points
731 33 points
Stomvi 27 points
6310Z 20 points

All but two of the voters said they preferred their flugels "dark" vs. "light". The 631 and 731 were very similar and may have taken votes from each other.

Rodney reported that all were much easier to play in tune than his old Selmer flugel.

IMHO, the Z had the lightest character. As a group, all the others were considerably darker, with the Kanstul being the darkest, but not overwhelmingly so. The Leblanc that I was expecting didn't show up.

Ciao,

Dave
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - a fascinating insight.

Just goes to show - you can't please everyone!
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I concluded that I could be happy with any of these flugels. (I'm keeping my 731 and I can't imagine looking at another flugel any time soon).

Dave
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more correction, the kanstul that was played in the test was a custom class and not a 1525. I thought the same thing until I looked at the stamp on the bell, which revealed it was a custom class with a copper bell.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew. I thought I saw "Signature" on it and then concluded that it was a 1525. Maybe I was seeing things. Gary is going to double check tomorrow, but it being a Custom Class would be consistent with Priscilla thinking that she sent us a Custom Class.

For those that don't know, the Custom Class is Kanstul's second line; therefore, the "win" by Kanstul was not by what they consider to be their top horn.

I'm going with the assumption that it was a CC horn and will update this thread only if it turns out that Gary has a Signature in the case at his house.

Dave

Dave
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely sent the Custom Class
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: