• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

**!!WARNING!!***THIS IS A JUPITER!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokinschilke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2573747696&category=41400
I mean, c'mon!! $3000 for a Jupiter that looks like a doiley?? What is wrong with this picture?? Why buy this when you can buy a Schilke or a Wild Thing?? This is a CON as far as I am concerned........my students have already been warned!
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm not saying this is a legit horn, especially for the money...but how do you know it's a jupiter? I can't read what's on the bell...

TIm
1912 Holton New Proportion cornet
Kanstul CCF 925 flugel
King 1122 MFH

10 out of 10 people die. Do you consider yourself to be a good person?
smokinschilke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the ad.....half way down in the description he actually tells you that it is a Jupiter........man, unreal!!!
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda reminiscent of my favorite Far Side cartoon: Two spiders building a web on the end of a playground slide. First spider says to second, "If we pull this off, we'll eat like Kings!"

- Paul Artola
Ellicott City, Maryland
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
smokinschilke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone bids on this thing, they are crazy!! Who the %^%##%$ does this guy think he is? I mean, this should be brought to the attention of the ITG. This is, what I would consider, a scam....nothing less.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm Down!!!!!!!!!

If someone wants to place a bid - that's only $995

It's only the Buy It Now that is high.

I realise that some people have a lot against both Jupiter and Harrelson, but that is no reason to call it a Scam. It would be a scam if he had not put that it was based upon a Jupiter, but he has done. What could possibly be a scam??

If someone is looking for a trumpet that will turn heads, yet can't afford a Taylor or a Monette - this could well be the one for them.

I have played some of the top end Jupiter trumpets and they are a lot better than many makes out there that people swear by. The one I tried played easily up to Double C and felt as if it would go higher without any problems.
If you have had bad experiences with these instruments, say so - if not, don't pass judgement on them until you have tried them.

It's a Jupiter - so what?
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jupiter make great horns for the money, my first horn was a jupiter, i used it up to a year ago when the valves went and the red rot spread, and that horn was almost as old as me. other than that there is only one manufacturing fault i could find with it and that was a small knock that must have have happend at assembly. jupiter horns have improved much since i got my one.

this one looks like one of the better ones from harrelson, its clean and quite attractive. i cant see any reason why someone shouldnt bid on this horn, yeah the bin price is high but thats only a bin, there going to be high.

have fun, sam
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I'm most impressed wtih is the quality of the work... Remember those first Harrelson modified trumpets we saw on eBay earlier this year? They had gaps, solder drips, etc. and looked like a high school project...

These modifications look professional, and look top notch... I'm still not sure what effect is has on a student level horn, but they are looking much better...
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have nothing against Jupiter, I actually think that the XO Tribune is an excellent horn. If this horn caught someone's eye and they wanted to bid up to $1299 or so, I'd see no harm BUT Harrelson himself says it has a "few dings". He even says something like "dings happen in a shop this busy." That's ridiculous. The reason you might buy something like this is because an artisan has sweated and toiled to make it as perfect (looking) as possible. Here, instead, the metal beater says, "dings happen." Ugh.

There are several proud and skilled artisans that can build "special" horns for those needing them. I don't think it's this guy. While he practices, you might try to buy something cheap, but I doubt that he'll ever be a top builder, unless he changes his attitude toward imperfections.

Ciao,

Dave
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that kind of money, why not buy a Blackburn trumpet? Lawler? Eclipse? Wild Thing?

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2003-11-16 09:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2003-11-16 09:16 ]
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, this is the telling phrase: "dings happen in a shop this busy!" Doesn't that indicate a lack of care to you, too?

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Buy It Now price was set so ridiculously high to give kids the impression that this is a top quality trumpet. It's just a marketing ploy not to be taken seriously (unless you are the parent of a kid with a pocket full of money!) If I used my VISA to purchase this horn I would probably get a call from MBNA questioning the validity of paying three grand for a JUPITER!!!! As always, let the buyer beware.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: